Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Edition

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
That’s the equivalent of a Saudi move. Not really the sporting step down, more lateral, but guy is going to get buckets of cash Milan can’t pay.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Won’t harp on this again.

Get the skepticism with Koulibaly considering multiple years left. Whatever.

Ngolo had his head turned by Saudi Arabia and ditched our offer (which I think was for the best for us)

Hakim’s loan was supposed to be six months. He would have been back here once PSG’s season ended. That f*** up wasn’t a conspiracy.

Mendy’s getting like 70k p/w. Goalies of his level sell for around 15MM at the minimum. His wage isn’t exorbitant. He wanted to match Kepa’s 190k salary. That demand coincided with a drop in form.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yeah, I feel very similar about it. I wouldn't go as far as "furious" but I hate taking Chelsea's used undies in general (Petr Čech was the exception). As it's been inching closer to reality though I've had to try to convince myself that we'll be able to harness his potential, so I guess that's what I'll have to stick with. Also I'm liking a lot of the other names we're being connected with so if we can get a good number of those it will go a long way to taking my mind off it
I think Havertz is a different case, as he's still just entering his prime and was thought of as a top talent until he was used 8 different ways under a bevy of Chelsea managers. I really like the idea of him playing an 8/10 hybrid and think he has the skills for it.

Reactions: maclean and KJS14

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
That’s the equivalent of a Saudi move. Not really the sporting step down, more lateral, but guy is going to get buckets of cash Milan can’t pay.
Still playing in the CL at least. I'm sure he's getting paid, but they can't offer the insane Saudi league deals and still comply with FFP long-term (though whether or not FFP matters is up for debate).

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The issues are:

-He doesn't address a need. In a fantasy world I like collecting midfielders too, but we don't need him.
-He'll be 34 in two years when his contract is up.
-Financials aside isn't a thing for us. His wages block potential other signings and registering other players.
I didn't mean "financials aside" as in "money doesn't matter". More in the sense of just focusing on Gundo as a player at this point and the role he can play. But that's on me for phrasing it poorly. Like I said, I'm not at all up-to-date with Barcelona these days, but I understand the concerns.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Still playing in the CL at least. I'm sure he's getting paid, but they can't offer the insane Saudi league deals and still comply with FFP long-term (though whether or not FFP matters is up for debate).
No, not the ridiculous Saudi league money. I wouldn’t be in the least surprised if he 3x/4x his wages, though. Can’t imagine he was on that much at Milan.

Reactions: KJS14

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If you want to talk about Chelsea getting fees from Saudi Arabia for worthless players and it being shady someone’s going to have to explain the Havertz fee then. Guy is a lump. The way he’s played the last year or so that’s a heist.

Reactions: luiginb

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Who is Chelsea’s starting 11 after all this chaos? Are they really better?
I’m not sure what the starting 11 but the trimmed down 27ish man theoretical squad we are looking at right now is:

ST: Broja, Jackson?, DDF
LW: Mudryk, Sterling
RW: Madueke
10: Nkunku, Gallagher
CM: Enzo, Chukwuemeka, Santos, Casadei, Caicedo?
LB: Chilwell, Cucurella, Maatsen, Hall
LCB: Badiashille, Colwill
RCB: Fofana, Thiago, Chalobah
RB: Reece, Gusto, Azpi
GK: Kepa, Bettinelli

I would imagine DDF, 2/3 of the young CMs, 2/3 of Chilwell’s backups, and one or both of Chalobah/Azpi move on - either temporarily or on loan.

On top of Jackson/Caicedo, the squad needs another CM, inverted winger, and GK.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I didn't mean "financials aside" as in "money doesn't matter". More in the sense of just focusing on Gundo as a player at this point and the role he can play. But that's on me for phrasing it poorly. Like I said, I'm not at all up-to-date with Barcelona these days, but I understand the concerns.

Yeah, just for us it all adds up right now. Good news is the word is he's only going to be pocketing 9 million per season, gross. So he took a pay cut to make it happen.

Anyway, Gundogan completely agreed now.

Reactions: The Note

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
If you want to talk about Chelsea getting fees from Saudi Arabia for worthless players and it being shady someone’s going to have to explain the Havertz fee then. Guy is a lump. The way he’s played the last year or so that’s a heist.
That was going to be my next post. If the Saudis made Havertz the same offer, the discussion would have been the exact same about him.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
No, not the ridiculous Saudi league money. I wouldn’t be in the least surprised if he 3x/4x his wages, though. Can’t imagine he was on that much at Milan.
Definitely a shocking move, but they're spending that money wisely so far. Tonali is a better midfielder than a lot of what the top 6 clubs (or even the top half) have been overspending on.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021

So this conspiracy now includes Chelsea and Arsenal in bed with each other? Shit this thing just keep growing doesn’t it?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What’s wrong though? Arsenal wouldn’t be selling him if not for the rape
The idea that they're specifically selling him to a place that doesn't extradite is pretty silly given that that would mean the end of his international career and he would almost never be able to leave Saudi Arabia. I know it's your wont to find conspiracies, but there's no reason to think Arsenal wouldn't sell Partey anyway. They're clearly rebuilding their midfield (you should try it!) and selling older players.

Assuming the deals go through, the only players over 30 on the squad next season will be El Neny, who isn't projected to play but rather be a player/coach type figure as he rehabs and Jorginho, who is really kept around for locker room presence and to be the elder statesman. This idea that Arsenal wouldn't accept a large figure for a surplus player (as he would be behind Havertz and Rice in the best XI) that they can then use to replace him with someone younger (Caicedo or Lavia) is pretty silly.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
That was going to be my next post. If the Saudis made Havertz the same offer, the discussion would have been the exact same about him.
Difference being that there were other European clubs weighing offers for Havertz, and no one has come in for the other Chelsea players going to Saudi.

Also, Chelsea fans have been making arguments for Havertz/Mount fees up to 70M+, but now that he's going to Arsenal it's an overpay lol

Peen

Oct 6, 2013

Difference being that there were other European clubs weighing offers for Havertz, and no one has come in for the other Chelsea players going to Saudi.

Also, Chelsea fans have been making arguments for Havertz/Mount fees up to 70M+, but now that he's going to Arsenal it's an overpay lol
No other european clubs weighing offers for Mendy, Ziyech, CHO, Koulibaly is a lie and goes against every public report available. That’s the end of the discussion.

I don’t think it’s an overpay. I think the reported Mount and Havertz fees are pretty fair given the context.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
The idea that they're specifically selling him to a place that doesn't extradite is pretty silly given that that would mean the end of his international career and he would almost never be able to leave Saudi Arabia. I know it's your wont to find conspiracies, but there's no reason to think Arsenal wouldn't sell Partey anyway. They're clearly rebuilding their midfield (you should try it!) and selling older players.

Assuming the deals go through, the only players over 30 on the squad next season will be El Neny, who isn't projected to play but rather be a player/coach type figure as he rehabs and Jorginho, who is really kept around for locker room presence and to be the elder statesman. This idea that Arsenal wouldn't accept a large figure for a surplus player (as he would be behind Havertz and Rice in the best XI) that they can then use to replace him with someone younger (Caicedo or Lavia) is pretty silly.

I posted earlier why it’s probably a good idea to let him go but people obviously gone full lunatic and sees conspiracies everywhere. I don’t know if i’m even existing at this point.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
So this conspiracy now includes Chelsea and Arsenal in bed with each other? Shit this thing just keep growing doesn’t it?

I don't believe in any conspiracy at all. I'm just saying Chelsea got a lot of money for three terrible players. There's no conspiracy that explains the Havertz fee so I don't want to hear it.

You are missing the point. Clearlake isn’t in bed with Galatasaray or Zenit. They are in bed with the Saudi League. This is financial doping. And even when people were making those Turkey / Russia league moves they were generally cut rate moves or loans. That is not what is happening here.
O7Olth5SayrQpmDCPArj_pepesilvia.jpg

Reactions: Peen

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Definitely a shocking move, but they're spending that money wisely so far. Tonali is a better midfielder than a lot of what the top 6 clubs (or even the top half) have been overspending on.
There is City's midfield that is far and away the best in the league, then after that I don't really think there is a clear cut best of the rest midfield in the league.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
There is City's midfield that is far and away the best in the league, then after that I don't really think there is a clear cut best of the rest midfield in the league.
I'm biased, but Arsenal's midfield is clearly 2nd behind City. Doesn't matter if we're talking about last year or the potential new signings.

Other than City and Arsenal, Newcastle probably has a claim to 3rd if they secure Tonali. Brighton would have been up there if they didn't get raided. Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, and United all still have question marks.

Reactions: JPBolts

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
With City now losing Gundogan i don’t think there is a clear cut. None team has a stellar midfield at this point if you ask me.

I don't believe in any conspiracy at all. I'm just saying Chelsea got a lot of money for three terrible players. There's no conspiracy that explains the Havertz fee so I don't want to hear it.

O7Olth5SayrQpmDCPArj_pepesilvia.jpg

Well at least Havertz is still pretty young so while being shit so far there is still room for him to improve. It’s not a lost cause yet. But damn do he need to show something soon before it’s too late.

Reactions: S E P H and JPBolts

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I would be surprised if Arsenal is the only team involved in those Rice sweepstakes, but it seems he might be dedicated to staying in London and why Arsenal are the favourites. I've read reports that Man United are close to signing Mount for around 90 to 100 million, but it seems it has been that way for about a week now...

Surprised that Spurs is low-balling Raya, he has the potential to turn into a 60 to 70-million-pound goalkeeper.
Partey could be on the move to Saudi.

I don't really see the conspiracy in all of these clubs, I think Saudi is becoming a "get out of free jail" card for teams who made awful deals. I don't Partey is awful nor do I think Ziyech or Neves are either. But they like Koulibaly play a couple of seasons, make a ton of money, and come back to Europe. While players like Kante and Benzema will probably retire due to their age and are cashing in.
What’s wrong though? Arsenal wouldn’t be selling him if not for the rape
Now that's a jump-to-conclusion mat sort of post.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad