Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I like Mount but it’s weird to sign players when they checked out on their former team and gave no effort for six months. That’s basically what he’s doing.
I think checked out is unfair.

I really just wonder if he has cooked himself at a young age with his high intensity and sheer volume of games played.

Definitely right to be hesitant. I think the thought of this being a blip made sense in October. Now it’s been a while.

Looks very far removed from the 30 g+a, high intensity guy we saw earlier.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I really just wonder if he has cooked himself at a young age with his high intensity and sheer volume of games played.

Definitely right to be hesitant. I think the thought of this being a blip made sense in October. Now it’s been a while.

I just (respectfully) don’t think he has a position. He’s obviously not a midfielder and he’s obviously not a forward. LFC already have Elliott, Carvalho and (arguably) Jones with that problem. Mount comes to LFC and he is in the same conundrum he is at Chelsea.

Reactions: luiginb

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If he has legs and want to, Klopp will figure it out.

I think for him some of the WC is the problem. He’s young and how to manage the season with that in the middle is hard for most, none the less someone who already has been used so much. Then all the new manager stuff.

I don’t think just Jude is enough, but he solves a lot of problems and pushes everyone down a notch.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

He's 24 lol cooked himself? Its probably a contract problem or off the field life issue.

More realistically its probably because he has poor coach.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He's 24 lol cooked himself? Its probably a contract problem or off the field life issue.

He was looking terrible under Tuchel this year as well. I put it up to exhaustion because he was playing every minute of every game for club and country, but now he's been getting rested and he still looks done.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He was looking terrible under Tuchel this year as well. I put it up to exhaustion because he was playing every minute of every game for club and country, but now he's been getting rested and he still looks done.
If he’s in fact done… he never started lol. Tuchel also sucks but you know that

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If he has legs and want to, Klopp will figure it out.

I think for him some of the WC is the problem. He’s young and how to manage the season with that in the middle is hard for most, none the less someone who already has been used so much. Then all the new manager stuff.

I don’t think just Jude is enough, but he solves a lot of problems and pushes everyone down a notch.
That arrogant approach in the transfer market has gotten us into problems before. With what Mount will cost they can’t be teenage girls and think they can fix the bad boyfriend. It’s too costly a risk. There are other options

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Mount is a full English international at 24. He’s likely going to cost 35-40. If the rumble about him not being willing to resign is true. That’s a gamble worth taking no matter the budget.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Mount is a full English international at 24. He’s likely going to cost 35-40. If the rumble about him not being willing to resign is true. That’s a gamble worth taking no matter the budget.
I think you can easily expect his price to be double that. He's not leaving for Gibbs White money.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If he says he isn’t gonna resign, and they’re in a need to move situation, the price is not going to be absurd. Even at 45-50, it’s a gamble worth taking.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
English international shouldn't be an argument.
Would you say signing Fofana, Ndombele or Guendouzi is a must because they're French internationals?
And to be clear it's harder to play for the french NT than English.
The question is whether he'd be a good fit.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Temporary burnout for Mount is totally possible. I think Rashford had similar stuff going on.

He broke in young and played a billion minutes at a high level, his body may not have been ready to deal with that and needs time to adjust.

Rashford last year had times where he got tons of rest and still didn’t look good. Sometimes players in that situation need some sort of mental reset to get things back on track.

Reactions: Peen

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
That arrogant approach in the transfer market has gotten us into problems before. With what Mount will cost they can’t be teenage girls and think they can fix the bad boyfriend. It’s too costly a risk. There are other options
Will it be cost prohibitive? He’s expiring next summer. Then again, Palace is willing to spend 50 on Gallagher and Mount has previously shown a level so far above Gallagher.

I don’t think Mount is a guy you worry about fit with. When he was on, he was so good.

The question really has to be his fitness. Posted a comparison to Oscar recently

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Temporary burnout for Mount is totally possible. I think Rashford had similar stuff going on.

He broke in young and played a billion minutes at a high level, his body may not have been ready to deal with that and needs time to adjust.

Rashford last year had times where he got tons of rest and still didn’t look good. Sometimes players in that situation need some sort of mental reset to get things back on track.
Will it be cost prohibitive? He’s expiring next summer. Then again, Palace is willing to spend 50 on Gallagher and Mount has previously shown a level so far above Gallagher.

I don’t think Mount is a guy you worry about fit with. When he was on, he was so good.

The question really has to be his fitness. Posted a comparison to Oscar recently
I don’t think Mount is a bad player is just don’t like the team fit at LFC. He doesn’t have a position. Especially if LFC switch formations to a double pivot. He’s not a striker (duh), he’s not a winger (he is too slow for a Klopp winger), he’s certainly not a midfielder (if he was Chelsea would not be letting him go); so what is he? I think Chelsea have figured this out. This is the same problem that LFC have with Harvey Elliott, but Harvey wouldn’t be on 200k next season.

I’m pretty skeptical when teams don’t want to pay their own (especially homegrown) talent. And this is a guy who is a two time player of the season and they just paid a bazillion dollars to replace him. That is very fishy to me. I’m not interested in this transfer at all.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I don’t think Mount is a bad player is just don’t like the team fit at LFC. He doesn’t have a position. Especially if LFC switch formations to a double pivot. He’s not a striker (duh), he’s not a winger (he is too slow for a Klopp winger), he’s certainly not a midfielder (if he was Chelsea would not be letting him go); so what is he? I think Chelsea have figured this out. This is the same problem that LFC have with Harvey Elliott, but Harvey wouldn’t be on 200k next season.

I’m pretty skeptical when teams don’t want to pay their own (especially homegrown) talent. And this is a guy who is a two time player of the season and they just paid a bazillion dollars to replace him. That is very fishy to me. I’m not interested in this transfer at all.
I think in Mount’s estimation, he feels he is an attacking 8 in a 4-3-3.

Has he ever put up consistent performances in that role? No. Have they surrounded him with the right players for him to have success in that role? No.

I also don’t see it happening. If we aren’t meeting his wage demands, why would Liverpool destroy their wage structure for an out of form question mark.

But since the new owners have come in, they have voiced through the media that they hate that there was no squad planning and that the regimes before let players enter the final years of their deals with no leverage.

So something has to give, and in the short term

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Has he ever put up consistent performances in that role? No. Have they surrounded him with the right players for him to have success in that role? No.

I also don’t see it happening. If we aren’t meeting his wage demands, why would Liverpool destroy their wage structure for an out of form question mark.

But since the new owners have come in, they have voiced through the media that they hate that there was no squad planning and that the regimes before let players enter the final years of their deals with no leverage.

With what we've been hearing about his wage demands we have to sell Mount this summer. I like Mount, but he's not playing like a player deserving of star player wages and even at his best I don't think he controlled the game enough to earn them either.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Right - and who is the last player that Chelsea didn’t want to pay that LFC did? Joe Cole? Not saying Mount is Cole at all, but again at you said he is inconsistent at the position that he would have to play at LFC; and again LFC may be transitioning away from 433 themselves.

you’ve also hit the nail on the head with the wage structure point. It doesn’t make sense. LFC also targeting Bellingham and Matheus Nunes according to the most reliable sources, and Bajcetic is emerging in a BIG way. Are those the guys to get the best out of Mount? Mount hasn’t been the guy to get the best out of Bellingham in the England squad so not sure why it would make any more sense here. And I don't Know why LFC, if no Bellingham ( who is 100% going to Utd ) would decide let’s build the midfield around Mount, who again hasn’t shown he is a midfielder. Mounts best move would probably be to somewhere like Tottenham (if Conte stays…lol…nevermind) or somewhere that plays a back five and he can operate in on of the inside forward positions (not box to box in a double pivot) which is basically where he’s done his best work at Chelsea.

Reactions: Peen

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Not saying it's the case with Mount, but top-level athletes burning out in their mid-20s isn't exactly unheard of :dunno:

That's why I can't get too mad at Draxler for wasting his potential. Being as obsessed as rapey-Ronaldo isn't healthy and trying to match that can destroy a person's mentality.

Getting rested in-season isn't the kind of rest he needs to reset if it's more mental burnout than physical. That's the kind of thing that takes an offseason to decompress.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
English international shouldn't be an argument.
Would you say signing Fofana, Ndombele or Guendouzi is a must because they're French internationals?
And to be clear it's harder to play for the french NT than English.
The question is whether he'd be a good fit.
For what it’s worth, he plays for England and plays a good bit for them(not sure you can say that for the any of your comparisons beyond some joke friendlies [has Fofana even debuted for the full team?]), and putting players together who likely are in the same system and get along with others in that program is something Liverpool are known to do. They also likely have built some relationships with the player to where if he’s looking to go, Liverpool are one of the teams he likely would consider. England are not France who we all know could do 2 or 3 sides, but England are no mugs of late either. They’re certainly blessed with some choice in the position Mount plays.

That of course is not the only reason to go buy him, but he’s a quality player.

I certainly concede the fit and where he plays. But I would trust Klopp to know what to do with him.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Liverpool not paying wages isn’t exactly everything to a move either. For one, they will pay, but accordingly. He’s not walking in making Salah wages. He’s likely behind VVD and in the ballpark of Henderson. But wages aren’t everything. Having stability of a manger, system, and a team that wants you means a lot when we’re not talking about him going from tons of money to barely earning.

I really don’t think Chelsea not paying him what he wants is all of it. He likely wants high wages, but at this stage in his contract, he, like many others in the same situation are going to look at their options before committing. Why wouldn’t you? 6 months from now he can go wherever for a premium.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
ManU & Chelsea will bid for him, but I think it's you or Real for Jude.
Absolutely not. It’ll be United with their Qatar money. They almost got him when he went to Dortmund so they’ve done the leg work with the family already. They’ll have UCL, they’ll outbid everyone else. It’s happening. The only bigger guarantee is going to be when people pretend to be surprised about it

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Absolutely not. It’ll be United with their Qatar money. They almost got him when he went to Dortmund so they’ve done the leg work with the family already. They’ll have UCL, they’ll outbid everyone else. It’s happening. The only bigger guarantee is going to be when people pretend to be surprised about it

The player needs to be interested and from the german reporting, Jude seems to be much more interested in Klopp or the Bernabeu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad