2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I keep thinking LA Kings would be a good option to look at Gavrikov and possibly Korpisalo. I know the thought is they want a player with term but that sounded like the case to give up their 1st. What about something around Rasmus Kupari and their 2nd as part of some structure around Gavrikov and Korpi. Kupari looks to be NHL ready and while not booming yet, he has a skillset that looks like a top 6 center. I was a little concerned he may be too much like Roslovic but watching him recently I'm not sure that's fair. He looks to have more upside and continues to learn.

Reactions: kinghock and LJ7

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
What about something around Rasmus Kupari and their 2nd as part of some structure around Gavrikov and Korpi. Kupari looks to be NHL ready and while not booming yet, he has a skillset that looks like a top 6 center.
Any idea where his defensive game is at the moment? I haven't followed his career. I'm asking that because I think that maybe we should look for center "projects" who would seem to be able to do their role properly in 3rd/4th line, in case 1) they don't pan out as legit 1/2C (Sapovaliv from Vegas for example, one of your favorite C prospects iirc), or 2) we find a better solution for those higher positions with the top pick this year.

Reactions: LJ7

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Third line centers ????? Seems we have plenty of those already.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Third line centers ????? Seems we have plenty of those already.
Is there a lot of depth in the system, like for the next 3 years?

Danforth and Jenner are both injury-prone and turning 30 this year. Kuraly also over 30.

Sillinger is a big question mark. We don't know yet whether Voronkov will be a better fit at center or wing.

Foudy and Roslovic don't seem to be part of the future.

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
This very ownership group just spent to the cap and retained money on both Savard and Foligno (and I believe Domi) which you pointed out. I don’t think this was an ownership issue. I think it was a Boston issue.
Just putting this out there. Pagnotta on twitter had said this...

Pagnotta said "#CBJ won't wait forever. It's understood that if another team swoops in with a competitive/better offer, they could go that route. Ball (or puck) is in Boston's court as they try to make the $ work."

If so, Boston was "locked-in" but CBJ could still shop?
Doesn't sound like a fair deal to me.

Source - Check 2/2 in post

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Was listening to Friedman and Marek on the 32TP and they mentioned how the last two deals this deadline that has involved a first round pick has required two assets going to the team that is trading it. (RoR and Acciari, Orlov and Hathaway) and how that will be the common theme this year if you want a first.

I then see this tweet:

So Edmonton has interest in Gus AND Gavrikov. And unlike the RoR or Hathaway deal, it doesn't require salary cap gymnastics other than fitting Gavrikov's contract. So, if they want both we could maybe get that deal done.

Gavrikov (50% retained) + Nyquist for EDM 1st and Jesse Puljujarvi.

Not only does Edmonton GAIN 2M in cap space by getting rid of Puljujarvi AND getting Gavrikov at 50%, they also get a "free" playoff winger in Nyquist. And with their new cap savings they could go out and try to find another deal for another forward if they wanted. Also jackets ownership saves money too in real cash.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Was listening to Friedman and Marek on the 32TP and they mentioned how the last two deals this deadline that has involved a first round pick has required two assets going to the team that is trading it. (RoR and Acciari, Orlov and Hathaway) and how that will be the common theme this year if you want a first.

I then see this tweet:

So Edmonton has interest in Gus AND Gavrikov. And unlike the RoR or Hathaway deal, it doesn't require salary cap gymnastics other than fitting Gavrikov's contract. So, if they want both we could maybe get that deal done.

Not only does Edmonton GAIN 2M in cap space by getting rid of Puljujarvi AND getting Gavrikov at 50%, they also get a "free" playoff winger in Nyquist. And with their new cap savings they could go out and try to find another deal for another forward if they wanted.

And I remind you that Puljujarvi is RFA after the season, so if Jarmo isn't satisfied with his play, we don't need to sign him. There's one more option. Negotiate a lower contract before the start of free agency.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

We’ll find out in about a week but Jarmo may have gotten outsmarted this time.

Not necessarily. I forget who said it but someone brought the good point that Boston may have been trying to find someone to help them with salary, and while doing that they found a way to dump Craig Smith and get orlov, thus making trading for Gavrikov pointless for them. Not saying he didn't get outsmarted

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Not necessarily. I forget who said it but someone brought the good point that Boston may have been trying to find someone to help them with salary, and while doing that they found a way to dump Craig Smith and get orlov, thus making trading for Gavrikov pointless for them. Not saying he didn't get outsmarted
True. We'll see where the end result ends up. I certainly hope he was shopping for a better deal over the last week instead of just sitting back and waiting. I sort of wonder if a better deal isn't out there if it hasn't happened yet.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
True. We'll see where the end result ends up. I certainly hope he was shopping for a better deal over the last week instead of just sitting back and waiting. I sort of wonder if a better deal isn't out there if it hasn't happened yet.
Just remember this is the brain trust that signed Gubranson, traded Bjorkstrand and traded Domi for scraps.

I think you are giving them wayyy too much forethought.

Youngguns1380

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
This is also the same brain trust that traded Savard and Foligno for first-round picks
Yea, I know different time and great business heads change tactics with the landscape. You can’t keep using the same club, you should be using all the clubs in your bag. Seems like they only have one club and that is my way or the highway.

That is why I had the comment there is no forethought. They assumed Boston would acquiesce but this is a different landscape and time. Instead of pushing to get a signature on the deal - ala Jerry Mcguire.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Yea, I know different time and great business heads change tactics with the landscape. You can’t keep using the same club, you should be using all the clubs in your bag. Seems like they only have one club and that is my way or the highway.

That is why I had the comment there is no forethought. They assumed Boston would acquiesce but this is a different landscape and time. Instead of pushing to get a signature on the deal - ala Jerry Mcguire.
How do you know they didn't?! It's pure speculation.

Reactions: majormajor

Youngguns1380

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Which would imply that he drilled down on them to sign the deal and not wait.
That could be an interpretation but i highly doubt it, probably more of this is the deal and keep drilling without changing the angle snd he hit a nerve this time.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I then see this tweet:

Not only does Edmonton GAIN 2M in cap space by getting rid of Puljujarvi AND getting Gavrikov at 50%, they also get a "free" playoff winger in Nyquist. And with their new cap savings they could go out and try to find another deal for another forward if they wanted. Also jackets ownership saves money too in real cash.

Looks like a good deal to me but if ownership wasn't willing to retain on Gavrikov last time then why would they do it now. It always saves money to unload a retained player but it saves more to not retain, it seems like that is the directive.

I also don't think Edmonton is in on Gavrikov anymore. They listened to Connor and Leon who told them that the D type they need is a top puckmover. That supposedly also put them off the Chychrun hunt. They might even sooner pick up Gostisbehere, which feels a bit wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad