2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Interesting thought experiment...would you trade Boone Jenner if the haul is what Tanner Jeannot got?
I would seriously consider it. That haul was nuts for Jeannot. But I feel like I'd want to keep Jenner for organizational purposes - it wouldn't be a good look. I don't remember exactly when I felt like this was an issue (maybe after trading Bjorkstrand) but it's crossed my mind a few times this season and Jenner is one of the few remaining core players and probably brings intangibles that aren't worth trading for a pick haul. Tampa's picks are possibly pretty late, so the "1st rd pick" doesn't really have the same value if it's a #28 or so (just like the Boston pick, same thinking).

But:

I want to panic now. :help:

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I would seriously consider it. That haul was nuts for Jeannot. But I feel like I'd want to keep Jenner for organizational purposes - it wouldn't be a good look. I don't remember exactly when I felt like this was an issue (maybe after trading Bjorkstrand) but it's crossed my mind a few times this season and Jenner is one of the few remaining core players and probably brings intangibles that aren't worth trading for a pick haul. Tampa's picks are possibly pretty late, so the "1st rd pick" doesn't really have the same value if it's a #28 or so (just like the Boston pick, same thinking).

But:

I want to panic now. :help:

Oof. The options are drying up. Not good.

Boston really f***ed us. I’m not panicking yet but the optics are not looking good.

Reactions: Doggy

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

I imagine obviously they are talking to us about Gavrikov too. I don’t think anything is close. They’re just gauging the market

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Gavrikov was never getting the Savard package because he’s nowhere near the player Savard was. Gavrikov has been overrated by most CBJ fans for most of his time, and Savard was underrated for essentially his entire time on the CBJ.

Fully prepared for a Gavrikov/Korpisalo package to add to whatever we can get in return.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Appears our only path to a first rounder for Gavrikov is with an extension.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Gavrikov was never getting the Savard package because he’s nowhere near the player Savard was. Gavrikov has been overrated by most CBJ fans for most of his time, and Savard was underrated for essentially his entire time on the CBJ.

Fully prepared for a Gavrikov/Korpisalo package to add to whatever we can get in return.
Except for Savard's last season, you're right. In the last one David played very bad.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Interesting thought experiment...would you trade Boone Jenner if the haul is what Tanner Jeannot got?
I’d want multiple 1sts and even then idk if it’s worth it.

Appears our only path to a first rounder for Gavrikov is with an extension.

So we are trying to get players who don’t want to be here? That’s gonna work..

Jarmo overplayed his hand in Gavrikov, I’m hoping for a 2023 2nd rounder at this point.
Boston did not f*** us. Jarmo set the price way too high and by the time he realized he was getting undercut nobody else really was interested.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I’d want multiple 1sts and even then idk if it’s worth it.

So we are trying to get players who don’t want to be here? That’s gonna work..

Jarmo overplayed his hand in Gavrikov, I’m hoping for a 2023 2nd rounder at this point.
Did he? Maybe Gavrikov was willing to sign an extension in Boston and that's why Jarmo was holding firm. Friedman did say there was a lot of interesting stuff going on behind the scenes.

Reactions: LJ7

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

O.K imagine, we would trade Boone. So the question is. Who could be the captain? Not only have C but be really captain? Kuraly? No. Werenski or Gaudreau? Also no. We don't have similar type of player but need him. The real leader whose professionalism should be an example to young players.
That's why I think Boone's trade would be a bad mistake.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Boston did not f*** us. Jarmo set the price way too high and by the time he realized he was getting undercut nobody else really was interested.
Boston did f*** us and jarmo did set the price too high (which is what you do when starting negotiations) and Boston met a certain price. Involving a first. Whether we didn’t want to take back salary (Smith) or retain on him or what, Boston needed more time to satisfy their cap needs. In this time, orlov became available, and they went with that instead.

Backing out of an agreed upon deal is f***ing someone over. It’s not illegal, but it’s bad business practice. Anyone involved in business would tell you that. Doesn’t mean you can’t do it, doesn’t mean they were “wrong” to do it. It still isn’t good practice and I don’t think you’ll see jarmo doing business with Boston unless it’s necessary to do so.

Reactions: CBJx614

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
So Jackets want to be back "in the thick of things" next year but they also do not want to make a trade that would improve their roster because they would have to spend money on an expiring contract? :huh:

I don't know how all of the TDL "reports" we've gotten recently could be totally true.

Yes, if they're not going to be in competition for a WC spot next season.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio

My Monday rant...

I don't get why anyone would think CBJ should trade Boone. Sure, other teams want him - in the same vein that CBJ or any other team would want McDavid, or Draistll or Mathews or MacKinnon, or any other C you can identify on another team. They just aren't for sale. I'm not suggesting that Boone is on a tier with any of those players. But would EDM or COL would give up McDavid/Draisatl/MacKinnon for 5, 6 or even 7 first round picks (assuming that such a trade was even permitted)? Doubtful. Especially not if the trade was to a middling/contending team even in the opposite conference - those picks would be late in the first round, not top 5 picks...so not even a guaranteed NHL'er comes out of that bunch of picks. And not sure any NHL team would be willing to trade that much of the future on one player - when one injury could change the dynamic completely (and yes, I know the Browns did it, idiots).

Jenner plays C. He's 18-16-34 on this season. He's 55.89% on the dot. He's on a very team-friendly contract.
I agree Jenner is miscast as a 1C, but he's still a really good 2C and an exceptional 3C on any club, even moreso on a contender.
That contender would also then have the benefit of that team-friendly contract for a few more years.
Boone is 29, not 34. Yes, Boone raises concerns with his back injuries - and yet he's playing with his usual reckless abandon. He's the only motor for the CBJ; as bad as they've been this year, it is not because of Boone Jenner. He's worth infintely more than Jeanot.

Jeanot scored 24 goals last year as rookie; this year he is 5-9-14. Jeanot is not in as deep a sophomore slump as our own Sillinger, but it starts bordering on that. If Jeanot is worth 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks, Jenner's worth to the CBJ is far in excess of that. Maybe a top C prospect and 2 or 3 1sts plus some later round picks? And yet none of those late first round picks coming back are guaranteed to ever play an NHL game.

I would not be shopping Jenner; if some team wanted to make an opening offer of a young C with high ceiling plus at least 2 1st round picks and a few later round picks, you'd have to listen. But in the end, I probably still wouldn't make the trade. If we draft the 1C (Bedard, et al), and they prove out as anticipated, then Boone gets re-slotted to the 2nd/3rd C on a contract that would still be team friendly - and Boone is still providing competitive drive for a team in 2 years that at least is sniffing the PO's. We still would need a 2C-3C. Boone wouldn't be the 1C but he would still be the motor that got this team into and through a playoff push.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
so Gavrikov is mad at the organization while we’re trying to get rid of him, and the new guy we’re trying to get to replace him doesn’t want to be here and is mad we’re being included in the rumored teams. Seems very on brand for CBJ land.
Wonder if we could trade for Jeff Carter again? :)

• Wow
Reactions: DJA and Fro

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Boston did f*** us and jarmo did set the price too high (which is what you do when starting negotiations)
don't think you can say that he set the price 'too' high if boston met it with weeks to spare before the deadline.

the issue is that washington and nashville both deciding to sell + gavrikov being picky about where he'll sign an extension (after weeks of being able to talk to teams) has crushed the market for him.

Backing out of an agreed upon deal is f***ing someone over. It’s not illegal, but it’s bad business practice. Anyone involved in business would tell you that. Doesn’t mean you can’t do it, doesn’t mean they were “wrong” to do it. It still isn’t good practice and I don’t think you’ll see jarmo doing business with Boston unless it’s necessary to do so.
they also had a deal in place on the draft floor for chychrun, and that fell through at the last minute after arizona traded up to get geekie.

i don't think it's necessarily a rarity for this kind of thing to happen, but it's interesting that this has basically happened twice in the last few months to the jackets in the pursuit of the same player. it's like chychrun is jarmo's white whale.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
My Monday rant...

I don't get why anyone would think CBJ should trade Boone. Sure, other teams want him - in the same vein that CBJ or any other team would want McDavid, or Draistll or Mathews or MacKinnon, or any other C you can identify on another team. They just aren't for sale. I'm not suggesting that Boone is on a tier with any of those players. But would EDM or COL would give up McDavid/Draisatl/MacKinnon for 5, 6 or even 7 first round picks (assuming that such a trade was even permitted)? Doubtful. Especially not if the trade was to a middling/contending team even in the opposite conference - those picks would be late in the first round, not top 5 picks...so not even a guaranteed NHL'er comes out of that bunch of picks. And not sure any NHL team would be willing to trade that much of the future on one player - when one injury could change the dynamic completely (and yes, I know the Browns did it, idiots).

Jenner plays C. He's 18-16-34 on this season. He's 55.89% on the dot. He's on a very team-friendly contract.
I agree Jenner is miscast as a 1C, but he's still a really good 2C and an exceptional 3C on any club, even moreso on a contender.
That contender would also then have the benefit of that team-friendly contract for a few more years.
Boone is 29, not 34. Yes, Boone raises concerns with his back injuries - and yet he's playing with his usual reckless abandon. He's the only motor for the CBJ; as bad as they've been this year, it is not because of Boone Jenner. He's worth infintely more than Jeanot.

Jeanot scored 24 goals last year as rookie; this year he is 5-9-14. Jeanot is not in as deep a sophomore slump as our own Sillinger, but it starts bordering on that. If Jeanot is worth 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks, Jenner's worth to the CBJ is far in excess of that. Maybe a top C prospect and 2 or 3 1sts plus some later round picks? And yet none of those late first round picks coming back are guaranteed to ever play an NHL game.

I would not be shopping Jenner; if some team wanted to make an opening offer of a young C with high ceiling plus at least 2 1st round picks and a few later round picks, you'd have to listen. But in the end, I probably still wouldn't make the trade. If we draft the 1C (Bedard, et al), and they prove out as anticipated, then Boone gets re-slotted to the 2nd/3rd C on a contract that would still be team friendly - and Boone is still providing competitive drive for a team in 2 years that at least is sniffing the PO's. We still would need a 2C-3C. Boone wouldn't be the 1C but he would still be the motor that got this team into and through a playoff push.
I haven't seen anywhere where Jarmo is shopping Jenner. All I have seen is that teams are inquiring on Jenner. And Jarmo should listen. I'm not saying we should trade him, but if someone wants to grossly overpay for Jenner I think Jarmo would be a fool not to take it. Jenner is a great locker room guy and a good hockey player. But he's a 3C who can play 2C well who is currently having to play 1C. And he's doing a good job at it. But he's way overused for what he actually is.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I don't get why anyone would think CBJ should trade Boone. Sure, other teams want him - in the same vein that CBJ or any other team would want McDavid, or Draistll or Mathews or MacKinnon, or any other C you can identify on another team.

I think you might to re-examine those comps.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Jenner is not untradeable but it would take a lot to get him. Again if someone comes calling with 2 firsts plus a good prospect you have to think about it. The entire problem is what is our solution at C if that happens? Roslovic?
If he would be traded slap the C on Zach W next season.

My worry is if you trade Jenner - do you blow the whole thing up? I mean does Johnny want to be here if you have Roslovic or Sillinger as 1C? Even if we "win" the trade (as Jarmo does) but ends up being a place noone wants to be at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad