Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Edition

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

In which actual journalists talked to actual experts and SHOCKER their conclusion was precisely, almost verbatim, what I've been saying through this entire thread.

Chelsea going from dodgy owner to dodgy owner, you are right, nothing surprising.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Gundogan to Barcelona is apparently agreed and we just need to complete medical and other final details. Alemany is in Munich to sort it out.

Still don't understand this signing. Just hope his wages aren't too astronomical. At least the contract is supposed to be for 2 years with an option third though I'm not sure who holds the option.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Seems sketchy, Arsenal cashing in while big questions go unanswered.
They defended him all season because they were in a title run in and as soon as the season ends they sell him somewhere that won’t extradite him. It’s disgusting

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Spurs are supposedly negotiating with Empoli for Vicario. Might be a ploy to make Brentford lower the price for Raya.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Someone made the point yesterday that football is funny in the way that teams go through the very elaborate and public (via leaks to journalists) process of submitting actual bids for players.

In other sports teams don't generally submit formal trade proposals to each other, the GMs just get on the phone and talk for a while.

Just a weird uniqueness of this sport.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Seems sketchy, Arsenal cashing in while big questions go unanswered.

It’s probably the right move guilty or not. He’s showed he can’t be trusted over a full season. He picks up to many minor injuries keeping him out from time to time and then he loses his mojo which make our midfield weak. It’s better to go for a full renovation.

Reactions: S E P H

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Of course he is going to Saudi. They don’t extradite.
You're the ultimate hater 😂

Gundogan to Barcelona is apparently agreed and we just need to complete medical and other final details. Alemany is in Munich to sort it out.

Still don't understand this signing. Just hope his wages aren't too astronomical. At least the contract is supposed to be for 2 years with an option third though I'm not sure who holds the option.
I love Gundogan. I think he's a fantastic signing. The wages will be big but not a problem. Little risk big reward signing

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I am still furious until he proves me otherwise, the good thing is that I am open-minded so I have no problems changing my tune or saying I am wrong. It is just super weird to me that Arsenal thinks he's the "answer" out of all players and options available. I am not saying to go back in for Vlahovic, but you can do better than Kai. Hell, I rather spend 120 million using Lavia money and try to unsettle Osimhen instead of paying anything more than 50 million for Havertz which it seems it is heading towards. But what can I do? So, I gotta hope they know what they're doing instead.

Yeah, I feel very similar about it. I wouldn't go as far as "furious" but I hate taking Chelsea's used undies in general (Petr Čech was the exception). As it's been inching closer to reality though I've had to try to convince myself that we'll be able to harness his potential, so I guess that's what I'll have to stick with. Also I'm liking a lot of the other names we're being connected with so if we can get a good number of those it will go a long way to taking my mind off it

Reactions: S E P H

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

Admittedly I don't know much about the makeup of Barcelona these days but if he goes there you will be happy to have him. Has a knack for scoring a big goal, all the leadership/intangibles, and can still be a key cog in an excellent midfield. There's a reason Pep has been more or less pleading for him to stay. Financials aside, he should help the team.

Reactions: luiginb

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

I know this is tongue in cheek, but it doesn't change the fact that Chelsea are getting fees for basically worthless players / bad contracts, whereas Partey was a top midfielder in the PL for 3/4 of last season.

Also funny that the troll who tweeted this didn't even read the article headline correctly. "Triples US stocks; adds Walmart" is different than "triples Walmart holdings."

Reactions: luiginb

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I love Gundogan. I think he's a fantastic signing. The wages will be big but not a problem. Little risk big reward signing

Admittedly I don't know much about the makeup of Barcelona these days but if he goes there you will be happy to have him. Has a knack for scoring a big goal, all the leadership/intangibles, and can still be a key cog in an excellent midfield. There's a reason Pep has been more or less pleading for him to stay. Financials aside, he should help the team.

The issues are:

-He doesn't address a need. In a fantasy world I like collecting midfielders too, but we don't need him.
-He'll be 34 in two years when his contract is up.
-Financials aside isn't a thing for us. His wages block potential other signings and registering other players.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Chelsea is about to sell Havertz, Kovacic and Mount. They really don't need to sell Ziyech, Koulibaly or CHO to balance the books. Ziyech was of interest in January for a loan move and I'm sure he could've been sold or loaned out in Europe if needed, Koulibaly has a lot of interest back in Italy so could have been loaned back there if needed. CHO hasn't been good in some time but I'm sure they could've found another loan home for him if they wanted.

Is the Saudis buying guys Chelsea wants to move on convienent or coincidence? I would learn towards not a coincidence because I highly doubt Chelsea bought Koulibaly knowing they can dump him in a year and messed up Ziyech loan because they knew they could sell him instead. Arsenal selling a useful player with off field issues is more a conspiracy to me than what Chelsea has going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad