Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Edition

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If Kai Havertz is there to truly replace Xhaka in the same position and not be a backup #9, that will be very interesting, to say the least. I still don't value his work ethic and I don't think he can play a similar physical style as Xhaka (especially defensively), but he would provide some crazy good offensive skills coming from that part of the pitch with the ball.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
If Kai Havertz is there to truly replace Xhaka in the same position and not be a backup #9, that will be very interesting, to say the least. I still don't value his work ethic and I don't think he can play a similar physical style as Xhaka (especially defensively), but he would provide some crazy good offensive skills coming from that part of the pitch with the ball.
He's not like-for-like replacing Xhaka. The previous rumors that they've been training ESR to fill Xhaka's place in the team should tell you all you need to know -- they'll be playing two hybrid 8/10's with Odegaard and Havertz/ESR. Xhaka was more of a true 8 last season, whereas Havertz will have freedom to make runs in behind.

Reactions: S E P H and JPBolts

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't believe in any conspiracy at all. I'm just saying Chelsea got a lot of money for three terrible players. There's no conspiracy that explains the Havertz fee so I don't want to hear it.
I mean Havertz is the rule not the exception, and he’s not accepting a move to Saudi at his age and station. Other big teams wanted Havertz. No one else wanted the other guys so they sold them internally

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
With City now losing Gundogan i don’t think there is a clear cut. None team has a stellar midfield at this point if you ask me.
also agree with this.

I'm biased, but Arsenal's midfield is clearly 2nd behind City. Doesn't matter if we're talking about last year or the potential new signings.

Other than City and Arsenal, Newcastle probably has a claim to 3rd if they secure Tonali. Brighton would have been up there if they didn't get raided. Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, and United all still have question marks.
if we are taking last season's roster, yeah probably. But losing both Xhaka and possibly Partey shakes things up a bit (though Rice is a gamechanger tbf).
I genuinely don't think I'd take another midfield group over what Villa will have next year (with the addition of Tielemans & maybe one more) outside of City & maybe Arsenal or Newcastle

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Now that's a jump-to-conclusion mat sort of post.
He was one of their most important players last season, which is why Arteta so aggressively defended him despite the rape. And now they are hitting the eject next button? There is no way the off the field isn’t contributing to it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He's not like-for-like replacing Xhaka. The previous rumors that they've been training ESR to fill Xhaka's place in the team should tell you all you need to know -- they'll be playing two hybrid 8/10's with Odegaard and Havertz/ESR. Xhaka was more of a true 8 last season, whereas Havertz will have freedom to make runs in behind.
ESR definitely has the skill and talent to be a true #8 as well. Xhaka was most definitely a box-to-box bloke this season, but he played in a much more forward role that you could describe as a 10 as well. It worked because Zinchenko would come from the side and play almost as a 6 or 5.

I always considered Kai a SS personally, but Odegaard plays that same position as a playmaker and should be the starter. Arsenal didn't spend 70 million to have Havertz on the bench, which I think means that ESR is still the sub-player and they will change the formation when he gets on the pitch. We might now play a 4-1-2-3 diamond.

Martinelli - Jesus/Trossard - Saka
Havertz - Odegaard
Rice/Partey
Zinchenko - Gabriel - Saliba - White​

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
“selling them internally” Jesus H Motherf***ing Christ
At least use it when we eventually have the multi-club setup.

Difference being that there were other European clubs weighing offers for Havertz, and no one has come in for the other Chelsea players going to Saudi.

Also, Chelsea fans have been making arguments for Havertz/Mount fees up to 70M+, but now that he's going to Arsenal it's an overpay lol
Have we? I think Mount is worth a good amount and I think I said anything under 60M would be good business for United as I think he's a pretty safe bet to bounce back. With Havertz, I have no idea what a good deal would be. He either regains his Germany form and any deal will look like a steal, or he continues his Chelsea form and you'll wonder why you bothered.

Fans have to realize that Saudi doesn't have this great deal of leverage either, even if other teams aren't buying, it's similar to when China was spending huge fees. Sure, they can offer large salaries, but there is likely a pretty limited number of players that are willing to sign long-term deals in Saudi, and Chelsea just happen to have multiple players that are Muslim and/or from that region. Saudi is also a desperate buyer, so it's not like they had ability to demand free transfers of the players.

Reactions: Peen

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
ESR definitely has the skill and talent to be a true #8 as well. Xhaka was most definitely a box-to-box bloke this season, but he played in a much more forward role that you could describe as a 10 as well. It worked because Zinchenko would come from the side and play almost as a 6 or 5.

I always considered Kai a SS personally, but Odegaard plays that same position as a playmaker and should be the starter. Arsenal didn't spend 70 million to have Havertz on the bench, which I think means that ESR is still the sub-player and they will change the formation when he gets on the pitch. We might now play a 4-1-2-3 diamond.

Martinelli - Jesus/Trossard - Saka
Havertz - Odegaard
Rice/Partey
Zinchenko - Gabriel - Saliba - White​

This formation would acquire a more defensive LB than Zinchenko imo. Would be too unbalanced otherwise. That is probably where Timber comes into the equation.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
How is it not internal if Clearlake has their fingers in both? It’s insider trading
I swear to god, google private equity funds. One investor isn't a big deal.

This formation would acquire a more defensive LB than Zinchenko imo. Would be too unbalanced otherwise. That is probably where Timber comes into the equation.
No it wouldn't, because it involves inverting Zinchenko to provide midfield support, letting Gabriel cover the wider areas, and using Rice to fill in gaps.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
If anything, it probably means White has a little less freedom to get forward. Zinchenko will still play and tuck in next to Rice/Partey in possession.

City played with Bernardo at LB at times last year. We'll be fine getting all of our top players onto the pitch in Arteta's system.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
I swear to god, google private equity funds. One investor isn't a big deal.

No it wouldn't, because it involves inverting Zinchenko to provide midfield support, letting Gabriel cover the wider areas, and using Rice to fill in gaps.
That will only work against bottom table teams imo. I’m not confident they can have the discipline to do this against better teams. If they would have to throw in say Holding or Kiwior instead of Gabriel then the whole thing would fall apart.

If anything, it probably means White has a little less freedom to get forward. Zinchenko will still play and tuck in next to Rice/Partey in possession.

City played with Bernardo at LB at times last year. We'll be fine getting all of our top players onto the pitch in Arteta's system.

I get it that Arteta want’s to do something rare as there is probably the only way to deal with City but this could easily backfire and we’re back to 8th again.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That will only work against bottom table teams imo. I’m not confident they can have the discipline to do this against better teams. If they would have to throw in say Holding or Kiwior instead of Gabriel then the whole thing would fall apart.

I get it that Arteta want’s to do something rare as there is probably the only way to deal with City but this could easily backfire and we’re back to 8th again.
It worked fine this season. Havertz's defensive numbers are actually quite good. And yes, if you have to play your backup CBs, it would require some reconfiguring. Not that shocking.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No other european clubs weighing offers for Mendy, Ziyech, CHO, Koulibaly is a lie and goes against every public report available. That’s the end of the discussion.
We simply do not know, those deals done by the Saudis (if they are truly done) happened in a matter of a couple of days and no other team had the ability to come in with an offer to challenge them.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He was one of their most important players last season, which is why Arteta so aggressively defended him despite the rape. And now they are hitting the eject next button? There is no way the off the field isn’t contributing to it.
I think you're reading too deep in the sand here mate, coaches regardless of the sport will defend their players to the public. While, Arteta is one of the craziest managers I've seen when it comes to defending players in public, so his actions are the norm for him and not an exception. Now with that said, just because he defends his players doesn't mean he wants to keep or had run-ins with them internally. We've seen that Mikkel got rid of Auba and Guendouzi due to internal conflicts even though he defended them 99.9% of the time against journalists.

Additionally, @Brunkmeister mentioned that he's on the wrong side of 30 and has picked up so many tiky-taky injuries that Abou Diaby and Aaron Ramsey would be impressed. It's only going to get worse from this point forward. He was a revolution last year until the last third of the season so don't think I am now a hypocritic wanting to get rid of him (rape charges aside). However, some of his poor play came with him running into some knocks around that time and I guess he wasn't playing fully healthy, but nobody else could have played his role due to our lack of depth/injuries. I have no problem keeping him and there is a good chance he does not accept a move to Saudia Arabia since he might want to stay in London.

Nonetheless, the Rice move sort of destroys his chances as a starter and if Arsenal is then able to get Lavia, then that makes Thomas redundant since Romeo can already provide the majority that Partey can and is eleven years younger. He is still an absolute starter for any of the top significant six clubs in the five major European leagues, but he just gets too many one to three-week injuries that reduces his talent.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Lloris replacement has been found. Spurs have agreed a deal in principle for Vicario at around €20M according to Di Marzio. Much prefer this over Raya.

Surprised that Spurs is low-balling Raya, he has the potential to turn into a 60 to 70-million-pound goalkeeper.
You are crazy. That would make him like the most expensive goalkeeper in the world. Look at all the circumstances.

1. He's not world class.
2. He's almost 28 so his value won't really appreciate.
3. He will leave for free next summer.
4. Brentford have already signed a replacement.

Hence why £40M is too much for Raya.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Lloris replacement has been found. Spurs have agreed a deal in principle for Vicario at around €20M according to Di Marzio. Much prefer this over Raya.

You are crazy. That would make him like the most expensive goalkeeper in the world. Look at all the circumstances.

1. He's not world class.
2. He's almost 28 so his value won't really appreciate.
3. He will leave for free next summer.
4. Brentford have already signed a replacement.

Hence why £40M is too much for Raya.
I've watched almost all of Vicario's Serie A games, both with Cagliari and Empoli. He's better than Lloris is now, but Raya's still slightly better than the Italian. I don't think he's 20 mil better though. Good business by the Spurs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad