2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
6’3 195 lbs playing against men.
Strong skater.
Great net front ability.
Great playmaking.

He doesn’t have the speed of Fantilli or the asshole part of his game, but his size is something we are seriously lacking in the top 6.
Size is nice for sure, and again, I'd be amazed to have Carlsson. But my point was, that Fantilli uses his size to play a tough game, which, in my opinion, fits like a glove what we need. As he also has skill for days and is a better skater even (as far as I saw)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The way the Ducks have been playing, expect them to end up 2nd or 3rd to last. That would guarantee us a Top 5 pick.

Top 5 is stacked with high end 1C players, and a Top line winger. Again, this is the year to suck. Lol.

Won‘t be greedy, I’ll be happy to settle with Carlsson or Fantilli. Both these guys are projected to be better players than what we have now.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The way the Ducks have been playing, expect them to end up 2nd or 3rd to last. That would guarantee us a Top 5 pick.

Top 5 is stacked with high end 1C players, and a Top line winger. Again, this is the year to suck. Lol.

Won‘t be greedy, I’ll be happy to settle with Carlsson or Fantilli. Both these guys are projected to be better players than what we have now.
We do look destined for the bottom 4:

For us to surpass Montreal, in the remaining 11 games we would have to get at the very least 3-0-1 more than them.
1679504165068.png

Personally I don't believe we can outsuck Columbus or SJ but Chi os on a weird roll and perhaps we could end up pretty close on the standings.
Again, just my thoughts. But not a lot of games left – 11.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
still need to keep an eye on montreal, but catching chicago is very much a possibility if they go on a losing streak and chicago continues to win here and there

finishing 3rd worst would guarantee a top 5 pick which would guarantee us someone like smith, benson, or maybe michkov. finish 4th worst and you risk falling to 6th which would not be ideal at all

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
still need to keep an eye on montreal, but catching chicago is very much a possibility if they go on a losing streak and chicago continues to win here and there

finishing 3rd worst would guarantee a top 5 pick which would guarantee us someone like smith, benson, or maybe michkov. finish 4th worst and you risk falling to 6th which would not be ideal at all
Agree but will just point out that if the Ducks finish 4th and fall to 6th then they are guaranteed one of Michkov, Benson, or Smith if they have them rated that high.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Money doesn’t seem like that much of a reason - top Russian players have made a ton of money for some time, as long as they play for one of the top teams. After considering endorsements (depending on which market he ends up in in the US) and especially cost of living, I’m not sure that’s a driving factor. What is, however, is that he most likely grew up idolizing guys who went to the NHL and competed there. If that’s what he wanted to be in most formative years, it seems unlikely that he’ll change his mind based on a minuscule difference on just how rich he’ll be/feel.

And even if the geopolitical situation doesn’t change - is there that much evidence of prominent Russian citizens being denied to leave the country? Especially non-politically active ones? As long as he doesn’t worry about changing banks or having his agent make some additional calls about that type of thing, things would need to deteriorate significantly - which could happen, of course, which is a risk, hence my already stated stance that I can’t blame anyone for not taking it with an asset like that.
"Prominent" is a matter of perspective. Russians in the narrow middle-upper class have mobility and quite a few (in the high hundreds of thousands) have already leveraged that to leave. Countries or jurisdictions that have no-visa or auto-visa agreements with Russia have started to cancel them because they're flooded with military aged Russians on seemingly endless tourist visas. Bali, Kazakhstan, Georgia, off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. I imagine independently wealthy Russians (i.e., not wage earners) will retain most measures of their freedom to travel.

I won't play pundit but I take seriously the obvious concerns of normal Russians in Russia who fear that they had better use their mobility or lose it to further mobilizations and border closures. That's why I think people are focused on the wrong thing by asking whether he'd be willing to leave -- of course he would. Almost every young Russian hockey player ever has wanted to play in the NHL, or at least try. But I think it's foolish to take for granted that they'll always be able to. It's not a "cop out" (or whatever, playing politics) to understand that there are players who played for the Ducks who had to defect from the USSR in order to play here--it wasn't that long ago that that was the was norm. Don't presume it'll just continue.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Arizona gets at least one tonight to extend the gap to double digits (10 or 11) and you can (likely) officially put the thought of catching them to bed (although I’m in the group of people who doesn’t think this team is going to catch Montreal either). Feels certain we’re gonna finish 3 or 4.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Damn, McDavid got two breakaway chances in OT. Misses the first one, hits the post. Then on the same sequence, gets the puck again with no defense and roofs it for the victory. Crazy ending. At least the Yotes gained a point.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Looking at the schedule I can see us winning maybe two more at best especially if they keep up the current level of play… you never know though

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Arizona gets at least one tonight to extend the gap to double digits (10 or 11) and you can (likely) officially put the thought of catching them to bed (although I’m in the group of people who doesn’t think this team is going to catch Montreal either). Feels certain we’re gonna finish 3 or 4.
Yep, with an outside shot at 2 and the slimmest of shots at 1. They’re still closer to being dead last than they are to being 5th so it’s worth keeping an eye on Columbus at least through this weekend

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Tomorrow has a lot of lottery teams playing.

Wild at Flyers... pulling for Flyers
Habs at Bruins... pulling for Habs, maybe Bruins will play down to their level
Blues at Wings... pulling for Blues
Hawks at Caps... pulling for Hawks, both teams on losing streaks.
Jets at Ducks
Sharks at Canucks... pulling for OT win for Sharks

Reactions: lwvs84

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yep. Unless something truly outstanding happens, it will be 4th with a chance of 3rd if we get lucky (Blackhawks get too good). Even to catch Montreal (sitting in the 5th spot), we'd have to be at the very least 3-0-1 better than them in the remaining 11 games. So if Montreal goes 5-5-1, we'd have to go at least 8-1-2. If we go 5-5-1, Montreal would have to go 2-9-0

But I like to calculate the possibilities as well tbh, even if they are outlandish. For example, we can still finish 20th, if we win all the games and competitors lose all of theirs :laugh:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Our schedule is now gonna be pretty tough down the stretch imo. Arizona and Van are kinda the only crappy teams left. Blues aren't great either but we struggle with them

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Yeah barring something unforeseen, we should be set at 4th from the bottom at worst. There are only 11 games left. It would be hard for any team to make up 7 points on anyone at this point, much less a team as bad as this one. Even if we somehow end up getting 11-12 points in the last 11 games, which is unlikely but possible I suppose, Montreal would have to get only 5 in their last 11 for us to pass them. Looking at their schedule, that doesn't seem probable. Same goes for Philly, who would need to get only 3 points. Arizona is long gone. They are 10 points up and have been getting points pretty much every game, and have mostly home games left.

Also a lot of these teams play each other, so someone's getting points. We don't play any of the teams involved outside of Arizona. Sharks schedule looks rough, but the Hawks certainly can outplay us by 2 points, especially with a game in hand.

Reactions: Kalv

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Tomorrow has a lot of lottery teams playing.

Wild at Flyers... pulling for Flyers
Habs at Bruins... pulling for Habs, maybe Bruins will play down to their level
Blues at Wings... pulling for Blues
Hawks at Caps... pulling for Hawks, both teams on losing streaks.
Jets at Ducks
Sharks at Canucks... pulling for OT win for Sharks

I'd settle for a regulation win in SJ. Vancouver is 11 points ahead of us with 1 less game played. The odds of us catching them are slim to none really.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah you can write off vancouver and the blues. even the coyotes i can't see them catching up to at this point

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
I'd settle for a regulation win in SJ. Vancouver is 11 points ahead of us with 1 less game played. The odds of us catching them are slim to none really.

Not to mention the Sharks are at 14 regulation wins, only one ahead of the Ducks, and we win the secondary ROW tiebreaker in that scenario. Need the Sharks to get one in 60 minutes to extend the gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad