Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You lot think that Messi scoring against this Polish team is somehow breathtaking? He scores goals like a 37-year-old Michael Jordan can dunk, he's getting by through experience alone because he's done it like 500 times in the past. Plus, Argentina winning is more due to team aspects than him alone, he didn't singlehandedly put them in the finals as Drogba did for Chelsea, Mbappe did for France, or Modric did for Croatia. Endo came to play, Emi came to play, alot of the midfielders step up their game after losing to the Saudis, and you guys are already forgetting how amazing Alvarez was when the manager started him in the first team? Short-term memory problems here.
We have two sets of posters who think Messi did it alone and what ever this is. Go back and look at his play against Mexico, Australia, the Dutch, and France. His worse game was ironically against the poles.

Did he not play as a #10 for perhaps the longest time of his career? Isn't a #10 a midfield position? Granted I was wrong about de Jong because he plays deeper back, but in a 4-3-3 formation, you don't necessarily have a #10, which fits de Jong's role more pronounced.
Agan nothing makes sense here. Frenkie doesnt play a 10 and never has. You can look at the fact that when Frenkie, Pedri and Messi were on the team they started along side each other.

Reactions: Gecklund

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Did he not play as a #10 for perhaps the longest time of his career? Isn't a #10 a midfield position? Granted I was wrong about de Jong because he plays deeper back, but in a 4-3-3 formation, you don't necessarily have a #10, which fits de Jong's role more pronounced. That's why I mentioned him and he wouldn't be starting over Lewi as a #9 because Robert is the better striker (now).
Messi would play RW over Raphinha

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Mbappe singlehandedly put the most talented side in the finals?
I am thinking of certain moments sure; this year he did, last Euros he did (but they didn't win), and some moments in their WC win, absolutely. Granted their WC was more team aspects just as Argentina winning was more team aspects this year. Plus I thought Arg got a pretty easy bracket, but you play who's in front of you, you know? I argue that I thought Messi played better in previous years when the country didn't win anything, it's not a fluke that this current Argentina squad has won both SA Copa and WC within the same time frame when they couldn't win anything under Messi's prime.

We have two sets of posters who think Messi did it alone and what ever this is. Go back and look at his play against Mexico, Australia, the Dutch, and France. His worse game was ironically against the poles.

Agan nothing makes sense here. Frenkie doesnt play a 10 and never has. You can look at the fact that when Frenkie, Pedri and Messi were on the team they started along side each other.
Even though you're probably going to put me back on ignore, I still love ya mate. Never had any hard feelings against you.

GivenI don't get La Liga games anymore, Barca predominantly plays a 4-3-3. I get you are a Messi fanboy and that's totally fine, he ain't surpassing Pedri, Busquets, or de Jong in that formation. That means, bringing him back for Xavi is actually a negative for Barca and I argue makes you lot worse. @bluesfan94 did mention playing him as an RW and even though I think he would do well enough there due to his experience, he isn't currently better than Dembele, Gavi, or Torres (when Dembele gets his half-of-a-season groin pull injury lol, then he could challenge as a starter). Nonetheless, he has a lot of baggage and I am not he has the agility or speed required for a winger role. Not strictly talking about offence here, but the heavy requirement to track back on the defence as well. The only way bringing Messi back works is by going back to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1 formation and I doubt Xavi would do that.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Even though you're probably going to put me back on ignore, I still love ya mate. Never had any hard feelings against you.

GivenI don't get La Liga games anymore, Barca predominantly plays a 4-3-3. I get you are a Messi fanboy and that's totally fine, he ain't surpassing Pedri, Busquets, or de Jong in that formation. That means, bringing him back for Xavi is actually a negative for Barca and I argue makes you lot worse. @bluesfan94 did mention playing him as an RW and even though I think he would do well enough there due to his experience, he isn't currently better than Dembele, Gavi, or Torres (when Dembele gets his half-of-a-season groin pull injury lol, then he could challenge as a starter). Nonetheless, he has a lot of baggage and I am not he has the agility or speed required for a winger role. Not strictly talking about offence here, but the heavy requirement to track back on the defence as well. The only way bringing Messi back works is by going back to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1 formation and I doubt Xavi would do that.
Not gonna rehash that bs.

Busi is a DM so again this doesnt make sense.

Messi has played as inverted RW for years now and thats where he would slot. The likes of Torres, Dembele and Raphina arent better dont know how else to say it.

Reactions: gary69

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not gonna rehash that bs.

Busi is a DM so again this doesnt make sense.

Messi has played as inverted RW for years now and thats where he would slot. The likes of Torres, Dembele and Raphina arent better dont know how else to say it.
That's what am I implying, Messi wouldn't make it as a midfielder in Xavi's system unless he changes the formation, so the only way to incorporate him is to make him a winger. What we're disagreeing with is that you still think Messi can play as a top-calibre winger when I don't think he can (when you exclude experience). I knew he played as a winger in the past, but he isn't 27 years old anymore, I can't see him wanting to trackback all the time on defence in that role. Playing him as a winger will also take playing time away from the likes of Gavi, Fati, Torres, and Dembele who all deserve time to develop over a player who's closer to retirement. Bringing Messi back is more about the "feels" than logical reasoning, even though I would love to see the true El Clasico again with Ronaldo joining RM again and Messi back in Spain.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That's what am I implying, Messi wouldn't make it as a midfielder in Xavi's system unless he changes the formation, so the only way to incorporate him is to make him a winger. What we're disagreeing with is that you still think Messi can play as a top-calibre winger when I don't think he can (when you exclude experience). I knew he played as a winger in the past, but he isn't 27 years old anymore, I can't see him wanting to trackback all the time on defence in that role. Playing him as a winger will also take playing time away from the likes of Gavi, Fati, Torres, and Dembele who all deserve time to develop over a player who's closer to retirement. Bringing Messi back is more about the "feels" than logical reasoning, even though I would love to see the true El Clasico again with Ronaldo joining RM again and Messi back in Spain.
He played as a winger in the final against france and a lot over the last couple years.

Messi is still elite. You don't need to worry about "developing" a 25 year old.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He was a winger inverted when he left PSG. And at PSG and for the NT. How can you just exclude experience that really makes no sense because HE HAS the experience.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I'd give Ferran a piggy back ride back to Manchester if I'd have to choose between current Messi (still the best player in the world) and him. Including swimming the English Channel. And of course Messi wouldn't track back, but he never did.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Taking his talents too sunny Barcelona.

IM more convinced he wont stay at PSG at this point. Just unsure if it’s barca or not. Doubtful he leaves Europe right now given he still has a copa. Plus hes still the best player in the world atm.
He’s coming to United. To add another one up on CR7.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He was a winger inverted when he left PSG. And at PSG and for the NT. How can you just exclude experience that really makes no sense because HE HAS the experience.
No, other way around. I am saying at this point all he has is experience, whereas he has a lot of baggage on his legs to run around at the level you want a world-class winger to be for Barca. He doesn't have to move around as much as a #10.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He’s coming to United. To add another one up on CR7.
I mean is short on options but not that short. I thought of another Manchester team but with the uncertainty involving them he really has one option and that is to make up with barca. If he leaves psg and wants europe no one else can offer him enticing.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Tough to know with Canadian Footie sources. If this were to be true and end up happening it would be the biggest player in the league by far!

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
No, other way around. I am saying at this point all he has is experience, whereas he has a lot of baggage on his legs to run around at the level you want a world-class winger to be for Barca. He doesn't have to move around as much as a #10.
But that’s what he’s been playing for years which is why not a single person on here or in reality shares your view.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Taking his talents too sunny Barcelona.

IM more convinced he wont stay at PSG at this point. Just unsure if its barca or not. Doubtful he leaves Europe right now given he still has a copa. Plus hes still the best player in the world atm.
Yes. Barcelona is possible but they cannot afford him?...

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
This year Messi has 10g 10a in 18 league games. 4g 4a in 5 CL games. had 7g 3a in 7 world cup games.

He may not be as good as he was 5 years ago, but he's still pretty darn good.

Him and Ronaldo are not remotely comparable at this point.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad