Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Yup. That’s been by far the biggest problem. The board didn’t tend to back managers with how they wanted to play, they brought in big names a majority of the time. Or they’d get backed for one window, would get impatient and either fire the manager or buy big names.

And when they fired managers they hired bad and managers that completely contradicted what they were “building” prior to that manager. Also I know LvG gets a lot of hate for his time here, but he was doing exactly what a manager should’ve been doing for where the club was at the time. I think while the play style was pretty awful, he was in the process of setting the team up for longer term success, which they ultimately torched by hiring Mou right after him.

It’s nice to see Murtough has come in to replace Woodward and stayed completely out of the footballing stuff unlike Woodward. He’s let ETH pick the direction of the club athletically, brought in guys to work hand in hand with ETH and done a good job of doing making sure the club has a vision. Will it get us back to the top? Who knows but I’d rather fail this way than the way we did the last decade.

Richard Arnold replaced Woodward but yeah he's stayed out of the football side. John Murtough is the Football Director who was involved in choosing ten Hag.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tbh I don't think Campos is trying to resign him....

As for coming home Laporta would probably need to resign or make public excuses.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Tbh I don't think Campos is trying to resign him....

As for coming home Laporta would probably need to resign or make public excuses.
Yeah that’s what tell my exs too.

Nope not necessarily, just need Xavi to play mediator and both parties will come to an agreement. Laporta isn’t going anywhere.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not sure if you've followed PSG recently but PSG was close to resigning Messi a month ago.
Since then the team has struggled and Messi has looked uninterested most games. PSG also needs to trim their salaries for FFP.
There's a great push inside the club to get rid of Ney and Messi this summer.
So I don't know about your exes but yeah Campos is probably not interested, at least at that price.

As for Laporta, Messi has been very clear about being unhappy with him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bellingham would fill the Eriksen role at Utd.
Agreed plus they have the funds to do it and I expect some teams in the summer will follow Chelsea's 300 trillion Euro window with one of their own to basically "one-up" them. Jude for 110 million just seems like one of those perfect things.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not sure if you've followed PSG recently but PSG was close to resigning Messi a month ago.
Since then the team has struggled and Messi has looked uninterested most games. PSG also needs to trim their salaries for FFP.
There's a great push inside the club to get rid of Ney and Messi this summer.
So I don't know about your exes but yeah Campos is probably not interested, at least at that price.

As for Laporta, Messi has been very clear about being unhappy with him.
From the reports it says Messi had reservations first but it don’t matter as I think it’s better for both sides he goes.

Messi is clearly unhappy hence xavi needs to mend the relationship. It doesn’t need Laporte to leave and he wouldn’t nor should he. Lio doesn’t have many options anyway.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Has Bruno been playing on the wing for ETH? Cause if he's still at the 10, he very much has to do with Jude. Casemiro's a beast, but he can't be your only midfielder who defends.

Jude presses well, but he needs to be free to play up the pitch...not spend all of his energy charging back to defend when the initial press is beaten.

Bruno isn't going to be a long term fixture at RW. And Bellingham is closer to a box to box mid than a 10, which he doesn't even play at Dortmund. City and Liverpool don't even use 10's either so I don't see how this is going to factor into Bellingham's decision.

I think United are going to circle back to De Jong anyway to play alongside Casemiro.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bruno isn't going to be a long term fixture at RW. And Bellingham is closer to a box to box mid than a 10, which he doesn't even play at Dortmund. City and Liverpool don't even use 10's either so I don't see how this is going to factor into Bellingham's decision.

I think United are going to circle back to De Jong anyway to play alongside Casemiro.

BorussiaInc. has to play with two of Ozcan, Can, or Dahoud alongside Jude to free him up to charge forward. Sure he has the tools to be a box-to-boxer, but that's not what has drawn him so much praise or what a team will be paying 100M+ for. If you're going to ask him to play as an 8 with a proper 10 ahead of him, you could save yourself a ton of money and get someone else.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
To be fair, how he plays for Dortmund might be slightly different to how he plays elsewhere. He’s got enough ability and at his age, he could fit a lot of systems. I also think the projectable tools are what people are also paying for.

Either way, if you’re United or City you figure you have him for a decade to figure out how to build the side to get the best out of him.

Reactions: TheShape

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
To be fair, how he plays for Dortmund might be slightly different to how he plays elsewhere. He’s got enough ability and at his age, he could fit a lot of systems. I also think the projectable tools are what people are also paying for.

Either way, if you’re United or City you figure you have him for a decade to figure out how to build the side to get the best out of him.

My point was about how they use him to make the most of his abilities. Sure a team could use him differently, but if they want to get their money's worth, he needs to be free to push forward as the most attacking of a midfield trio. What makes him special isn't his work against the ball, it's what he can do moving forward.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I think that at the end of the day the strongest likelihood for Messi is resigning, much as it might look ill-fated atm. I don't buy MLS, he's too young and good still. Doubly so for the Saudi talk. Feels like too many barriers for Barca, though it's where I'd like to see him go. And if I put myself in his shoes, City just makes way too much sense, almost a no-brainer honestly.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think that at the end of the day the strongest likelihood for Messi is resigning, much as it might look ill-fated atm. I don't buy MLS, he's too young and good still. Doubly so for the Saudi talk. Feels like too many barriers for Barca, though it's where I'd like to see him go. And if I put myself in his shoes, City just makes way too much sense, almost a no-brainer honestly.
I wouldn't say he's too young, but definitely too good. That said, St. Louis is a brand new and exciting team, so I could see him being interested.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Boehly, go hand Messi a blank check.

Obviously I don't think money stinks to Messi, but he's always struck me as someone more swayed by other factors. For the move to PSG he had friends convincing him, plus many reasons to be unhappy with the situation at Barca. I don't see who would be coaxing him to go to Chelsea. Enzo? Enh. He just got there himself. At City there's obviously Pep, and there will have been a bit of seed planted by Aguero, and more Argentinian history there.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
My point was about how they use him to make the most of his abilities. Sure a team could use him differently, but if they want to get their money's worth, he needs to be free to push forward as the most attacking of a midfield trio. What makes him special isn't his work against the ball, it's what he can do moving forward.
To be fair, getting their monies worth is him playing a solid midfield for a decade. His being 19 is part of the deal.

I agree that he should have freedom to go forward, but at least for Liverpool that has to be balanced with pressing and defensive industry. Doesn’t mean he’s gotta kick dudes off the pitch or just defend, but Klopp won’t want him just to play offensively

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Eventually he will. But I think he’s got one more stop in Europe. Hell he might be going to Saudi Arabia. He will make more than he could ever scam on taxes.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Why? They’re getting a truck load of money for basically playing Sunday pickup soccer. Messi can still help a team, though his interest in doing anything when he doesn’t have the ball has basically sailed a while ago. And Ronaldo has priced himself out of anything beyond where he is.

They have never been ones to care about what morality issue there could be with who writes the checks. Maybe Messi slightly more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad