Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Tbh it all depends on the offers.
“Talk of Mount demanding £300,000 a week is not true. However, he has turned down some offers which are certainly in the region of what James has been given.”

Simon Johnson in The Athletic

Reece James makes 250k p/w.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I completely get that he's turned down offers. But I don't think that's a guarantee that he's getting some monster contract to move.

If he makes 250 or 150, he's still well paid. Maybe he's soured on the process and wants to see what's out there before he signs. Maybe he has decided his future should lie elsewhere. We definitely know it isn't beyond Liverpool and Klopp to have had some discussions with the player or the player's rep.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I completely get that he's turned down offers. But I don't think that's a guarantee that he's getting some monster contract to move.

If he makes 250 or 150, he's still well paid. Maybe he's soured on the process and wants to see what's out there before he signs. Maybe he has decided his future should lie elsewhere. We definitely know it isn't beyond Liverpool and Klopp to have had some discussions with the player or the player's rep.
That is not how it works.

if he wants more than Reece James money he isn’t taking 150k at LFC

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Once again, you and I are not in the room. We don't know what the actual offers are, or if the amount of money is why a deal is not being signed.
The Athletic is literally reporting that he is turning down those kinds of offers. If you want find me some examples of athletes, in Just about any spot, leaving their teams in their prime to take a haircut off what they are asking for. Please be my guest

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If Mount was satisfied with £150k per week he'd probably have a new contract already.

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What if he just doesn’t want to be at Chelsea anymore
Then he’ll probably go to Arsenal with the rest of the guys that they don’t want anymore

Yeah, that's what I think too. It might be he's burnt out. His play does point towards this.
I think he wants to get paid, and Chelsea doesn’t want to pay him because they don’t think he is worth it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A lot of our recent contracts have performance clauses like making UCL, so I could easily see that being the issue, where Mount wants his salary guaranteed and not as incentivized as others. He could have received that type of treatment after last season, but not with the form that he's in. Simon Johnson also mentioned things like image rights, bonuses, and length.

To me, it all reads that money isn't really the issue, but the structure is.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Here's the full quote about the Mount situation:
Q: Has Mount been offered a contract similar to Reece James and turned down? If not offered that, why not?:

Complex situation. Talk of Mount demanding £300,000 a week untrue. However, he has turned down some offers which are certainly in the region of what James has been given. Further complicated by image rights, bonuses and the length of contract etc. Mount's priority to stay at Chelsea but he doesn’t want to sign for eight years. This shouldn’t be mistaken for a lack of loyalty, but committing to seven or eight years at Stamford Bridge would take Mount into his 30s.

Talks are on hold until the end of the season. If no agreement is reached, he will be sold because Chelsea do not want to run the risk of him leaving as a free agent in 2024. There are a number of interested clubs who will be hoping to get him on the cheap.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm almost expecting Mount to get sold at this point. Not sure exactly where we are with FFP, but his sale will go along way in helping out if we need it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Once again, I don't think it's just about sheer dollars. I think there's an issue with how he sees his career going forward, and likely wanting to at least explore that avenue. With how Chelsea are right now, and the likely greater probability of another manager coming in at some point soon, I could see where if the money is in the ballpark, he might pick stability in manager and how he will be played over 7-8 year deal with more money.

there's too much smoke about him not taking the contract to really be about just the dollars. At the end of the day, who would actually pay him 300k if that's what you think this is about? Certainly not Liverpool.

Reactions: Peen

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Once again, I don't think it's just about sheer dollars. I think there's an issue with how he sees his career going forward, and likely wanting to at least explore that avenue. With how Chelsea are right now, and the likely greater probability of another manager coming in at some point soon, I could see where if the money is in the ballpark, he might pick stability in manager and how he will be played over 7-8 year deal with more money.

there's too much smoke about him not taking the contract to really be about just the dollars. At the end of the day, who would actually pay him 300k if that's what you think this is about? Certainly not Liverpool.
Even paying him 200k would be a problem for LFC

even if this isn’t gospel, let’s assume it’s close. 200K puts him 3rd highest on the team between Salah and Virgil/level with Thiago. That absolutely shatters the wage structure. You aren’t getting Mount for 1XX and frankly unless Mount has a terrible agent, he shouldn’t take that. “Stability“ or not he isn’t leaving Chelsea out of the goodness of his heart either

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Then what was your point?

Like, oh no, Arsenal might get a top young talent for free. That would totally suck!
…that there is a history of Chelsea players going to Arsenal after Chelsea have replaced them?

And, on a related note, a lot of the London based players tend to want to stay in London.

For example, LFC don’t sign a lot of players from London, and a lot of them don’t work out when they do. Most recent success story is probably Sturridge; and then you have a guy like Joe Cole on the opposite end of the spectrum

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I dont like that call but they missed the obvious one on Havertz so the net is at 0.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This. And if he’s not taking 150k at Chelsea he’s not taking it elsewhere. Especially outside of London

OK so hear me out, London is a more expensive city, so maybe outside of it he wouldn't need as much money

• Haha
Reactions: Savant

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Being valued, winning shit, feeling like a manager is going to grow your game, being part of a project, competition, could all be just as important to some players as maximizing your salary. Facilities, manager support, playing with your friends, also weigh in. Additionally, if you're a key cog, or the main guy to where you go, you can always get a new contract when you show that you're that important (which a lot of clubs, especially Liverpool are happy to reward performing players) to warrant your contribution.

We also aren't talking about a guy at the end of the line who will never get another deal, or another move, or what have you. If you take less now, but turn around and get more accolades, more stability, more achievements individually, and as a club, you likely will get more money accordingly. That's also to say, If I go from 80k a week to 170k a week, that's a hell of a raise. Especially if there's escalators or performance based incentives. It's not 250k a week, but I'm not on the street either.

If I'm Bobby Firmino, the stability of Liverpool is nice, but it's likely my last deal. I need to get paid what I can. If I'm Mason Mount, and I believe in myself, I could afford to take a bit less now, for more reward personally and potentially financially down the road.

For some players, and some agents, the dollars are all that matter. But I don't really know what's at play here. There's clearly some element of concern about the project, as he's likely getting offered a pretty good package to stay.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So according to Sport Bild, Bayern consider Gravenberch to be "unsellable", unlike Gnabry, Sane, Pavard, & Sabitzer whose departures this summer have not been ruled out.

Gnabry took a midweek trip to Paris back in January that pissed some of Bayern's management team off, with Salihamidzic criticizing him in the press when it happened. His performances in the key matches down the stretch could decide whether they hold onto him or if they'll take an acceptable bid for the NT wide-forward.

With Sane it's more about his intentions as he only has two seasons left on his contract. The club intend to sit down with him this summer to either get the ball rolling on an extension before he nears his final season or to move early & avoid another Alaba / Lewandowski situation.

Extension talks with Davies are currently on going, while Pavard's intentions are unclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad