2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Not because of one failed trade, because of 22 years of ineptitude. This is just the latest example, so it’s being added to the list of grievances
22 years of ineptitude is a bit of an over reaction. Only real inept years were the Dougie Mac era. There were deffo bad moves in the years that followed, but to say it was inept is like I said an over reaction.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
The rumors I'm hearing around local youth hockey circles is that a change of ownership might be forthcoming -- or at the very least being explored. That could be very good or very bad.
I thought Browns owner Haslam wanted to buy into the CBJ. He already has Browns and Crew...and looking at partial ownership of some NBA team. So he seems to have money burning a hole in his pocket.

Reactions: MissADD

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I thought Browns owner Haslam wanted to buy into the CBJ. He already has Browns and Crew...and looking at partial ownership of some NBA team. So he seems to have money burning a hole in his pocket.
Can he, though? His brother already owns the Preds.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
D on the market
McCabe
Chychrun
Karlsson
Klingberg
Ghost
Dumba
Schenn

With forwards out there like
Kane
Meier
Boeser
Toews
ROR
Domi

And the potential for Orlov, Jensen, Eller

Playoff teams
Bruins - rumored in on Chychrun
Leafs - rumored in on everyone, allegedly not trading 1st for rental
Bolts - don’t need D
Hurricanes - don’t need D
Devils - maybe
Rangers - no 1st rd pick
Pens - maybe
Stars - don’t need D
Jets - maybe
Avs - don’t need D
Knights - don’t need D
Kraken - maybe
Oilers - maybe
Kings - rumored in on Chychrun
On Feb 13th I posted this saying that I was worried about the trade market for Gavrikov, and I specifically pointed out that the Capitals might be sellers at the TDL.
Feb 14th the CBJ hold out Gavrikov for trade related reasons
Starting Feb 14th the Caps lose 5 straight, taking them out of a playoff spot.
Then Orlov gets dealt to Boston.

I guess the thing is for me, I feel like Jarmo should have had a better understating of the market than he did - or acted with more urgency than he did. Once Orlov became available the leverage drastically changed. Now that the Bruins are out of the market, I think the price for Gavrikov is even lower and the number of teams with interest fewer.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
On Feb 13th I posted this saying that I was worried about the trade market for Gavrikov, and I specifically pointed out that the Capitals might be sellers at the TDL.

I was wondering this last month when more and more D were being rumored to be available.

Have we held on to Gavrikov too long? Now Provorov is rumored to be available. Could that hurt the value of Gavrikov? If he goes to a team like Edmonton, that is one less bidder for Gavrikov.

But I am not going to freak out yet. There is still another week to make a trade. Boston and Toronto have made some moves. Let’s see how the Canes, Lightning, etc. respond.

Reactions: Cowumbus

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I am still trying to understand how any of this is Boston “playing” Jarmo.

I think it’s a good example of what could crudely be described as “own culture”, the wall street Reddit everything needs to be a dunk mentality. It’s why you see the phrase “slammed” a lot in news when in reality some politician jsut made some disagreeing remark about another politicians view. But nope, ooooo, slammed! Owned! Boom! POW!

Bruins played Columbus if they used their deal to leverage a better offer, it doesn’t apply. The only one that could have played anyone here would be Columbus.

In the real estate market, what we saw here happens all the time. Deals aren’t final until the ink dries. People will put in an offer on a house or tentatively agree to a deal only to have a cash buyer swoop in leaving the little johny and Jill millennial holding the bag, but no one was played in this scenario and what happened here is the same deal.

Good luck to the blue jackets I have no Ill will against your team or fanbase

Oh and hi Viqsi !

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
It was back to Square 1 with Columbus and Gavrikov on Friday morning. The Oilers have had a number of conversations with them on him over the past month, but the price was always too high. Maybe it comes down now. My sense is Edmonton was interested in getting back into the Gavrikov conversation Friday. Do the Leafs and Kings also inquire? I still think Jakob Chychrun is the top attraction for Los Angeles, and I don’t think Kings GM Rob Blake wants to spend a first-round pick for a rental player, which is also why I’m told he wasn’t really a player on Orlov.

Also says the CBJ are seething at the bruins.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I would like to point out this board has gone into complete meltdown, all because one trade didn't happen, with over a week left until the deadline, when according to Friedman, a source most, if not all of us trust, at least one GM thought a deal was done. Maybe should put a pause on hitting the doomed button and do the non-doomer speculation. Save the doomer talk if a deal doesn't happen in the next 172 hours
No! Jarmo needs fired since one rumored trade didnt happen!

Agreed, can we at least save the Jarmo is a fool shit until the TDL is over. Ya'll are speculating over speculation without knowing any of the true details. None of us know how hard it is(or isnt) to move contracts right now. If come TDL we still have Gavrikov, Nyquist or maybe only get a late 2nd or 3rd for Gavi, ill agree...but lets wait a few more days at least.

Reactions: squashmaple

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I probably shouldn’t fuss about it because no one likes it when I do but I can’t help but notice we’re relitigating a decade-old free agent signing in the 2023 trade deadline thread.
Yeah, my bad. I merely pointed out a statement that was not factually correct and it escalated. I should have known better with us all on razor's edge. :) That's why I've dropped it from my end. Sorry boss!

• Haha
Reactions: CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Last tweet I’ll send about this situation but it does seem to back the thought that there was a verbal agreement

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
@cbjthrowaway: “same ownership that insisted on moving horton for clarkson because they'd rather spend $5m on a shitty player than on a guy who isn't playing.”
right, my point is that not retaining on gavy is VERY on-brand for this ownership group.

1. electing additional coverage on horton in 13-14 (while he was already out and therefore they wouldn't be reimbursed) would've cost millions. other franchise may have ponied that up. cbj's penny pinching had a fine enough rationale here but was still a case of not wanting to spend millions (insurance premiums, in this case) on someone who wasn't going to suit up.

2. the result of that decision was horton sustaining another injury that was uncovered, leaving them with an asset who they were paying millions of dollars for that couldn't suit up.

3. to rectify that, ownership pushed the front office to trade horton for someone who could suit up and the only way to do that was by taking on the worst contract in the league

4. that guy then ended up getting hurt, too (exact same injury iirc) – ownership once again decided they didn't want to pay millions to a guy who couldn't play, so they told jarmo to get that off the books, which led to the jackets trading their first rounder in the VGK expansion draft.

5. later, at the 2021 and 2022 deadlines, the jackets did not act as a third party retention broker in any deal, despite having ample cap space and saying they were open to doing it. in other words, not wanting to spend money on someone who wasn't going to play for them.

6. then, last week, jarmo found a taker for gavrikov who could meet his (lofty) asking price, but missed out on that deal because ownership, once again, didn't want to spend money on a guy who wasn't going to play for them.

that's not to say that they haven't retained occasionally (foligno, savard) or even bought guys out (wennberg while he was cheap to buy out), but there's a clear trend here. even the coyotes don't have this problem – half of their cap is guys who don't play for them!

that trend has, in the last few years, cost the jackets two first round picks (their own in 2017 and boston's this year).

the jackets ownership group will pay assets to get rid of money, but won't pay money to acquire assets. no other GM has to deal with this!

• Haha
Reactions: domi28

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
right, my point is that not retaining on gavy is VERY on-brand for this ownership group.
This very ownership group just spent to the cap and retained money on both Savard and Foligno (and I believe Domi) which you pointed out. I don’t think this was an ownership issue. I think it was a Boston issue.

Reactions: Monk and Cowumbus

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Also FWIW. Boston had this same thing happen to them with iginla in 2013. Different GM, same ownership. They know the game

Reactions: I3LI3

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
22 years of ineptitude is a bit of an over reaction. Only real inept years were the Dougie Mac era. There were deffo bad moves in the years that followed, but to say it was inept is like I said an over reaction.
Playoff success/overall record says otherwise. You are what your record says you are.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
4. that guy then ended up getting hurt, too (exact same injury iirc) – ownership once again decided they didn't want to pay millions to a guy who couldn't play, so they told jarmo to get that off the books, which led to the jackets trading their first rounder in the VGK expansion draft.
Used to guarantee they wouldn’t lose Josh Anderson. Whom eventually was traded for Domi, who was then traded for _____ nothing.
the jackets ownership group will pay assets to get rid of money, but won't pay money to acquire assets. no other GM has to deal with this!
:laugh: poor Jarmo
A team at the salary cap shouldn’t need to pay money to acquire assets.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Used to guarantee they wouldn’t lose Josh Anderson. Whom eventually was traded for Domi, who was then traded for a 6th round pick.

:laugh: poor Jarmo
A team at the salary cap shouldn’t need to pay money to acquire assets.
Domi was traded for a 6th?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad