2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
If we pick at 4 I think Michkov is a no-brainer if he's there. I think we're going to end up 4th in the standings though so we won't have to worry about it, either we'll get 1OVA or we'll be 6th.

PSA edit: also I just found out that becoming a sponsor is only $12 a year and takes away all ads, I've been on here for years and had no idea.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If we pick at 4 I think Michkov is a no-brainer if he's there. I think we're going to end up 4th in the standings though so we won't have to worry about it, either we'll get 1OVA or we'll be 6th.

PSA edit: also I just found out that becoming a sponsor is only $12 a year and takes away all ads, I've been on here for years and had no idea.
There's two lotteries though so we could get #2 as an option.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Regarding Michkov, I'm sure organizations have a decent feel for whether or not he wants to come over after his contract is up. He could change his mind but the money is a pretty compelling reason to come. I have little doubt that the geopolitical situation will improve in the next 2-3 years so I'm not really worried about that. If it doesn't we probably won't be around anyway.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I wonder if we would trade down from say 4 to 5 if Michkov falls to us and a team like the Canadians or Coyotes wanted him. Would we rather have Michkov or say Benson + 2nd? We didn't get the right offer when we picked 3rd and ended up with McTavish....but it sounds like we were looking into dropping back once we missed on Power and Beniers.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I wonder if we would trade down from say 4 to 5 if Michkov falls to us and a team like the Canadians or Coyotes wanted him. Would we rather have Michkov or say Benson + 2nd? We didn't get the right offer when we picked 3rd and ended up with McTavish....but it sounds like we were looking into dropping back once we missed on Power and Beniers.

Murray said he was going to get one of the two forwards he wanted at 3rd overall in the 2021 draft. He'll listen to offers, but often will stick with the pick. This occurred the year before when Murray thought he would have the choice of D Sanderson and D Drysdale at 6th overall, but Sanderson went at 5th overall. Murray listened to offers and stayed with picking Drysdale b/c he was a need in the the Ducks system just like having a center in McTavish was a need.

I don't know if our org has a feel who a team trading up will draft and wouldn't want to chance losing the prospect we want.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Regarding Michkov, I'm sure organizations have a decent feel for whether or not he wants to come over after his contract is up. He could change his mind but the money is a pretty compelling reason to come. I have little doubt that the geopolitical situation will improve in the next 2-3 years so I'm not really worried about that. If it doesn't we probably won't be around anyway.
Money doesn’t seem like that much of a reason - top Russian players have made a ton of money for some time, as long as they play for one of the top teams. After considering endorsements (depending on which market he ends up in in the US) and especially cost of living, I’m not sure that’s a driving factor. What is, however, is that he most likely grew up idolizing guys who went to the NHL and competed there. If that’s what he wanted to be in most formative years, it seems unlikely that he’ll change his mind based on a minuscule difference on just how rich he’ll be/feel.

And even if the geopolitical situation doesn’t change - is there that much evidence of prominent Russian citizens being denied to leave the country? Especially non-politically active ones? As long as he doesn’t worry about changing banks or having his agent make some additional calls about that type of thing, things would need to deteriorate significantly - which could happen, of course, which is a risk, hence my already stated stance that I can’t blame anyone for not taking it with an asset like that.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Money doesn’t seem like that much of a reason - top Russian players have made a ton of money for some time, as long as they play for one of the top teams. After considering endorsements (depending on which market he ends up in in the US) and especially cost of living, I’m not sure that’s a driving factor. What is, however, is that he most likely grew up idolizing guys who went to the NHL and competed there. If that’s what he wanted to be in most formative years, it seems unlikely that he’ll change his mind based on a minuscule difference on just how rich he’ll be/feel.

And even if the geopolitical situation doesn’t change - is there that much evidence of prominent Russian citizens being denied to leave the country? Especially non-politically active ones? As long as he doesn’t worry about changing banks or having his agent make some additional calls about that type of thing, things would need to deteriorate significantly - which could happen, of course, which is a risk, hence my already stated stance that I can’t blame anyone for not taking it with an asset like that.
well, history suggests that almost every Russian with NHL caliber talent comes over to play in the NHL. Kaprizov and Kuzmetsov being the two most recent. I expect Michkov would do the same but that's just my opinion based upon historical precedent. I'll give it more thought after the lottery.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i think the main worry with michkov (aside from the political climate) is that gazprom (the owner of SKA st petersburg and the largest natural gas company in the world) will be willing to reach into their deep pockets and do whatever they can to keep michkov there past 2026

still hope they take him if he's still there at 5-7. doubt he's there past 5 though

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Hmmm, explain?

Perhaps I have not seen enough of him, but in the WJC I did not see nearly as great of a motor or even a mean streak as Fantilli. Fantilli was a pissed of man on the mission – he was not put in an offensive role but he was busting his ass off in pretty much any other area.
To me, Carlsson looks like an offense-only type. I certainly would be amazed to have him, but that was not my initial point about who I think would fit us the most regarding need and style.
6’3 195 lbs playing against men.
Strong skater.
Great net front ability.
Great playmaking.

He doesn’t have the speed of Fantilli or the asshole part of his game, but his size is something we are seriously lacking in the top 6.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Not going well below us, but Montreal wins to get the gap to 6 before puck drop and Philadelphia is going to open up an 8 point lead if they hold on. Massive victories for both

Last edited:
Reactions: robbieboy3686

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
tonight's game feels like a must-lose, things are getting pretty late. I'm not sure how many more points Chicago and SJ can muster.
every game is a must lose but this one's especially important to lose because montreal won and they're the team we need to win the most

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Ducks still weren’t great at defending, but whatever commitment they made for that seven game stretch is completely gone. They looks completely lifeless and without structure playing out the string, I would honestly be stunned if this team won more than a couple games the rest of the way
Still possible we can execute a nice little tank to the bottom but it’s going to take help at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad