Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Prepared to be proven wrong, but I very strongly feel that anyone who spends big money on Alexis Mac Allister will deeply regret it.

He's a good player who I've always been fond of, but his role in the Argentinian WC win (which, to me, was a tactical role which owes more to his willingness to work for the team and to Solari's good management) has inflated his value to an absurd extent.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Prepared to be proven wrong, but I very strongly feel that anyone who spends big money on Alexis Mac Allister will deeply regret it.

He's a good player who I've always been fond of, but his role in the Argentinian WC win (which, to me, was a tactical role which owes more to his willingness to work for the team and to Solari's good management) has inflated his value to an absurd extent.
Yeah I can see this too, but he’s proven international and PL level. One thing I would say is that of his 8 goals this year a lot are PK or dead ball so I think if someone is signing him to bring goals from midfield that could get a little dicey. I actually think the best team for him is probably Chelsea (or Man City) but what do I know. He’d help my team but I certainly don’t think it’s his best fit necessarily

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Yeah I can see this too, but he’s proven international and PL level. One thing I would say is that of his 8 goals this year a lot are PK or dead ball so I think if someone is signing him to bring goals from midfield that could get a little dicey. I actually think the best team for him is probably Chelsea (or Man City) but what do I know. He’d help my team but I certainly don’t think it’s his best fit necessarily
Maybe I'm just feeling provocative this evening (it's been wicked warm in Toronto, I've been drinking in the sun all day), but I think that if not for the World Cup he'd be thought of similar to Conor Gallagher - who, though one of my favourite Cobham products, would be insane to spend 60m quid on.

If y'all go in on Mac Allister, I'd happily take Barella instead :laugh:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean he's definitely better than Gallagher... Before this year I wasn't his biggest fan actually didn't rate him much but he's a good player. Inflated fee probably, I think KLopp would elevate him but it wouldnt be much use for the NT when he comes burnt out.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Maybe I'm just feeling provocative this evening (it's been wicked warm in Toronto, I've been drinking in the sun all day), but I think that if not for the World Cup he'd be thought of similar to Conor Gallagher - who, though one of my favourite Cobham products, would be insane to spend 60m quid on.

You're not wrong but comparing him to Gallagher is lunacy. Gallagher's alright but he's gaining a lot of good-will from solid blue-collar/lone bright spot on disaster club syndrome.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I mean he's definitely better than Gallagher... Before this year I wasn't his biggest fan actually didn't rate him much but he's a good player. Inflated fee probably, I think KLopp would elevate him but it wouldnt be much use for the NT when he comes burnt out.
Gallagher's stat line in 2021-22 is similar to Mac's, the only difference is that Gally's goals were from open play and he's two years younger!

I'm being hot-takey for its own sake, but I think they're both best described as work horses who can chip in with goals from midfield.

You're not wrong but comparing him to Gallagher is lunacy. Gallagher's alright but he's gaining a lot of good-will from solid blue-collar/lone bright spot on disaster club syndrome.
Eh, Gallagher's star has faded because of how much of a disaster this Chelsea team is. He truly was very very good on Palace last year (and Palace weren't a disaster club, FWIW). But fair play, I getcha.

Reactions: luiginb

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Eh, Gallagher's star has faded because of how much of a disaster this Chelsea team is. He truly was very very good on Palace last year. But fair play, I getcha.

Don't get me wrong, he's a real nice piece that probably wouldn't be getting his due on a big club doing well, but I'd be hesitant to consider him ever being as good a piece on a WC winning team as Mac was.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Don't get me wrong, he's a real nice piece that probably wouldn't be getting his due on a big club doing well, but I'd be hesitant to consider him ever being as good a piece on a WC winning team as Mac was.
Absolutely, but this is kinda part of my point. If not for the WC run, that's likely how we'd be thinking about Mac. The WC run has caused a surge in Mac's value disproportionate (IMO) to what he provides.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Gallagher's stat line in 2021-22 is similar to Mac's, the only difference is that Gally's goals were from open play and he's two years younger!

I'm being hot-takey for its own sake, but I think they're both best described as work horses who can chip in with goals from midfield.
Mac plays deeper for Brighton. His goals come from Fk, Penalties or a golazo from outside the box. His bread and butter is how he controls the midfield and is anti press though. I think he'll be serviceable for any club that signs him except city in the EPL.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think Mac is getting slept on. Oozes class in everything he does, so good as a deep lying playmaker, amazing on the edge of the box, tracks back well, etc. He is extremely efficient with his touches as well, nothing is wasted.

Best BHAFC midfielder ever and I think he goes on to do big things.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think Mac is getting slept on. Oozes class in everything he does, so good as a deep lying playmaker, amazing on the edge of the box, tracks back well, etc. He is extremely efficient with his touches as well, nothing is wasted.

Best BHAFC midfielder ever and I think he goes on to do big things.
I would agree has this years progressed the more I watch him the more I’m impressed.

Reactions: robertmac43

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
My issue with Gallagher is I think he needs the ball on his feet/needs thing to run though him like it did at Palace. I don’t think he is super creative I think teams like him because he runs. Honestly he reminds me a bit of early Henderson, but I don’t think he’s as good a passer as Henderson is. If Chelsea is willing to sell, I doubt that they think he can develop as a tertiary piece and I don’t think any of the top 6-8 teams are going to run their team through him.

Mac Allister as Bob Mac said have proven he can excel in a Robin role. I think Alexis is more creative and has better IQ. Maybe/maybe not a huge difference. I think Mac Allister you kind of know what you are going to get. Gallagher I think you are going to need to coach up; but I think Chelsea think that he isn’t making that transition/does not have a role in a higher level team. That’s kind of where I’m at - do you have time to develop him for a role that he currently isn’t suited to? Hard to say. I don’t think you currently can play him deeper. I just see Henderson without the passing ranger. If I was talking young English midfielders, not sure if this is a hot take, but I’d be looking at Jacob Ramsey instead. Especially since Emery has gotten a hold of him he’s taken a leap

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Maybe I'm just feeling provocative this evening (it's been wicked warm in Toronto, I've been drinking in the sun all day),
How is Toronto in June? I’ll be up in the middle of the month. No TFC or Blue Jays games so will actually need to do find something to do. Heard it’s an underrated food scene
I doubt it’s Barella for LFC

Everything is Mount and Gravenberch now (Mac Allister next up) but if that’s the plan they are going to need a hell of a DM to pull that off. Like you probably need a Palhinha level screening player to make that work. Palhinha would be a good signing but it would be an incredibly annoying one. LFC (self proclaimed Portuguese League scouting experts) would have walked into Top 4 this season if they would have signed Palhinha and now to get him they have to probably (at least) double Fulham’s money for him. And if they were getting Palhinha I’m just signing Thuram instead of Mount/Mac Allister and just running three 6’3” guys that can move in midfield and telling teams to deal with that. But again I don’t think LFC has that kind of vision right now

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It crazy how he makes other players look unreal as well. Guys like Under, Welbz, March, Estupinan are all solid, but they benefit so much from Mac's work in the midfield.
Was hoping Alexis would help Facundo sadly though he's played as much as I first thought he would. Although Im sure in training sessions its different.
My issue with Gallagher is I think he needs the ball on his feet/needs thing to run though him like it did at Palace. I don’t think he is super creative I think teams like him because he runs. Honestly he reminds me a bit of early Henderson, but I don’t think he’s as good a passer as Henderson is. If Chelsea is willing to sell, I doubt that they think he can develop as a tertiary piece and I don’t think any of the top 6-8 teams are going to run their team through him.

Mac Allister as Bob Mac said have proven he can excel in a Robin role. I think Alexis is more creative and has better IQ. Maybe/maybe not a huge difference. I think Mac Allister you kind of know what you are going to get. Gallagher I think you are going to need to coach up; but I think Chelsea think that he isn’t making that transition/does not have a role in a higher level team. That’s kind of where I’m at - do you have time to develop him for a role that he currently isn’t suited to? Hard to say. I don’t think you currently can play him deeper. I just see Henderson without the passing ranger. If I was talking young English midfielders, not sure if this is a hot take, but I’d be looking at Jacob Ramsey instead. Especially since Emery has gotten a hold of him he’s taken a leap
I dont disagree with all this exact for the IQ bit where its really clear. Also Gallagher just screams Milner to me tbh.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Was hoping Alexis would help Facundo sadly though he's played as much as I first thought he would. Although Im sure in training sessions its different.

I dont disagree with all this exact for the IQ bit where its really clear. Also Gallagher just screams Milner to me tbh.
My Gallagher comp is “what the non-LFC PL fans think prime Jordan Henderson was” which is basically post-prime Milner career

Last edited:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

Only if you buy him to be a number 6. He walks into about just any midfield in world football.

I actually like the Alexis - Gally comparison, with the obvious caveats (first one is more technical and a better passer, the second one offers more hustle/defensive work, goals). Ramsey is still far away from these two at the moment offensively.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
For what it's worth, Klopp did get 5 seasons of 55-60 matches out of Gini Wijnaldum. He played mid 30 matches at PSG, and while not amazing, is still another year of pretty heavy use. That's also after almost 40 for Newcastle the season before.

Sure, he got a lot out of him, but he was generally fit throughout the period he was in Liverpool's lineup, and performed for the national team as well.

If Mac Allister has a 5-6 year window where he's putting in 50 matches for Liverpool and playing like a stud for Argentina, I think everyone involved would be quite happy with it.

He's also in his 30s. Running that much, as physical as he played, is going to take a lot out of the guy. Klopp or not. Sure.. there are systems that protect players, but is he that good of a player in that type of system?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
As long as BHA keeps Groß, they'll be fine.
He is such an underrated players. Massive part of the club since he arrived.

Facundo will get his moment, I think he features heavily next season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
For what it's worth, Klopp did get 5 seasons of 55-60 matches out of Gini Wijnaldum. He played mid 30 matches at PSG, and while not amazing, is still another year of pretty heavy use. That's also after almost 40 for Newcastle the season before.

Sure, he got a lot out of him, but he was generally fit throughout the period he was in Liverpool's lineup, and performed for the national team as well.

If Mac Allister has a 5-6 year window where he's putting in 50 matches for Liverpool and playing like a stud for Argentina, I think everyone involved would be quite happy with it.

He's also in his 30s. Running that much, as physical as he played, is going to take a lot out of the guy. Klopp or not. Sure.. there are systems that protect players, but is he that good of a player in that type of system?
Mac Allister checks the boxes for me, albeit not being perfect. you can see an obviously fit. I don’t think a lot of the targets match up particular well though. If it’s Mac Allister and Mount being 2/3 of a midfield, kind of hard to envision who would be the best third guy in there (I mean maybe it’s Bajcetic but he will need some help so we don’t burn him out again). I think positionally you need a six but there also isn’t really an alpha dog in there either. I’m kind of talking myself into Palhinha, as I trust him in that role more than like a Rice/Lavia type. Obviously Caicedo would be the ideal though, but FSG probably Doesn’t have that vision. Gravenberch linked a lot too. If he is making the transfer he probably has to start but again you are going to need a diesel DM to cover that. As a whole just don’t love the strategy here.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Romero is also reporting barca met with an agent of some Uruguayan u20 DM.

This would be good provided they did their due diligence on the Uruguayan. Kessie would be sold.

Gavi
Pedri
Busi
Frenkie
Gundogan
And the new kid. I’d be ok with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad