2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just a minor correction...the Islanders only need one point in their game against Montreal to clinch a playoff spot. If they get to OT, they're in. That's good for us.

I'll take the one "small" thing being a winning lottery ball...
You're right. In my head I'm just so confident about New York winning that I turned myself around.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
So if we win and sj loses all of their games wouldn’t we be ahead of them because we would have the same number of row and we win the head to head?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I wanted to visualize this for myself and I'm still buzzing about the win loss.

So a regulation loss to LA would:

Guarantee us at least 31st and fourth overall minimum regardless of how anyone else does
Guarantee us last place and third overall minimum if the Blue Jackets pick up 1 loser point in either of their final two games

With a loser point against LA

We can lock in 31st place (4th ovr) with a Chicago overtime loss or win against Philadelphia or a CBJ win or two CBJ OTLs
We can lock in last place (3rd ovr) with a Chicago OTL and a CBJ win or two OTLs

With a win against LA

We can lock in 31st place (4th ovr) with a Chicago win against Philly or two CBJ wins or a CBJ win and an OTL

We can still finish last place (3rd ovr) with a combination of the two above scenarios triggering. CBJ would need three points, Chicago 2.

Outlook of CBJ and Chicago's remaining schedule:

Only six teams matter to us at this point: CBJ, CHI, LA, PIT, BUF and NYI,

Chicago (1 game vs PHI) is playing with unmistakable effort likely in a bid to send Toews off with a couple of wins. Last place Columbus took the Flyers to OT tonight so it's entirely possible that Chicago can walk away with at least one if not two points.

Columbus (2 games against PIT and BUF). If the Islanders beat the Habs or get an OTL, which they are almost guaranteed to do (as a single point clinches their playoff spot and Montreal sucks), it could leave the Penguins demoralized going into their game against Columbus as they'd be eliminated. Pittsburgh is still clearly the better team but there's a greater than zero chance that Columbus could steal a point or two.

Buffalo is already eliminated and will have played four games in five days with one rest day, tomorrow. Columbus is the second of a back to back with the first game being against the Senators. Buffalo got smoked by the Devils tonight so it's possible they'll be worn down by game 82 so another viable chance for Columbus to pick up a point or two.

EDIT: LA is playing us at roughly the same time as Seattle (7pm vs 7:30pm, Seattle starts after LA). So they're probably going to play to secure their spot in the top 3 of the Pacific.
--
The best thing the Ducks can do is lose in regulation to LA. But it's not unthinkable that they could get some more help from Columbus and Chicago

/end improvised infographic.
FYI, they put on the Jumbotron at the end of the game that Thursday;s game will be at 6PM.

I assume that they’re truing to have all the teams play at the same time, buts it’s super annoying.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
wahoo. guaranteed 3rd.
Just know it's odds not the pick :laugh:

I expect us to put up a fight against LA on Thursday. As mentioned before, we should get a motivated LA team as well tho: if they fail to get a point and Seattle wins, LA can dro to Wild Card.
Realistically, LA is a much better team and should win in regulation but stranger things have happened.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
If ducks get to pick 1 through 3. Than it's time Verbeek spends band brings in good veteran defensemen. And a good coach. And turn this around. Team needs to gel
There are no defensemen available that will make this team not a bottom 10 team in the NHL next year.

If the Ducks get pick 1-3 it doesn't actually change anything in the short-term. They still need help in a lot of places.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That San Jose game tonight is meaningless we can’t pass them anymore. So no need to scoreboard watch that one.

Columbus has two games left. One against Pittsburgh and Buffalo. Islanders win tonight or just get a point, Pittsburgh is eliminated. Buffalo already eliminated

Chicago has one more game left against Philly.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I guess Pitt might be pissed about the loss vs CHI and might put on a show vs CBJ. :laugh:
Alternatively they could be altogether deflated if the Isles get a point today and knock them out of playoff contention.

I'm genuinely thinking Columbus passing us in the standings is more likely than many would think. Not saying it'll happen, it's still probably less likely than it happening, but it's not within the realm of impossible by any means.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Alternatively they could be altogether deflated if the Isles get a point today and knock them out of playoff contention.

I'm genuinely thinking Columbus passing us in the standings is more likely than many would think. Not saying it'll happen, it's still probably less likely than it happening, but it's not within the realm of impossible by any means.
Yup, what’s giving me hope is that they only need 1 point. We don’t even need them to win, they just need to make it to 3v3. They can still give a pathetic effort again and lose and it’ll still be fine.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Dryish

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I guess Pitt might be pissed about the loss vs CHI and might put on a show vs CBJ. :laugh:
Maybe. But they don't play tonight. The Islanders control the Penguins' destiny. A single point by NYI against the piss poor Habs would eliminate the Pens. Unless Sid and Geno are planning to retire this season, they might play down to the Blue Jackets with nothing left to play for but pride and it could go to OT.

Reactions: Kalv

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I actually feel pretty good about the situation. We have 1 game against a rival that needs a win and Columbus has 2 games against non playoff teams.

I feel like the odds are in the Ducks favor that Columbus gets 1 point.
I actually feel better about their game against Buffalo. The Sabres have already played two back to back games in a series of 4 games in 5 days. By the time Buffalo matches up with Columbus and with nothing on the line, those players are going to be exhausted and will probably result in them feeling like they can't wait to get it over with, go home, and start their summers. Not that I think the Sabres will just roll over and die, but I expect it to be a much more evenly matched game than what you'd typically expect.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
No chance the Ducks get last. Remember a few weeks ago when it looked like they had no shot at last and may pick around 6th? They needed everything to go right to get back to last. And then it DID go right. Then they blew it.

It's not going to happen twice.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
No chance the Ducks get last. Remember a few weeks ago when it looked like they had no shot at last and may pick around 6th? They needed everything to go right to get back to last. And then it DID go right. Then they blew it.

It's not going to happen twice.
They don’t really need everything to go right anymore though. They need Columbus to get 1 point out of a remaining 4 possible. And they need to lose to LA in regulation.

I’d say they have about a 40% chance of finishing dead last right now.

Just need to lose in regulation tomorrow and see what happens with CBJ. Losing tomorrow clinches the 2 seed and I can live with that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad