2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
lol it's amazing just how checked out karlsson is. guy isn't even trying anymore

oilers win. sharks probably had the puck for a combined 30 seconds in that OT

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Losing is one thing, but if anyone pulls the crap Karlsson did on that OT winner, I hope Verbeek tells them to pack their bags. That was inexcusable

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
karlsson winning the norris after the way he's been playing since the TDL would be disgraceful

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
EK for Norris is a joke when you watch him actually not play defense at all

He’s a joke with insane talent

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
players don't "tank" as in purposely play worse so their team has a better chance at a higher draft pick

but they sure as hell mentally check out sometimes. karlsson right now is a perfect example of that

Rico checked out mentally in year 2 of the rebuild, which is why we waived him as a wakeup call.

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Ok, so worst case scenario we are 5th at the end...but still that doesn't mean we can't choose 2nd or 3rd, maybe odds will be on our side. : )

Nevertheless I have no problem with drafting Will Smith or Benson...if Will Smith has a upside of a 2nd line guy, i'm more than fine with that.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ok, so worst case scenario we are 5th at the end...but still that doesn't mean we can't choose 2nd or 3rd, maybe odds will be on our side. : )

Nevertheless I have no problem with drafting Will Smith or Benson...if Will Smith has a upside of a 2nd line guy, i'm more than fine with that.
Not completely true. Only teams finishing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd worst can pick 3 OV, because of the way the odds are set up. To remind, here's how it goes:

1679389509421.png

PS
Notice how the biggest odds to pick that 3rd OV actually is held by the worst performing team :)

EDIT: also 12th and 13th can pick 3rd technically, with around 2.5% odds for each.

Last edited:

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019

Smith has 1C upside so a decent conciliation prize

Reactions: AngelDuck

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Can Smith slap Zegras haters and say "keep. my teammate's. name. outta. your goddamn. mouth"?

I kind of want us to pick 2nd and add Fantilli as we could use his mean streak among other things. Not that we wouldn't use Bedard, ha :laugh: But I kind of not holding my breath for Bedard altho I do hope we win the lottery. But if we win 2nd pick, I'd be ecstatic as well, I think Fantilli matches our needs like a glove.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Can Smith slap Zegras haters and say "keep. my teammate's. name. outta. your goddamn. mouth"?

I kind of want us to pick 2nd and add Fantilli as we could use his mean streak among other things. Not that we wouldn't use Bedard, ha :laugh: But I kind of not holding my breath for Bedard altho I do hope we win the lottery. But if we win 2nd pick, I'd be ecstatic as well, I think Fantilli matches our needs like a glove.
So does Carlsson.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So does Carlsson.
Hmmm, explain?

Perhaps I have not seen enough of him, but in the WJC I did not see nearly as great of a motor or even a mean streak as Fantilli. Fantilli was a pissed of man on the mission – he was not put in an offensive role but he was busting his ass off in pretty much any other area.
To me, Carlsson looks like an offense-only type. I certainly would be amazed to have him, but that was not my initial point about who I think would fit us the most regarding need and style.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
we need to hit top-4, no question about it.

If we skip on someone like a Michkov or Carlsson because PV and staff are either too scared or want someone with ‘higher upside’ I seriously question their judgement.

Carlsson would be a great add. Solid two-way player, quick on the puck, and brings size down the middle.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not completely true. Only teams finishing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd worst can pick 3 OV, because of the way the odds are set up. To remind, here's how it goes:

View attachment 673213

PS
Notice how the biggest odds to pick that 3rd OV actually is held by the worst performing team :)

EDIT: also 12th and 13th can pick 3rd technically, with around 2.5% odds for each.

The worst record team had the highest odds of picking third is because that team can only move down two spots. 100% odds - 1st pick odd - 2nd pick odd = 55.7%.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
we need to hit top-4, no question about it.

If we skip on someone like a Michkov or Carlsson because PV and staff are either too scared or want someone with ‘higher upside’ I seriously question their judgement.

Carlsson would be a great add. Solid two-way player, quick on the puck, and brings size down the middle.

Michkov and Carlsson are not the same situation at all. It would be a mistake to not select Carlsson in the top 4. Michkov has a lot of red flags re: Russia situation. I would be totally fine not selecting Michkov at 4, assuming Bedard Fantilli Carlsson are the first 3 picks.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Michkov and Carlsson are not the same situation at all. It would be a mistake to not select Carlsson in the top 4. Michkov has a lot of red flags re: Russia situation. I would be totally fine not selecting Michkov at 4, assuming Bedard Fantilli Carlsson are the first 3 picks.

I find the Russia situation a big cop out. I wouldn’t mind selecting him since we are that far away from making an impact. (4-5 years)

If he’s there with that high of a pick, it should be always BPA. Let the chips fall afterwards.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I find the Russia situation a big cop out. I wouldn’t mind selecting him since we are that far away from making an impact. (4-5 years)

If he’s there with that high of a pick, it should be always BPA. Let the chips fall afterwards.
It's a cop out to be concerned about whether or not he'll ever be able to leave Russia? Given the circumstances, I think that's a legitimate thing to worry about.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It’s not a cop out, but I do agree that people overestimate the implications the war will have on Russian players - IMO at least for a 5+ years, and even then only if players start growing up without the NHL as an ideal in mind. If he still wants to come over, he’ll say so in interviews and he’ll get to. But I can’t blame anyone for being more skeptical and specifically for a GM it’s a sizeable gamble on political developments that aren’t quite safe to project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad