Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Neither is size. So my wife tells me.

I can't believe D2D's ignorant attempt at humour made it this far in a transfer thread.
Its not an attempt at humour. Pogba is a fancy boy, he's lived in France, Italy and the UK. He simply wouldnt give this up under the age of 30 to go play in Canada. This is a hockey board, you would think people understand that Canadian teams struggle to attract UFA talent now imagine comparing Miami to Toronto for a European that has no affiliation to Canada.

If you want to live in fantasy land have at it but there are plenty of other places Pogba would rather go to...

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Its not an attempt at humour. Pogba is a fancy boy, he's lived in France, Italy and the UK. He simply wouldnt give this up under the age of 30 to go play in Canada. This is a hockey board, you would think people understand that Canadian teams struggle to attract UFA talent now imagine comparing Miami to Toronto for a European that has no affiliation to Canada.

If you want to live in fantasy land have at it but there are plenty of other places Pogba would rather go to...
I'm not trying to trash Toronto or anything, and this is all just fantasy talk anyways.

Man United paid Pogba a lot of money to live there. I'm not saying he hated Manchester climate either, but I don't think TFC is going to be significantly outbidding / overpaying on wages compared to other MLS teams.
You guys have no idea what you're talking about. Look at how much TFC has spent before posting.

You can argue about weather, taxes, marketability in North America, etc but when it comes to wages TFC has had the highest wage bill in MLS before. I'm guessing it's up there now as well with the team they have currently.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
You guys have no idea what you're talking about. Look at how much TFC has spent before posting.

You can argue about weather, taxes, marketability in North America, etc but when it comes to wages TFC has had the highest wage bill in MLS before. I'm guessing it's up there now as well with the team they have currently.
I mean the whole basis of the argument was weather/climate I believe.

Doesn't matter if TFC pays the highest wages if its not a significant upgrade on other MLS teams. If Pogba wanted the highest possible wages, he's not going to the MLS.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Where did I say anything about wages?

In the winter Canadians travel to Miami to ask the weather... no one in Miami is travelling to Canada.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You make a comment about Canadian teams struggling to attract UFAs.

Canadian teams struggling to attract UFAs has to do with taxes. Not wages.
That's all well and good but I didn't say otherwise. I merely said they struggle to attract players...

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The weather didn’t stand in the way of Toronto getting Bernardeschi, Insigne, Giovinco who were used to beautiful Italian days. The weather didn’t stand in the way of Montreal getting Drogba or Nesta.

I don’t think that Pogba is going to come to MLS, but if he’s interested in that then I have no doubt Toronto will be a big player going for him. Toronto has historically been one of the bigger DP draws.

It’s not as if we’re talking about Winnipeg or Edmonton here.

In the winter Canadians travel to Miami to ask the weather... no one in Miami is travelling to Canada.
This logic is bulletproof

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Toronto is a meh city; great food scene and some stuff to do, but it comes across as boring for a major metropolitan city. If I was a player in Canada, Quebec City would be my choice of residence.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Who voluntarily travels to Manchester instead of London?

You're acting like Toronto is a third world city compared to Manchester, a place where Pogba has already chosen to live twice. Yes obviously wages had a lot to do with that, but if climate was the only thing he cared about he probably wouldn't have left France in the first place as a teenager or left Turin for Manchester.

Toronto is a solid international city. Yea the winter sucks, but he'd miss most of that and there's plenty of culture around to keep someone entertained.

Sure if he's exclusively looking for an early retirement team, Miami wins, but there hasn't really been anything to indicate that all he cares about is relaxing on the beach.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
You haven’t followed Pogba closely if you think he’s choosing Canada over Miami. Or LA for that matter.

If he comes to MLS, it won’t be for the work. Work will be part time, behind Pogba the brand.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You haven’t followed Pogba closely if you think he’s choosing Canada over Miami. Or LA for that matter.

If he comes to MLS, it won’t be for the work. Work will be part time, behind Pogba the brand.

Wow. Pogba “the brand”. I guess the void left by Kmart had to be filled by somebody.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If Toronto was paying more, sure... he likely would go there. But if Pogba was coming (and once again, this is all stupid, because he's likely not) there are other clubs who would bid similar.

I don't even know how it's a debate that a 30 year old, black, millionaire, international athlete would prefer to go to Miami over Toronto. None the less a debate that's seemingly carrying on for multiple pages. Some Canadians are crazy pants if they think it's even a discussion. It has a lot less to do with how cold or not cold Toronto is. Miami has the beach and clubs. And no income tax. If the money is equal (and once again, this is all ridiculous), it's not a hard choice.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think it’s pretty clear the climate is better in Miami, but it’s not like Toronto is an arctic research station. Especially since he lived in Manchester for half a decade and that’s not a city known for its wonderful tropical climate.
Yeah and it's not like Juve is rocking a Mediterranean climate either.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Los Angeles is a perfect place for Auba and his bling lifestyle of rich and famous. Best and most favourite Arsenal player in the past fifteen years tied with Cazorla.
Really eh? I definitely liked him @ Arsenal but don't think he would be in my top 10 favs of the last decade or so.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Who voluntarily travels to Manchester instead of London?

You're acting like Toronto is a third world city compared to Manchester, a place where Pogba has already chosen to live twice. Yes obviously wages had a lot to do with that, but if climate was the only thing he cared about he probably wouldn't have left France in the first place as a teenager or left Turin for Manchester.

Toronto is a solid international city. Yea the winter sucks, but he'd miss most of that and there's plenty of culture around to keep someone entertained.

Sure if he's exclusively looking for an early retirement team, Miami wins, but there hasn't really been anything to indicate that all he cares about is relaxing on the beach.
Manchester United is a huge football brand. TFC is in the grand scheme of things. That's a huge difference.

If Pogba comes to MLS, it is going to be Miami or LAFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad