2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Domi and a 6th for Hreschuk actually. So basically nothing.

Jarmo inherited a 6'3'' RW, publicly negotiated his bridge deal, burning the relationship over - what - $200k/season?, and was forced to trade him for Max Domi and a 3rd round pick (Knazko), then turned Domi into Aidan Hreschuk, while paying Florida a 2022 6th (Joshua Davies) to take on 50% of the cap hit (is he still the only GM who's had to pay another team to do that rather than the acquiring team?).

Brilliant asset management. Chef's kiss.

Anderson + a 2022 6th is now Samuel Knazko and Aidan Hreschuk.

EDIT - that 6th round pick came from the Riley Nash trade to Toronto.

So you can view it as Riley Nash and Max Domi for Aidan Hreschuk OR
Josh Anderson & Riley Nash for Aidan Hreschuk and Samuel Knazko

Last edited:
Reactions: domi28

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Used to guarantee they wouldn’t lose Josh Anderson.
the trade was "2017 first, 2019 second and david clarkson for expansion draft considerations"

given the market for contracts at the time (florida giving up crouse a year after picking him in the top 10 to get rid of bolland's contract) and the other moves VGK made, it's clear that most of that draft comp was to get them to take clarkson.

the cost for vegas in that draft to have them take a particular player ranged from a late round pick (carrier, brickley) up to a second round pick (fleury, garrison) if they were really doing the team a favor. the price to take a contract was a lot higher (theodore for stoner, marchessault for smith, tuch for haula).

the isles also gave vegas their 2017 1st and 2019 2nd to have them take a contract and a specific player, except the contract wasn't as bad (grabovski had one year left), the player was worse (jackets legend j-f berube!) and the players they were avoiding were better (brock nelson, ryan strome, josh bailey).

:laugh: poor Jarmo
even arizona's ownership will take on a team's bad contract if it nets them an asset.
A team at the salary cap shouldn’t need to pay money to acquire assets.
…which is probably why ownership refused to retain on gavrikov.

my point is that it is an enormous unforced error for this franchise, with LTIR rules being what they are and over $25m worth of players out for the rest of the season with injuries, to not take advantage of the ability to use that in a flat cap environment. that's not a front office issue, it's an ownership one.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Honestly it doesn’t matter though. Caps are done being a contender, Pittsburgh too.
this could have been EASILY avoided if ownership had just been willing to spend the $575k of real money to retain 50% on gavrikov.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Taking our idea smh

Except minus the good prospect pool and a team that is aging regardless of trying to "retool on the fly". Might be able to hold mediocrity for another year or two with Ovi but Caps and Pens are finally hitting the Detroit wall. Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, Backstrom... Father Time takes them all and there isn't a white knight behind them on either team. Not at those levels.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Jarmo inherited a 6'3'' RW, publicly negotiated his bridge deal, burning the relationship over - what - $200k/season?, and was forced to trade him for Max Domi and a 3rd round pick (Knazko), then turned Domi into Aidan Hreschuk, while paying Florida a 2022 6th (Joshua Davies) to take on 50% of the cap hit (is he still the only GM who's had to pay another team to do that rather than the acquiring team?).

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Holds true in hockey trades as well. He's had bad and good, just like every other GM.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
That hideous contract makes this a wash, maybe even slight Jackets win if Knazko turns into anything
also he got that contract (7 years at $5.5m) coming off of a season with more injuries (a bunch) than goals (one). and since then, he's spent three years in montreal still fighting some injuries and scoring at a ~36 point pace.

that would've been an 8 year deal here, or a one-year deal and shipping him off as a rental. maybe it didn't make a difference in the end, but at least domi had some track record of being productive.

i also think domi's time here would've gone a lot better had PLD not forced a trade, but that's a discussion for another day.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So I keep seeing posts about ownership cheaping out. Is that a confirmed fact or is that just some people's reasoning behind what went wrong?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Spencer Knight out indefinitely as he enters 'player assistance' protocol. I wish the kid all the best. Could be a landing spot for Korpi?

Reactions: MoeBartoli

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Maybe the ghost of Chychrun was what was driving the contract sticking point with Gav in the first place.

Maybe now that we don't have a path to Chychrun, we look differently at the contract we're willing to offer Gav.

Several weeks/months ago, it was reported Gav was given permission to talk to other teams about an extension in the hopes this might grease the wheels on a trade. The fact nothing has happened and he hasn't brought a bidder to the table on his own could indicate he couldn't find anyone willing to meet his terms.

Maybe both sides now have different perspectives and goals on Gav's next contract. It'd be the best possible outcome, IMO. I never understood the idea of letting him go - it just creates another hole.

Reactions: Forepar

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Maybe the ghost of Chychrun was what was driving the contract sticking point with Gav in the first place.

Maybe now that we don't have a path to Chychrun, we look differently at the contract we're willing to offer Gav.

Several weeks/months ago, it was reported Gav was given permission to talk to other teams about an extension in the hopes this might grease the wheels on a trade. The fact nothing has happened and he hasn't brought a bidder to the table on his own could indicate he couldn't find anyone willing to meet his terms.

Maybe both sides now have different perspectives and goals on Gav's next contract. It'd be the best possible outcome, IMO. I never understood the idea of letting him go - it just creates another hole.
I don't think Jarmo ever intended on letting him go, he's said multiple times that he wanted to extend him but it's Gavrikovs choice as a UFA to explore other options and it seems Gavrikov is set on exploring other options.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

EDIT - that 6th round pick came from the Riley Nash trade to Toronto.

So you can view it as Riley Nash and Max Domi for Aidan Hreschuk OR
Josh Anderson & Riley Nash for Aidan Hreschuk and Samuel Knazko

Does it ever strike you as strange that years later you are aggrieving the loss of a one goal player?

Like Anderson was good when he was good but he was bad when he left here. I was surprised that Jarmo got someone with two legs back for him. "One goal player demands seven year deal" should have been enough information for you to figure out that Jarmo wasn't going to get much.

It seems that Gavrikov hasn't actually been willing to extend with the teams that were calling about him. It seems like he has a very good idea of where he wants to be, which I guess is Florida.

Reactions: squashmaple and LJ7

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Does it ever strike you as strange that years later you are aggrieving the loss of a one goal player?

Like Anderson was good when he was good but he was bad when he left here. I was surprised that Jarmo got someone with two legs back for him. "One goal player demands seven year deal" should have been enough information for you to figure out that Jarmo wasn't going to get much.

It seems that Gavrikov hasn't actually been willing to extend with the teams that were calling about him. It seems like he has a very good idea of where he wants to be, which I guess is Florida.
I wonder if Florida can offer a good return for a Gav/Korpi package

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wonder if Florida can offer a good return for a Gav/Korpi package

Depends on how much you value 2025 2nd round picks. :laugh:

My sense is that they might actually give us a 2nd+3rd+3rd type deal. They don't have anything else.

Edit: actually if we can't get ownership permission to retain then we can't trade with Florida. Or with most potential suitors. :ha: Or more likely one of those picks would have to go to a third team willing to retain and we'd just net like a 2nd rounder. That's it.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

I did not bring up the pathetic return that Jarmo turned Josh Anderson into.

He was always hurt and played 26 games in his one goal season, context you, I'm sure, just forgot to mention.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I did not bring up the pathetic return that Jarmo turned Josh Anderson into.

He was always hurt and played 26 games in his one goal season, context you, I'm sure, just forgot to mention.

I think that context about Anderson's health would further my point that it isn't actually a clear instance of Jarmo fumbling asset management. That context ought to make it more clear that little to no return should have been expected. Not helping your argument!

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015

I hadn't heard he'd rebuffed anyone. OK, well, if that's the case, to crap with him.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I've had that suspicion since I saw one of those offseason pictures of him, Bread and Bob hanging out together back in ~2020. Gotta hope Marchenko doesn't join his circle of friends...

[insert half-sarcastic emoji here]

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've had that suspicion since I saw one of those offseason pictures of him, Bread and Bob hanging out together back in ~2020. Gotta hope Marchenko doesn't join his circle of friends...

[insert half-sarcastic emoji here]

I'm sure Gavi has a lot of friends beyond those two. But Russians living in NA tend to cluster together in NY and South Florida. And there's a team there that is willing to give term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad