Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Mac Allister checks the boxes for me, albeit not being perfect. you can see an obviously fit. I don’t think a lot of the targets match up particular well though. If it’s Mac Allister and Mount being 2/3 of a midfield, kind of hard to envision who would be the best third guy in there (I mean maybe it’s Bajcetic but he will need some help so we don’t burn him out again). I think positionally you need a six but there also isn’t really an alpha dog in there either. I’m kind of talking myself into Palhinha, as I trust him in that role more than like a Rice/Lavia type. Obviously Caicedo would be the ideal though, but FSG probably Doesn’t have that vision. Gravenberch linked a lot too. If he is making the transfer he probably has to start but again you are going to need a diesel DM to cover that. As a whole just don’t love the strategy here.

I don't think a Mac + Mount pair in midfield is defensively reliable enough, especially with your two offensive fullbacks.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't think a Mac + Mount pair in midfield is defensively reliable enough, especially with your two offensive fullbacks.
Not even close. You’d need prime Fabinho to pull that off. You’ll get good pressing but it’ll be a revolving door. But they’d only been linked with more offensive players (like Gravenberch) and box to box guys (like Caicedo) so far. Again I think this summer Klopp has more power with transfers because no DOF wants to work with him and he is just trying to find like for like players with what his has now/has worked with before. I don’t think there are a ton of new ideas here.

I think having Trent in a double pivot; like he was against Arsenal, was pretty interesting. Mount and Mac Allister coming in throws that idea in the trash unless we want to be one of the slowest teams in the league

If they wanted to go with the Man City style look it considering their top three midfield targets, it probably looks something like:

Darwin
Diaz Mount Alexis Salah
Gravenberch Trent
Konate Virgil Gomez
Do I think that makes a lot of sense? Not particularly unless they want to try to win every game 4-2. Might be fun at least. Would def need to find another CB for starting lineup (and one for the bench) to make that part of the field work. Either way, it’s mess and major surgery is required

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Prepared to be proven wrong, but I very strongly feel that anyone who spends big money on Alexis Mac Allister will deeply regret it.

He's a good player who I've always been fond of, but his role in the Argentinian WC win (which, to me, was a tactical role which owes more to his willingness to work for the team and to Solari's good management) has inflated his value to an absurd extent.
Totally agree. Overrated.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I might be mixing him up with Verratti honestly. I remember him not playing against LFC last year, but I don’t watch as much Serie A as I used to, (and when I do I’m usually watching Napoli); I could certainly be off here. But still the Serie A to PL transition history is not always a good one. Either way, I don’t like Barella is likely.

Ornstein named dropped Gravenberch, Mount and Mac Allister for LFC today. In a vacuum that’s pretty hard to complain about but still no DM in there and it’s not Jude so obviously it’s going to feel underwhelming. Gravenberch and Mount are definitely the hottest names right now. If that is Plan B, then Mac Allister is probably the wrong Brighton midfielder to target; but if Arsenal comes back in for him, Caicedo is going to London. I think Rice is probably who Arsenal should be trying to get instead, but what to I know. I’m not a big Rice guy but he’d make more sense with between Gravenberch and Mount than Alexis would. But again none of this is what I’d be doing either.

Well to be fair the numbers say you’re certainly off. Only way he’s an injury concern as you suggested is if in all those starts he’s going off every match in the first half or something which I highly doubt is the case.

Romero is also reporting barca met with an agent of some Uruguayan u20 DM.

This would be good provided they did their due diligence on the Uruguayan. Kessie would be sold.

Gavi
Pedri
Busi
Frenkie
Gundogan
And the new kid. I’d be ok with this.

Fabricio Diaz. Did really well for Uruguay in the U-17 Sud Americano. One of their best players in the tournament. Kid looks really good if that tournament is any indication and a bargain at 4 million, especially if you missed out on Andrey Santos. Just grabbed him last month in my keeper league.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
According to Sport Bild, Bayern's list of striker targets for this summer includes Rasmus Højlund, Victor Osimhen, Randal Kolo Muani, and the eternal links to Harry Kane.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
According to Sport Bild, Bayern's list of striker targets for this summer includes Rasmus Højlund, Victor Osimhen, Randal Kolo Muani, and the eternal links to Harry Kane.

This paints such a funny picture, I'd kinda love to see it

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
To be fair, Kane makes the most sense out of all those options, a combinative center forward. But will Bayern pay what he's worth for Spurs? I have my doubt Kolo Muani is good enough for a wannabe Champions League winner, and Hojlund isn't for sure. Osimhen is another interesting option, as he's a striker in the Lewa mold.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's a little easier to find confidence and your best form when you have that set of creatives feeding you.

ECMC has been one of the best strikers in europe this season...or at least he was under Nagelsmann...and that's almost entirely down to confidence and understanding. Not just one of the most productive, but he's been playing unbelievably well in all aspects of the game.

Haven't seen much of Højlund, but Kolo Muani has the intelligence, link-up play, and vision to be great for a top team.

Plus Tel will be Bayern caliber in his prime if they don't ruin his development now that JN has been replaced by TT.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think it’s a little disingenuous to say Kolo Muani can’t be a top striker when he was toe nail away from winning the World Cup. Not saying it’ll happen for him but cmon

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Osimhen will be the top target this summer. It seems like he is a step above all other top strikers available by a wide margin.

I think he will join Man United at a new record fee.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I think it’s a little disingenuous to say Kolo Muani can’t be a top striker when he was toe nail away from winning the World Cup. Not saying it’ll happen for him but cmon
Bayern would probably want a striker who doesn't miss there. Again, fan of Kolo Muani, but just don't see him at Bayern level.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bayern would probably want a striker who doesn't miss there. Again, fan of Kolo Muani, but just don't see him at Bayern level.

I agree with you that I don't think Kolo Muani is quite in the same tier as Lewa was when they bought him and them getting him to hold the fort for Tel is certainly a lot less scary than if they had been able to afford Haaland.

But Bayern was dominating under Nagelsmann with ECMC leading the line. Granted ECMC was in the form of his life...just brilliant in his link-up play while finishing like a world-class striker...but Kolo Muani is perfectly capable of replicating that.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I agree with you that I don't think Kolo Muani is quite in the same tier as Lewa was when they bought him and them getting him to hold the fort for Tel is certainly a lot less scary than if they had been able to afford Haaland.

But Bayern was dominating under Nagelsmann with ECMC leading the line. Granted ECMC was in the form of his life...just brilliant in his link-up play while finishing like a world-class striker...but Kolo Muani is perfectly capable of replicating that.
Completely agree, but when the alternatives are Osimhen and especially Kane ...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Divock Origi won a champions league, that doesn't make him a top striker.
He did win a Champions League, didn’t he?

What a legend.

Completely agree, but when the alternatives are Osimhen and especially Kane ...
I mean, how realistic are those alternatives though? To me those are the “shoot the moon” signings and they should 100% go for it. But Kolo Muani is more realistic and gettable. And frankly he is nothing to scoff at. There’s a really good player in there

I mean Emi Martinez saved that more that RKM missed that.

Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sounds to me like Bellingham withdrawal syndrome.
I mean you you are trying to say Mount is currently a more realistic signing to Bellingham I agree with you. That’s basically what the comp is here

Might win another one, slight chances but hey

I would love if Origi got another one.

I also think Benfica would have at least been in the final if the kept Enzo. And I suspect Benfica feels the same

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad