Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bild is reporting that Arsenal & Tottenham really want to pry Brandt away from Dortmund before he extends his 2024-ending contract.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don’t want to hear about homegrown quota either. Sign a 40 year old third string keeper like City and United did. Scott Carson is taking up a homegrown spot at City. Granted they probably need his UCL winning experience in the squad (because he is the only player at City that has one), but there are much easier ways to get a homegrown spot than overcommitting to young players or getting foisted players that your rivals don’t want anymore.

If Morton comes on and he is like 7th choice? Sure but he’s not getting in front of a guy like Bajcetic and LFC still need upgrades elsewhere so I just don’t see what his path to minutes is; therefore I think he probably goes on loan again - he will get the Harry Wilson treatment. Trying to be realistic here.

Also, I could be wrong on this but @hatterson would probably know; I don’t think Morton is old enough to count as a homegrown slot? So not sure we’d get the benefit on that either.

TBH I don't really know the specifics of the homegrown stuff since it's never really mattered. It's easy enough for teams to get around that it's never been a real impediment to any moves teams really want to make.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
TBH I don't really know the specifics of the homegrown stuff since it's never really mattered. It's easy enough for teams to get around that it's never been a real impediment to any moves teams really want to make.
I never understood it either.

Especially to overpay for a Homegrown player.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean... in the past, homegrown did not matter. It should not matter if everyone's fit. However, it's also ignorant to say it doesn't not matter at all. There's 8 players who need to be 'homegrown' of the 25 registered. Homegrown is pretty weird, but it basically is having been on an English team 3 years prior to the age of 21. It doesn't really matter too much, but could now down the road with Brexit limits on more of the early age importation rules. That's how a kid like Bajectic can qualify for homegrown down the road. For the EPL. But now, without that option, there's less chance to import a player earlier and get them qualifying.

The CL has similar rules, but have A and B squad lists and instead of homegrown, it's more locally trained. 4 can be in other clubs in whatever country you're in from 15-21 (at least 3 years of that time), and 4 more in your teams system.

So, does it really matter? No, not really the most critical thing. You can find ways to work it through, and a lot of those players are going to be fringe guys. But with the Brexit work permit and age restriction stuff? It could become an issue.

Having a couple players who fit under the homegrown rules, in your team sheet, and hopefully playing significant minutes, gives your more options about transfers and making moves going forward.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
admittedly, a lot of the brexit fuss has to do with the lack of advantage in poaching kids at 16 and many of players coming being unlikely to qualify for a work permit that would have had it assured with the EU. With kids in Spain and a few other places being unable to sign pro contracts till 18, teams were able to poach top academy talent.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
On the subject of Mount given that we have literally no offense from midfield I wouldn't be complaining about signing him. The price however is a big deal given that our owners use large prices as a reason to not buy other players.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Szob is a talent I have grown fond of from afar. Would rather not see him end up at Chelsea. Especially with the current state of that club....

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Szob is a talent I have grown fond of from afar. Would rather not see him end up at Chelsea. Especially with the current state of that club....

Hey listen if I have to tune in every week to watch the train wreck Chelsea fans call football, we all have to suffer.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I would very much be on board with that. There's a connection with Vivell too, so I could buy it as legitimate. Probably means Mount is definitely gone.

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
On the subject of Mount given that we have literally no offense from midfield I wouldn't be complaining about signing him. The price however is a big deal given that our owners use large prices as a reason to not buy other players.
And that Mount doesn’t fix offense from midfield because he’s not a lot midfielde. He generates his offense from inside forward but he doesn’t have the pace that Mane or Salah has so he doesn’t work in that role for LFC either. Mount didn’t have to create width at Chelsea either; and he’d have to do that at LFC. signing him is a dumb idea

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
1. I would still easily take Mount, though he’s having a bad season (obviously), over Alexis Mac Allister, who I like but is getting overrated because he was the work horse in the Argentinian squad.

2. I will be extremely upset and frustrated (with both parties, Mase and the club) if he goes to Liverpool.

3. Chelsea not having set up their midfield around Mount doesn’t mean he’s not a midfielder, given that Chelsea’s assessment of talent has obviously been extremely subpar of late. He’s a 10, not an 8, but can play in a midfield trio.

4. Please Chelsea, for the love of god, stop buying everything that moves. Consolidate the team. Figure out what’s going on. No to Szobozlai, who I think is talented, but for f***s sake.

5. I want to enjoy watching Chelsea again. I miss it.

6. #5 has nothing to do with winning - I’ve watched Chelsea be bad - it has everything to do with the current squad having no identity. I don’t know how we went from an extremely likeable UCL winning team to this within two years. By end of season, our starting XI will have, what, four players left from that team? Jeezie Pete’s.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hey listen if I have to tune in every week to watch the train wreck Chelsea fans call football, we all have to suffer.
1. I would still easily take Mount, though he’s having a bad season (obviously), over Alexis Mac Allister, who I like but is getting overrated because he was the work horse in the Argentinian squad.

2. I will be extremely upset and frustrated (with both parties, Mase and the club) if he goes to Liverpool.

3. Chelsea not having set up their midfield around Mount doesn’t mean he’s not a midfielder, given that Chelsea’s assessment of talent has obviously been extremely subpar of late. He’s a 10, not an 8, but can play in a midfield trio.

4. Please Chelsea, for the love of god, stop buying everything that moves. Consolidate the team. Figure out what’s going on. No to Szobozlai, who I think is talented, but for f***s sake.

5. I want to enjoy watching Chelsea again. I miss it.

6. #5 has nothing to do with winning - I’ve watched Chelsea be bad - it has everything to do with the current squad having no identity. I don’t know how we went from an extremely likeable UCL winning team to this within two years. By end of season, our starting XI will have, what, four players left from that team? Jeezie Pete’s.
For LFC I’m taking Mac Allister over Mount all day. Mac Allister is a midfielder, Mount is not a midfielder.

I will be frustrated if LFC sign Mount because it’s repeating the same mistakes for them

If Mount is “not an 8”, he is not a solution for the LFC midfield. LFC midfield does not need another tweener. They have tweeners there and it’s obviously not worked. This is why the amount link is dumb; but it doesn’t mean Mount is bad he is just a horrible fit for LFC.

Szobozslai link is hilarious. It’s another guy that plays in the same position as everyone else they have signed. Maybe they just want to keep him and Nkunku together? It just shows that Chelsea, even with their revamped backroom have no idea why they are bad right now.

You can definitely have fun if the team isn’t great. I think this is lost a bit in the social media generation. You just need to see that there’s a plan and people give a shit. It’s not fun where there is no direction

Reactions: maclean

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I wouldn’t say likeable but they were fun to watch a few seasons ago. At least I remember being entertained by them

Reactions: luiginb

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Szo is no doubt a talent, but the guy needs to produce more than he is. He never reached double digits in either goals or assists. Leipzig scored 72 goals last year, and he accounted for 6+8 while playing almost all the games.
Even in Austria he never reached 10 goals (though he played in less games and was younger).

For a guy who's primary an offensive player (albeit from midfield), that's very disappointing. Especially since you can see the potential everytime he plays.

Either he needs some coaching or he's a risky target for a team struggling to score.

Reactions: les Habs

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

this would be Joe Cole transfer 2.0

granted (I don’t think) Mount isn’t smoking two packs a day, but it’s Chelsea foisting a guy they don’t want onto a poorly run LFC team after they know his best is past him, and there is no position for him at LFC

not optimistic about this at all. It doesn’t make sense

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Caicedo has been singing Brighton's praises since signing his extension last week. I wonder if we actually get another year out of him and avoid losing both Mac Allister and Caicedo in one window.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I like Thuram better than all of those. Le Fee is clearly better technically. Thuram is better than all L1 midfielders otherwise.
I'd take Thuram over Kone too but I'd understand someone thinking differently.
I like Camara but Thuram is way better. Few MFers can do that play there from breaking the lines to wonder one timed shot.
The other guy I forgot to mention that I really like is Ugochukwu btw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad