Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Being valued, winning shit, feeling like a manager is going to grow your game, being part of a project, competition, could all be just as important to some players as maximizing your salary. Facilities, manager support, playing with your friends, also weigh in. Additionally, if you're a key cog, or the main guy to where you go, you can always get a new contract when you show that you're that important (which a lot of clubs, especially Liverpool are happy to reward performing players) to warrant your contribution.

We also aren't talking about a guy at the end of the line who will never get another deal, or another move, or what have you. If you take less now, but turn around and get more accolades, more stability, more achievements individually, and as a club, you likely will get more money accordingly. That's also to say, If I go from 80k a week to 170k a week, that's a hell of a raise. Especially if there's escalators or performance based incentives. It's not 250k a week, but I'm not on the street either.

If I'm Bobby Firmino, the stability of Liverpool is nice, but it's likely my last deal. I need to get paid what I can. If I'm Mason Mount, and I believe in myself, I could afford to take a bit less now, for more reward personally and potentially financially down the road.

For some players, and some agents, the dollars are all that matter. But I don't really know what's at play here. There's clearly some element of concern about the project, as he's likely getting offered a pretty good package to stay.

The one thing you didn't mention is that if he leaves Chelsea for Liverpool he knows he won't have to play for three or four different managers. For some players this would be a very big deal. There's possibly an element of 'I don't trust you guys, so I want more money from you to help me out with that'

Reactions: Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Extension talks with Davies are currently on going, while Pavard's intentions are unclear.
I could imagine there would be interest from Chelsea if the Chilwell/City interest turns out to be very mutual rather than just one way.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I could imagine there would be interest from Chelsea if the Chilwell/City interest turns out to be very mutual rather than just one way.

I'm sure if you sent them Enzo money they'd consider it, but his extension talks seem to be going smoothly. So I doubt they'd be interested in selling him for a sane figure.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The one thing you didn't mention is that if he leaves Chelsea for Liverpool he knows he won't have to play for three or four different managers. For some players this would be a very big deal. There's possibly an element of 'I don't trust you guys, so I want more money from you to help me out with that'
Yeah, I've implied as much, but being part of the Klopp project, and having manager support is likely at the core of what he might want to do.

He knows he will have to improve his game, find how he fits in what Liverpool do, but at least he knows the manager will provide the stability to get him there. It can't be easy to be unsure about who is going to be coaching you each week, and how you exactly fit in their plans. It's not like he hasn't been good for them at times. He should want to feel like he's a centerpiece going forward for the club. I don't know if Potter or ownership see that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Okay so distilling things a bit; rightfully or wrongfully/whether I agree or not. This kind of seems like LFC plan to me for midfielder. Jude is kind of in his own category. Whether that happens or not. Then you do Mount and/or Matheus Nunes; those have been the two strongest links besides Jude. I personally would do Mac Allister instead of one of those two but here we are. Then, if there is any money left, maybe you take a shot on a young like like Kone, Thuram, etc.

But before they go to the Mac Allister/young guy tier, they probably go for LCB. Posted some of the names about a week ago, don’t need to rehash but will say it’s interesting that they were looking at A LOT of left footed players from back threes. I don’t know if they are trying to go back three. I don’t know why the point of Mount or Matheus Nunes is if you go back three either, but again here we are.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG's plan for next summer is to get rid of Neymar and Messi (among others).
They want to bring Skrinniar (already done), Pau Torres, Sangare and Manu Kone. Maybe Marcus Thuram too.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
They want to bring Skrinniar (already done), Pau Torres, Sangare and Manu Kone. Maybe Marcus Thuram too.

Isn't Neymar salary around 1 million per week and he has, what, 3 years left on his contract? Can't see anyone else paying him that, on top of paying any sizeble transfer fee for him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
PSG about to hog all the midfielders against next summer

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Isn't Neymar salary around 1 million per week and he has, what, 3 years left on his contract? Can't see anyone else paying him that, on top of paying any sizeble transfer fee for him.

Yeah, but if they give him off the second half of the season for his sister’s birthday they might convince him.

• Haha
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Assuming Mbappe stays (which I think he will do), that sounds like a solid plan.
Heard rumors abour Kolo Muani too.

I would probably go for a class veteran midfielder too.

I don't know what happens to Kovacic at Chelsea, but he's entering his final year of the contract, and City seems to be in on him already - but someone of that ilk, winning pedigree, mobile, great on the ball, good defensively, etc. Maybe De Jong? Dunno. But would definitely go for some experience and class in the midfield - but also a team-first guy who'll graft it out when needed.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm sure that's not a problem for Chelsea. Or City.

Pau Torres is overrated.
Would be 4th on the depth chart. Maybe 5th. He'd be a great 4th CB.

Not UCL winner quality, for sure
Please name the CL winners who'd count a player like Pau Torres as their 4th CB?
I'm curious.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I'm sure that's not a problem for Chelsea. Or City.
I can't see City going for it. They have "FU money", but unless desperate, they've not being throwing it around THAT much on transfers lately.

Chelsea.... Maybe.
Can't see him wanting to move to Newcastle.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG about to hog all the midfielders against next summer
I think they'll ship a lot of the current ones.

I can't see City going for it. They have "FU money", but unless desperate, they've not being throwing it around THAT much on transfers lately.

Chelsea.... Maybe.
Can't see him wanting to move to Newcastle.
Transfer would probably be cheap and I'm sure Pep would both love him and turn him into a menace, even more than he is (for some reason people are writing off his first half of the season).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If he's going to be a back-up that's fine. As a starter, not good enough. And why would PSG spend 50 million on a back-up?
Because they've just started a CL knockout stage with :
- Ramos, 45 years old
- Danilo, midfielder
- injured Marquinhos, replaced by
- an injured RB Mukiele, replaced by
- a 17 year old with 0 CL minutes

So, even adding Skriniar instead of Ramos, this team REALLY needs a good CB who can be on the bench and play well when called upon.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't have a problem with Torres. I think he's alright, especially in the lack of good ball playing central defenders. But, he needs help scheme and manager wise. So, we shall see.

I was not being serious, mostly making fun of the Qatari Footbal Empire to be.
Yeah... I understand. I think moving that contract is going to be tough unless they just pay him to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad