2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Let’s be honest here. If either of the Sharks or Hawks were to get even a point tonight it would be a miraculous victory for us. We’re just in that spot where we’re praying to the hockey gods now. Not fun

Just saw the Chicago/Colorado score, yeah, nope.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
For me, the thing with Michkov isn't the waiting. It's that the entire political climate is unstable enough that there's no guarantee the rules stay the same and you get him when you think you will.
This is where I’m at. If I had a guarantee that he would come over for the 2026-2027 season I think I’d be for it. We could slowly integrate our prospects into roles the next 3 years and then add a top flight player to an already solid team.

But I just don’t trust that country. We can’t be the ones to get burned by it. I’m taking Smith over him any day if that’s the choice I have to make

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
For me, the thing with Michkov isn't the waiting. It's that the entire political climate is unstable enough that there's no guarantee the rules stay the same and you get him when you think you will.
True. But that's only a problem for teams picking while he is still on the board. If he's gone, problem solved. If he's still there at 4 or later I think any team has to take him. The difference in talent between him and a Smith or Benson is just too great not to swing for the fences.

I'll be disappointed if we pick that low, but we'll never have a chance at a talent like that for a long time to come. If he's there when we pick 4 or lower, I'd take him. 2 or 3, probably not when weighing the political factors.

But, it really only matters what PV thinks. Although I'd bet he has a long talk with Henry about when to risk selecting Michkov. I do think Henry would have a say on that one just because there are political ramifications.

Reactions: lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Our D prospect pool is the best in the league.

We don't have a #1D (like a Lindholm) in our system. Lindholm's rookie year, at age 19, he played 76 games, scored 30 points, and had a +29 rating (2nd overall on the team). I hope having a plethora of 2nd pairing Dmen across all three pairings will work out better, but we're years away from them being established.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
We don't have a #1D (like a Lindholm) in our system. Lindholm's rookie year, at age 19, he played 76 games, scored 30 points, and had a +29 rating (2nd overall on the team). I hope having a plethora of 2nd pairing Dmen across all three pairings will work out better, but we're years away from them being established.
even Lindholm, while in Anaheim, would be hard for me to characterize as a #1 dman. he was injured too often and more importantly the offense just wasn't there. He is definitely playing like one this year tho. Goes to show how hard it is to find a true #1 dman, IMO the only position tougher to find is a true 1C.

of all of our D prospects, Minty probably has the best shot at becoming a #1, but far from certain. we probably will just have to supplement those guys with competent defensive dmen

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
even Lindholm, while in Anaheim, would be hard for me to characterize as a #1 dman. he was injured too often and more importantly the offense just wasn't there. He is definitely playing like one this year tho. Goes to show how hard it is to find a true #1 dman, IMO the only position tougher to find is a true 1C.

of all of our D prospects, Minty probably has the best shot at becoming a #1, but far from certain. we probably will just have to supplement those guys with competent defensive dmen
I don't. I actually feel there are more 1cs in the league than D.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Injured too often? What's your definition of too often?

When using counting stats for scoring, sure, Lindholm doesn't show up. When using possession stats, that's where Lindholm shines b/c he's too busy winning puck battles down low and getting the puck out efficiently fast to where we have more scoring opportunities. In cases like that, Lindholm isn't on the score sheet b/c it's touched at least three other players before a goal is scored.

There's a few articles out there praising Lindholm's game and how the team is vastly better with him than without him. I've tracked with and without Lindholm for the past few seasons and noticed he saves us a goal or more on a per game basis when he's on the ice. We're giving up over a goal per game with out Lindholm this season. Boston has improved by a goal per game differential with him.

Weird to doubt Lindholm as a 1D when he literally tilted the ice since he donned a Ducks' jersey.

2013-14
* Rookie Lindholm: 78 games, 30 pts, +28 rating (2nd overall behind Perry)
* 4-year vet Fowler: 70 games, 36 pts, +15 rating

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Anaheim has potentially two 1C's on their roster in Z and McTavish. Any center in the top-6 of this year's draft will probably not displace Z and McTavish, but those prospect centers may become 1Cs in the future on other teams.

As for Minty becoming a #1D, you're basing this off of scoring alone. I don't think he's on the same level of defense as Lindholm, not many can be. I love Minty's offense, but his defense is something that needs to develop more as per GM Verbeek.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Amazing how the nhl has a hard on v the ducks. This is the first season I remember, ever, where we benefited more than the sharks and kings as far as being able to play teams on the 2nd night of back to backs more. In a season where we weren’t expected to do much, and now it’s costing us some tanking.
the only thing that's costing us a higher pick is gibson

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
No matter the result of this one, Edmonton is going one and done in April again. Can’t outscore your problems forever, especially when the game tightens up come playoff time and your PP chances get cut

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
agree to disagree
Fair enough I suppose.
McDavid
Drai
McKinnon
Mathews
Crosby
Malkin
Hughes
Patterson
Thompson
Stamkos
Bergeron
Point
There's arguments for some guys like scheifele, Zib, Kopitar, Hintz, Larkin.
On D we have:
Makar
Hedman
Karlsson
Fox
McAvoy
Lindholm this year
Hamilton?
Heiskenen
Dahlin
Josi?
Peitrangelo

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Fair enough I suppose.
McDavid
Drai
McKinnon
Mathews
Crosby
Malkin
Hughes
Patterson
Thompson
Stamkos
Bergeron
Point
There's arguments for some guys like scheifele, Zib, Kopitar, Hintz, Larkin.
On D we have:
Makar
Hedman
Karlsson
Fox
McAvoy
Lindholm this year
Hamilton?
Heiskenen
Dahlin
Josi?
Peitrangelo
you mentioned Scheif, Zibanejad, Kopitar, and Larkin, but no mention at all of Morrissey, Chychrun, Quinn Hughes, Seider, Theodore, Letang, or Ekblad. also why are you expressing uncertainty on Josi?

Reactions: AngelDuck

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Edmonton is losing this game despite having THREE Sharks goals taken off the board on successful challenges. It feels like the inevitable is coming

Jack Campbell has the worst contract in the league AINEC. Some guys are at least NHL caliber and way overpaid. He's bad enough he probably shouldn't even be in the league.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
you mentioned Scheif, Zibanejad, Kopitar, and Larkin, but no mention at all of Morrissey, Chychrun, Quinn Hughes, Seider, Theodore, Letang, or Ekblad. also why are you expressing uncertainty on Josi?
That's fair. I also said there was an argument for those player as there are arguments for the D. As far as Josi goes I wasn't sure if he played PK which generally I'd consider an important part unless you're top of league on offense but most of those guys listed are mostly offense so it's not really fair. So consider the ? Void. At the end of the day it seems pretty even.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
That's fair. I also said there was an argument for those player as there are arguments for the D. As far as Josi goes I wasn't sure if he played PK which generally I'd consider an important part unless you're top of league on offense but most of those guys listed are mostly offense so it's not really fair. So consider the ? Void. At the end of the day it seems pretty even.
it's very close, which is basically what i said to begin with. doesn't mean i've proven it scientifically, and i might just value things differently than you. you can make a strong argument either way.

Reactions: DavidBL

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Edmonton is losing this game despite having THREE Sharks goals taken off the board on successful challenges. It feels like the inevitable is coming

Yep, team that can’t hold third period lead to save their lives strikes again! Tomas Hertl is tank commanding as hard as any player in the league, my lord he’s been ASS

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Two guys went to the same player up high, and when the second guy realized he left the other d man all alone, he didn’t make an effort to get to him or anything. He just sort of looked over and was like… shrug.

And yep, guy just airmailed it over the glass with no pressure giving the Oilers a late PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad