Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
El Neny signed a long-term contract to stay at Arsenal. Lol, guess he loves being a role player like Holding, but I like him so I don't mind this.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
i think they would be looking for a GK record fee

And I doubt they will get it.

Martinez will be 31 at about start of the next season. I didn't look what's the highest fee paid for a keeper that age or older, but I could see a top team who is in a win now mode could pay 30 millions (maybe even 40 millions if they can afford bigger risk) and hope to get 3, maybe 4 injury free top seasons out of Martinez.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
And I doubt they will get it.

Martinez will be 31 at about start of the next season. I didn't look what's the highest fee paid for a keeper that age or older, but I could see a top team who is in a win now mode could pay 30 millions (maybe even 40 millions if they can afford bigger risk) and hope to get 3, maybe 4 injury free top seasons out of Martinez.
Keepers have a longer shelf life. He should easily get to 4 years. Probably more given he barely played up until a couple of years ago.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Keepers have a longer shelf life. He should easily get to 4 years. Probably more given he barely played up until a couple of years ago.

They have, but which 30+ year old keeper has been injury free and constantly great (winning leagues, CLs and national team trophies) for 4-5 years past the age 30?

After 2017 when he was 31, for example Manuel Neuer has had arguably one great season in 2020. Like mentioned earlier, I just don't see any top team spending world record keeper transfer for Martinez.

Real, Barca, PSG, Inter, Milan, City, Liverpool, Arsenal seem set for the duration of Martinez's career. ManU probably won't think that Martinez would be that much of an upgrade compared to De Gea for that price. If they sell De Gea then maybe. Juve likely won't have CL and won't that kind of money anyway. Atletico could bid for Martinez if they sell Oblak (who is comparable transfer option for Martinez).

While Chelsea has spent money and likely will in the future, they seem to pay the really big bucks only for younger guys.

I just don't see any keeper record transfer option for Martinez. Again, he might end up with Bayern or Spurs, but hard to see a massive fee.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They have, but which 30+ year old keeper has been injury free and constantly great (winning leagues, CLs and national team trophies) for 4-5 years past the age 30?
Snip. Yeah I agree he doesnt have many options. Villa wont hand him over unless he really pushes for a move out.

Reactions: gary69

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

After 2017 when he was 31, for example Manuel Neuer has had arguably one great season in 2020. Like mentioned earlier, I just don't see any top team spending world record keeper transfer for Martinez.

Real, Barca, PSG, Inter, Milan, City, Liverpool, Arsenal seem set for the duration of Martinez's career. ManU probably won't think that Martinez would be that much of an upgrade compared to De Gea for that price. If they sell De Gea then maybe. Juve likely won't have CL and won't that kind of money anyway. Atletico could bid for Martinez if they sell Oblak (who is comparable transfer option for Martinez).

While Chelsea has spent money and likely will in the future, they seem to pay the really big bucks only for younger guys.

I just don't see any keeper record transfer option for Martinez. Again, he might end up with Bayern or Spurs, but hard to see a massive fee.

With Sommer on board, I doubt Bayern is looking for a short-term option. They're probably looking for a young keeper who could take the reins from Sommer in a few years.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Kepa was sold for that much when he was 24 and looking like the next big thing in goal. Emi is 30

To be fair he never looked like next big thing, just a good goalie but not even close to what De Gea was when he signed for United.

It was just a stupid fee by Chelsea

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kepa was also a release clause because we backed ourselves into a corner by not having a replacement lined up for Courtois and thinking we could actually bid high enough for Oblak.

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Martinez to LFC after Alisson demands a UCL move

Duh

Who am I kidding? They would stick with Kelleher

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's wild how bad they've been for each other. Embolo & Volland haven't seemed to have the same issues performing for Monaco, but Nübel looks worse and more uncertain than he ever did in germany.
Bolland has ups and downs. Embolo is OK but not great. Nubel is just terrible. He has the tools but boy his head is incredibly lacking.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
With Sommer on board, I doubt Bayern is looking for a short-term option. They're probably looking for a young keeper who could take the reins from Sommer in a few years.

I thought that was once the plan with Christian Fruchtl, and when it would have been a good chance and age for him to take over from Neuer, he ends up playing in Austria. It's not probably a good choice for any young keeper to be playing sparsely for 2 or 3 years. He will be taken over by others near the same age who play regularly during those years.

Not sure who Bayern will target, as Nubel doesn't seem to have a future with them after refusing to come back during the winter transfer window and hence the acquisition of Sommer. Nubel being 26 now, if he isn't a starter for them now, he will never be.

Maybe they will go with two experienced keepers for the next couple of years and wait if some 23-25 great keeper emerges and is available by then. Sven Ulrich has a year on his contract until end of 2023/24 season so it's not a pressing concern quite yet.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bolland has ups and downs. Embolo is OK but not great. Nubel is just terrible. He has the tools but boy his head is incredibly lacking.

Hasn't Embolo been a top 5 goal scorer in Ligue 1 this season? His form comes and goes, but when on form he's a really good forward.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hasn't Embolo been a top 5 goal scorer in Ligue 1 this season? His form comes and goes, but when on form he's a really good forward.
He's 7th and has played more than any other player in the top 20 (with two others at 24 games).

Reactions: cgf

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I know inner wage structure plays a significant factor, but given the board’s interest in reducing wages - Saka signing below 200k p/w does not bode well for Mount.

Even if he rediscovers form before they try again in the summer.. is he going to want more than that still?

Reactions: Blender
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad