Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Andy Robertson and 5’10” and TAA is 5’9” so it’s really weird for a Liverpool fan to obsess over the height of fullbacks.
Kind of weird to be looking up the heights of other fullbacks to make a point and still use two guys that are bigger

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kind of weird to be looking up the heights of other fullbacks to make a point and still use two guys that are bigger

Why is using the height of two shorter players a weird way to illustrate the point that shorter players can be successful playing FB in the EPL?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

I looked it up because neither have struck me as being very tall so I decided to check.

Is your argument that 5’9” is good enough to be an elite FB in the PL but 5’7” is too short?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Why is using the height of two shorter players a weird way to illustrate the point that shorter players can be successful playing FB in the EPL?
I looked it up because neither have struck me as being very tall so I decided to check.

Is your argument that 5’9” is good enough to be an elite FB in the PL but 5’7” is too short?
I’m just saying I don’t think he is going to be able to defend, especially in a back 4. And again Utd would be having an unprecedentedly small backline if they are adding him. Don’t see any lies there.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Fun fact

AWB - Maguire - Martinez - Malacia

Is literally the same average height as

Shaw - Varane - Martinez - Firmpong

So no, the latter is not “unprecedentedly small”

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Fun fact

AWB - Maguire - Martinez - Malacia

Is literally the same average height as

Shaw - Varane - Martinez - Firmpong

So no, the latter is not “unprecedentedly small”
Except that’s not how it works.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You can deny it all you want.
I suggest you get a list of all known French pundits, run Google translate and spend a day trying to find one who isn't saying this.
Then you will (won't) admit you're just wrong and as such I'm not being hyperbolic.

Well that’d be your job in this, not mine. Just as it’d be your job to find all neutral L1 fans (you must have a list since you‘re speaking for all of them) and then I think it’s all Messi fans who aren’t also Barca supporters. Have fun.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That’s not how what works?

Do you know what the word unprecedented means?
It’s unprecedented that a 5’9 CB would be starting next to a 5’6” fullback in the premier league, especially for a UCL team. unless you want to provide any examples otherwise.

Average height doesn’t matter here, Luke Shaw isn’t lending Martinez a couple inches

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It’s unprecedented that a 5’9 CB would be starting next to a 5’6” fullback in the premier league, especially for a UCL team. unless you want to provide any examples otherwise.

Average height doesn’t matter here, Luke Shaw isn’t lending Martinez a couple inches

It literally happened today for a team in a CL spot.

And Firmpong wouldn't even start next to Martinez. I just flipped Shaw and Fimpong when I listen them. Martinez almost always plays on the left of the CB pair and Shaw is an LB.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It literally happened today for a team in a CL spot.

And Firmpong wouldn't even start next to Martinez. I just flipped Shaw and Fimpong when I listen them. Martinez almost always plays on the left of the CB pair and Shaw is an LB.
Which team? Also United?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes, Martinez started next to Malacia today as he has multiple times this season (either starting or playing) without their height causing significant issues.
Ok so it’s the same team then. I think they’ve looked less good in the second half of the season after teams have gotten a look at them. And if they go Frimpong they are getting even smaller. It’s a choice. Maybe it hurts them, maybe it doesn’t but again what United are doing is unprecedented. Only they are doing it

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
To be fair, it was against Everton.

Sure, but Martinez/Malacia was also the starting left side of the backline against Arsenal near the beginning of the season when they won 3-1 and against Liverpool early in the season when they won 2-1.

Ultimately the point is that:

1.) Firmpong - Varane - Martinez - Shaw is not an unprecedentedly small backline either by average or on either side; Shaw - Martinez haven't had issues with size this year and Firmpong could be 3'3" and still provide basically the same ariel presence as AWB or Dalot.
2.) Even if it was Shaw - Varane - Martinez - Firmpong is *still* wouldn't be "unprecedentedly small." Yes it would be right near the bottom for size on the left side, but it just doesn't matter that much. Size is most important on set pieces and United has a good sized midfield to make up for any "short"comings on the backline.

Reactions: Gecklund

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Needs to be emphasized again that size =/= aerial ability. Thiago Silva (listed at 6'0" but most likely more like 5'10") wipes the FLOOR with Koulibaly (6'1"), Christensen (6'2"), Chalobah (6'4"), when it comes to presence in the air. You can be dominant in the air without being tall. At fullback, it's ESPECIALLY less crucial.

Concerns about Lisandro Martinez's height were greatly overstated, and if I'm a ManU fan I'm not losing sleep over a 5'7" fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad