2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I keep thinking LA Kings would be a good option to look at Gavrikov and possibly Korpisalo. I know the thought is they want a player with term but that sounded like the case to give up their 1st. What about something around Rasmus Kupari and their 2nd as part of some structure around Gavrikov and Korpi. Kupari looks to be NHL ready and while not booming yet, he has a skillset that looks like a top 6 center. I was a little concerned he may be too much like Roslovic but watching him recently I'm not sure that's fair. He looks to have more upside and continues to learn.
Gavrikov does not want to sign extension with anybody at this time.
He wants to be free agent this summer.
LA has no interest in rentals.
It will be fair trade if Gavrikov was ready to sign extension.

Reactions: majormajor and LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So if Pagnotta is correct, Jarmo has/had no plan B to move Gavrikov.

You act like he has some control over the market. It looks to me like the A plan (Boston) was much better for us than the alternatives so it makes sense that he waited on that. I really don't think there's a 1st on offer, most of them are gone and Meier, Kane, Chychrun, etc... are all still out there.

Reactions: GoJackets1

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Niederreiter was just traded from Nashville to Winnipeg for a 2024 2nd. That's a little on the low side. Forward and getting a bit older so not comparable.... but I'm now in the "worried" camp. Might be a lacklustre return on our players, the big returns will be gone after Meier and Kane are traded.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Roslovic has started his annual hot streak. He's got to go. Korpisalo too. If the young players heat up and spoil the tank, that's fine, but our inconsistent veterans can't be doing this.

I do have the feeling that Roslovic is not part of the long term plans but I'm not too hopeful of a deadline trade. Spare cap is dear and the Jackets seem to be focused on cutting maximal salary, so no $ coming back. There's no one to take the other side of that deal.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Niederreiter was just traded from Nashville to Winnipeg for a 2024 2nd. That's a little on the low side. Forward and getting a bit older so not comparable.... but I'm now in the "worried" camp. Might be a lacklustre return on our players, the big returns will be gone after Meier and Kane are traded.

no chance Nino was going to fetch anything greater in value than a 2nd round pick. this shouldn’t worry you much.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Smartest thing to do now is wait. No sense selling him for a 2nd+ whatever when you can just get that on Friday. Maybe they’ll get lucky and someone will get desperate and pony up the first. Looking bleak though

I'd take a 2nd+3rd now, assuming it's available. I do think it could be worse on deadline day. Weird year.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Just remember this is the brain trust that signed Gubranson, traded Bjorkstrand and traded Domi for scraps.

I think you are giving them wayyy too much forethought.
I don't have a problem with those deals you referenced. Bjorkstrand has 11 goals on the 3rd line on a playoff expansion team. There is a reason Domi can't stick in any city he has played in. Gudbranson is a bit overpaid but he is what he was brought here to be and is our only real stay at home defensemen as sad as that is.

Kane isn’t playing tonight. The Chicago tank is on
And the CBJ does what they always do. Win meaningless games and give false hope for next year.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Looks like a good deal to me but if ownership wasn't willing to retain on Gavrikov last time then why would they do it now. It always saves money to unload a retained player but it saves more to not retain, it seems like that is the directive.

I also don't think Edmonton is in on Gavrikov anymore. They listened to Connor and Leon who told them that the D type they need is a top puckmover. That supposedly also put them off the Chychrun hunt. They might even sooner pick up Gostisbehere, which feels a bit wild.

If I'm figuring this right Gavy is owed about $1.2m in real money for the rest of this season. If Priest is balking at paying $600k in real money to get a 1st and a 3rd instead of say two 2nds then this is just downright embarrassing.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
You act like he has some control over the market. It looks to me like the A plan (Boston) was much better for us than the alternatives so it makes sense that he waited on that. I really don't think there's a 1st on offer, most of them are gone and Meier, Kane, Chychrun, etc... are all still out there.

This is the key. There's a lot more sellers this year than usual so if the market isn't there for a 1st rounder then Jarmo isn't going to get a 1st rounder no matter what he does.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Just remember this is the brain trust that signed Gubranson, traded Bjorkstrand and traded Domi for scraps.

I think you are giving them wayyy too much forethought.

No one would take Voráček, Nyquist can be used in PK, the third line, also his contracted finishes after this season. Besides, don't forget that there are youngsters like Marchenko, Chinakhov (It's pitu he has injured), and he is also under contract for a few years. I didn't like his trade only just try to understand the logic of the management.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Looks like a good deal to me but if ownership wasn't willing to retain on Gavrikov last time then why would they do it now. It always saves money to unload a retained player but it saves more to not retain, it seems like that is the directive.
Still hoping somebody posts a link that confirms the unwillingness to retain.

Reactions: MissADD and Xoggz22

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Still hoping somebody posts a link that confirms the unwillingness to retain.
Its all just speculation. My guess on happened is they had a deal with Boston, but Boston has to find someone to eat 25% of Gavi contract, and while doing that search they found a deal where they could get Orlov and dump Smiths contract at the same time. Like I said its just guess. Another thing I thought of is we know the CBJ have been rumored to be in Chychrun, maybe the unwillingness to takes on Smiths contract, because of Chychrun, lead Boston to look for a deal to dump Smith too and they found a deal they liked where they could get a defenseman and dump Smith.

Reactions: CBJx614

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Smartest thing to do now is wait. No sense selling him for a 2nd+ whatever when you can just get that on Friday. Maybe they’ll get lucky and someone will get desperate and pony up the first. Looking bleak though
Bird in the hand theory. Take what you can get asap.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If I'm figuring this right Gavy is owed about $1.2m in real money for the rest of this season. If Priest is balking at paying $600k in real money to get a 1st and a 3rd instead of say two 2nds then this is just downright embarrassing.
It’s got to be less than that. Salaries are only paid during the regular season.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
By all accounts, the Bruins did nothing wrong. Kekalainen would have been perfectly justified to accept another trade for Gavrikov if one had became available, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. He waited — and waited — because it was not only a fair offer, but the best offer he had.

According to one league source, the Bruins had requested the Blue Jackets include fourth-line winger Mathieu Olivier in the trade with Gavrikov. That makes sense, as the acquisition of Hathaway in the deal with Washington suggests the Bruins were looking for a physical presence.

But Boston, by waiting a few extra days, was able to landed Orlov and Hathaway, two impact players on a club that’s already been the best in the league since the first week of the season.

The Blue Jackets are still shopping Gavrikov. On Saturday, they recalled defenseman Billy Sweezeyfrom AHL Cleveland so that they could have an extra defenseman for Sunday’s game in Minnesota. Gavrikov is expected to be a healthy scratch for a seventh straight game.

If they can land a first-round pick for Gavrikov — Edmonton, Los Angeles and Toronto are seen as likely destinations — the pick potentially could be flipped to acquire defenseman Jakob Chychrun in a trade with Arizona. That is, if Los Angeles or another team doesn’t deal for Chychrun first.

But getting a first-round pick for Gavrikov might not be so simple. In an already tough season for the Blue Jackets, the trade with the Bruins falling through is another tough blow.

And for Boston, landing Orlov and Hathaway is further proof that this might just be the Bruins’ year.

Reactions: tunnelvision

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

GAVRIKOV PRICE DROPPING​

The Columbus Blue Jackets held firm on their asking price of a first-round draft pick and third-round draft pick for defenceman Vladislav Gavrikov. They thought the Boston Bruins were going to pay it. Now, with Boston out of the equation, they’re exploring alternative options and it seems like the price will have to come down.

So far, as of Sunday morning, there is nothing close on the Gavrikov trade front, according to a source with knowledge of trade discussions.

The Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Los Angeles Kings, Carolina Hurricanes and Winnipeg Jets all showed interest before and are expected to circle back, but I’d be surprised at this point if any team coughs up the originally price tag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad