Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Don't think this is overly legit but I would be very down.

Don't let a shiny display in one CL game fool you, he's good for Serie A but he's not Arsenal quality, unless you only want him as a backup. Undersized typical number 10 who's less useful/willing defensively than Messi. Source: watched about 15 Milan games this year.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Don't let a shiny display in one CL game fool you, he's good for Serie A but he's not Arsenal quality, unless you only want him as a backup. Undersized typical number 10 who's less useful/willing defensively than Messi. Source: watched about 15 Milan games this year.
For the right price you get a 23 y/o with solid raw talent. Doesn't need to be a week in week out starter, just solid coverage.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
For the right price you get a 23 y/o with solid raw talent. Doesn't need to be a week in week out starter, just solid coverage.
Might qualify as homegrown?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
According to Klopp, they have “around 12” targets for midfielders this summer.

I don’t know how you go from Tchouameni or Bellingham ONLY, to 12 targets. At least one of those last summers would have made a huge difference this season.

Don’t know all 12 but the most common recurring names seem to (alphabetically) be

Barella
Caicedo
Gallagher
Gravenberch
Mac Allister
Matheus Nunes
Mount
Rice

It’s not great, especially if those top guys come off the board

Klopp’s press conference today was a mess. Don’t want to bore the people who don’t care, but if yall want to point and laugh you’ll have plenty of ammo if you look for it.

“Decisions about the budget comes from our owners”

Shocked at how avoidable this all was

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I quite like Diaz, he isn't without his faults, but I see him as a more offensive version of Cazorla. Not as good of a passer, but makes up for it with his dribbling. With Odegaard and Vieira I am not sure what he brings that is new compared to those players. He should stay in Milan IMHO, he doesn't fit Real Madrid's squad either.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
According to Klopp, they have “around 12” targets for midfielders this summer.

I don’t know how you go from Tchouameni or Bellingham ONLY, to 12 targets. At least one of those last summers would have made a huge difference this season.

Don’t know all 12 but the most common recurring names seem to (alphabetically) be

Barella
Caicedo
Gallagher
Gravenberch
Mac Allister
Matheus Nunes
Mount
Rice

It’s not great, especially if those top guys come off the board

Klopp’s press conference today was a mess. Don’t want to bore the people who don’t care, but if yall want to point and laugh you’ll have plenty of ammo if you look for it.

“Decisions about the budget comes from our owners”

Shocked at how avoidable this all was
Guarantee Palhinha is on that list because the people who run this club are lazy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Guarantee Palhinha is on that list because the people who run this club are lazy.
He could be. If he is it’s a big indictment on their scouting. After bragging about their Portuguese league scouting, to watch Palhinha and Nunes go to other teams last summer and then have to play over the odds to get them one year later is just horrible business/laziness/cost them top 4. Not a lot of positives there. I’d be pretty furious if that’s what they came away with honestly.
Barella would be a good pick up.
Barella is very talented but he is so small, can’t stay healthy in Serie A and highly doubt Inter considers to sell. He’s another one like Mount where I appreciate the skill but do not see a good fit within the team. They can’t eat another injury prone midfielder. Doesn’t help defensively either and Italians don’t exactly have the best history of transitioning to England anyway

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Barella would be a great pickup for any team in the 8/10 position. He's not useless defensively either, he's quite the pitbull but of course you shouldn't play him as a DM. I rate him a lot higher than Brahim Diaz on both sides of the pitch.

Reactions: les Habs

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Barella would be a great pickup for any team in the 8/10 position. He's not useless defensively either, he's quite the pitbull but of course you shouldn't play him as a DM. I rate him a lot higher than Brahim Diaz on both sides of the pitch.
He is a pit Bull. He plays a very high impact style. He certainly presses but is useless in the air and doesn’t win duels. But my issue is if he can’t stay healthy in Serie A, he’s not going to stay healthy in the PL. I certainly wouldn’t complain if he came in but that also pretty much locks them into 433, which there is some evidence they’ve been trying to move away from

Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Don’t love it, but for 25m, I guess you could do a lot worse. Still don’t think it’s a great fit though. Red flag that he’s the only Ajax guy ETH hasn’t been linked with. Don’t like his development; this was a raw player that hasn’t gotten near enough minutes this season. Supposedly he’s not a great trainer and Klopp won’t stand for that (but Klopp might also be checked out) so yeah, not super happy here

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
He could be. If he is it’s a big indictment on their scouting. After bragging about their Portuguese league scouting, to watch Palhinha and Nunes go to other teams last summer and then have to play over the odds to get them one year later is just horrible business/laziness/cost them top 4. Not a lot of positives there. I’d be pretty furious if that’s what they came away with honestly.

Barella is very talented but he is so small, can’t stay healthy in Serie A and highly doubt Inter considers to sell. He’s another one like Mount where I appreciate the skill but do not see a good fit within the team. They can’t eat another injury prone midfielder. Doesn’t help defensively either and Italians don’t exactly have the best history of transitioning to England anyway

He is a pit Bull. He plays a very high impact style. He certainly presses but is useless in the air and doesn’t win duels. But my issue is if he can’t stay healthy in Serie A, he’s not going to stay healthy in the PL. I certainly wouldn’t complain if he came in but that also pretty much locks them into 433, which there is some evidence they’ve been trying to move away from

Not sure what you mean by Barella not saying healthy in Serie A. He’s played in 29 of Inter’s 30 matches, starting 27 of them. 36 matches each of the prior two seasons (36 and 32 starts respectively). The biggest concerns should be does he fit and how much are Inter going to want?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not sure what you mean by Barella not saying healthy in Serie A. He’s played in 29 of Inter’s 30 matches, starting 27 of them. 36 matches each of the prior two seasons (36 and 32 starts respectively). The biggest concerns should be does he fit and how much are Inter going to want?
Are you getting Barella mixed up with Zaniolo? Barella has hardly missed a game since he joined Inter
I might be mixing him up with Verratti honestly. I remember him not playing against LFC last year, but I don’t watch as much Serie A as I used to, (and when I do I’m usually watching Napoli); I could certainly be off here. But still the Serie A to PL transition history is not always a good one. Either way, I don’t like Barella is likely.

Ornstein named dropped Gravenberch, Mount and Mac Allister for LFC today. In a vacuum that’s pretty hard to complain about but still no DM in there and it’s not Jude so obviously it’s going to feel underwhelming. Gravenberch and Mount are definitely the hottest names right now. If that is Plan B, then Mac Allister is probably the wrong Brighton midfielder to target; but if Arsenal comes back in for him, Caicedo is going to London. I think Rice is probably who Arsenal should be trying to get instead, but what to I know. I’m not a big Rice guy but he’d make more sense with between Gravenberch and Mount than Alexis would. But again none of this is what I’d be doing either.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He’s gonna ruin his career… shame
He’s a World Cup winner. He’s already a made man. Liverpool probably is a very good spot for him. He’d be “the guy” there. Would probably have at least a season with Klopp (who is a lot of things but not someone who generally is a career ruiner). And he can make impact at a famous club. Maybe not perfect but could do a lot worse. LFC would be pretty happy and appreciate him at least

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He’s a World Cup winner. He’s already a made man. Liverpool probably is a very good spot for him. He’d be “the guy” there. Would probably have at least a season with Klopp (who is a lot of things but not someone who generally is a career ruiner). And he can make impact at a famous club. Maybe not perfect but could do a lot worse. LFC would be pretty happy and appreciate him at least
Him being a made guy is irrelevant for future tournaments. They have massive chances to do something extraordinary I really hope they dont take it for granted ... I know I'm not. This cycle rarely comes along the next 2 tournaments are winnable. Who knows how long until another group of players can produce the same magic?

Im only issue with a midfield Klopp gets his hands on is that he may see Alexis as a Gini replacement and just run him to the ground. Alexis at his best is a possession player. If Klopp utilises him like that then no issue but if he doesn't I think Alexis would have a short career.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Him being a made guy is irrelevant for future tournaments. They have massive chances to do something extraordinary I really hope they dont take it for granted ... I know I'm not. This cycle rarely comes along the next 2 tournaments are winnable. Who knows how long until another group of players can produce the same magic?

Im only issue with a midfield Klopp gets his hands on is that he may see Alexis as a Gini replacement and just run him to the ground. Alexis at his best is a possession player. If Klopp utilises him like that then no issue but if he doesn't I think Alexis would have a short career.
I don’t think any of this is wrong but LFC are certainly Screaming for that kind of player.

Klopp is running transfers now (thumbs down) and I just feel like he is trying to bring the band back together. Alexis = Gini. Mount = Lallana. Gallagher = Milner/Henderson. Gravenberch = discount Jude.

I don’t think there is any evidence there are a whole lot of new ideas here, and there is still no DM targets

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad