Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
There's a release clause of some sort.

But clearly, some back room shenanigans' that they knew about it, and got it over the line before anyone else. Nothing new, and nothing other clubs don't do. Liverpool are just usually better at it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Davies agent confirms that other clubs have made contact, but talks are very preliminary as Bayern remains his priority at the moment...although with Raphael joining Mazraoui, and Cancelo's clause expected to be triggered, selling Davies for a monster offer could make a lot of sense for FC Hollywood.

Kicker is reiterating that the pillpushers are expected to lose Tah, Diaby, & Frimpong this summer. With Amiri refusing to extend his 2024 ending contract, Azmoun and Demirbay are also said to be looking for an exit.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
As a long-time Mac Allister enthusiast and a short-time Mac Allister skeptic, he is an absolute snag if the fee numbers are accurate. I've been an enthusiast for him as a midfield role player/engine, skeptic for him as a creative spark. 35m is amazing for the former - I was worried about Chelsea stumping 70m hoping for the latter.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Davies agent confirms that other clubs have made contact, but talks are very preliminary as Bayern remains his priority at the moment...although with Raphael joining Mazraoui, and Cancelo's clause expected to be triggered, selling Davies for a monster offer could make a lot of sense for FC Hollywood.

Kicker is reiterating that the pillpushers are expected to lose Tah, Diaby, & Frimpong this summer. With Amiri refusing to extend his 2024 ending contract, Azmoun and Demirbay are also said to be looking for an exit.
Honestly I’d love for all of Tah, Diaby, and Frimpong at United. We will even send Sancho back!

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sooo, did we ever find out what black magic Liverpool employed to get Mac Allister for what like half of what it sounded like he was going to cost?
Jorg Schmadkte told them a great knock knock joke. Great sense of humor him.

But seriously no one really knows. Apparently there was a release clause so either the higher figures were lousy reporting or there was something weird like the release clause was lower for teams not in UCL (or something like that) but no one really knows for sure.

At 35m you can’t complain about the fee especially after was thrown around last window

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
For those wondering about Messi in MLS, it's as if the owners of an ECHL teams had deep enough pockets, and the creativity/contacts to make a big financial package, to bring Sidney Crosby with the Idaho Steelheads for 2 years.
coming to the soccer board to explain soccer to the soccer board using hockey analogies is an extremely funny and strange angle

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
For those wondering about Messi in MLS, it's as if the owners of an ECHL teams had deep enough pockets, and the creativity/contacts to make a big financial package, to bring Sidney Crosby with the Idaho Steelheads for 2 years.
1 that’s not true at all

2. Funny approach on a soccer board.

With Messi going to the MLS, are these boards going to be like during the World Cup for a while?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Honestly I’d love for all of Tah, Diaby, and Frimpong at United. We will even send Sancho back!

It'll be interesting to see how Tah responds next season. He's been annoyingly good this season and still has all of the talent in the world.

But it's just impossible to predict if he'll rise to the challenge or just check out mentally once he secures that EPL-money :dunno:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It'll be interesting to see how Tah responds next season. He's been annoyingly good this season and still has all of the talent in the world.

But it's just impossible to predict if he'll rise to the challenge or just check out mentally once he secures that EPL-money :dunno:
I think ideally he ends up as our 4th best CB with potential to rise to that 3rd (or possibly even starting) spot. Basically the way I see our CB situation should be Lisandro-new CB with Varane and Tah (or another new CB) rotating in.

Frimpong obviously we all see why he’d work.

Diaby I know can play the right side but thinking about it more I’m pretty sure he’s better on the left. Rolling Rashford at 9, Diaby at LW and Antony at RW would be terrifying for counters.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think ideally he ends up as our 4th best CB with potential to rise to that 3rd (or possibly even starting) spot. Basically the way I see our CB situation should be Lisandro-new CB with Varane and Tah (or another new CB) rotating in.

Frimpong obviously we all see why he’d work.

Diaby I know can play the right side but thinking about it more I’m pretty sure he’s better on the left. Rolling Rashford at 9, Diaby at LW and Antony at RW would be terrifying for counters.

Tah's tricky because if he's focused he's good enough for a top team to lean on him heavily...and if he's playing well, I think he needs that kind of responsibility to stay checked in.

But he's just not reliable enough to bank on him playing well, so you can't really rely on him bearing that kind of responsibility. Which is problematic because I fear he'd check out mentally as a 3rd/4th CB.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
There's a release clause of some sort.

But clearly, some back room shenanigans' that they knew about it, and got it over the line before anyone else. Nothing new, and nothing other clubs don't do. Liverpool are just usually better at it.
Brighton should have just pretended there wasn't a release clause a la Suarez

Reactions: KJS14 and S E P H

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Anyone got cliff notes in this? I missed something
He was under contract with Shakhtar. FIFA let players in Ukraine or Russia to suspend their contracts with local clubs to go play elsewhere. Basically to let them continue their careers in a place that isn't at war.

His contract was apparently set to expire at the end of 2023 and FIFA recently announced that the rule change to let players basically pick their own loan elsewhere would be extended through 2024.

So theoretically Spurs could sign him on "loan" now and then just sign him as a free since his Shakhtar contract would be up. Shakhtar I think are trying to sue that the contract should be tolled so they still have a year and a half of his services. Not so much to force him to play there, but rather to be able to actually sell him instead of losing him on a free.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Faux pas from Laporta, not the first one.

Whoever expects Messi to take many games off or be subbed after 60 mins doesn't know Messi.

You guys are kidding yourself if you don't think that Messi will start 9 out 10 matches, averaging 80 min or so per match, once things get going and barring injury. He'll miss most turf games like the Henry's Beckham's, Zlatan's did, but that's it.

I could see it but I could also see a mature Messi not really caring. Young Messi always wanted to play and made a big stink when not playing. Im unsure either way tbh.

Yeah, it’s tough to say. Based on his own words and his decision to go to MLS, it does sound like he’s looking to wind things down. That said, as @luiginb noted, that wouldn’t be very Messi. I do agree with the turf point though.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Sooo, did we ever find out what black magic Liverpool employed to get Mac Allister for what like half of what it sounded like he was going to cost?

I’ve heard multiple times it’s a low release clause. He negotiated the deal just prior to the World Cup and Brighton likely had to make some concessions. Take the World Cup out of it, the clause was probably still a bit low, but not as low as it now seems post World Cup. Regardless, Brighton still win considering what they paid for him and it’s more of a blip when you look at the work they’ve done in recent years. Bloom and the other guy (I forget his name) have been doing a great job. I think they just need to be careful not to go overboard with the sales in a short window of time, but if the Caicedo sage is anything to go by that seems to be considered.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Yeah, it’s tough to say. Based on his own words and his decision to go to MLS, it does sound like he’s looking to wind things down. That said, as @luiginb noted, that wouldn’t be very Messi. I do agree with the turf point though.

We just haven't seen that with most other stars that came over and stayed relatively injury-free. Henry, Zlatan, Beckham, Villa etc. They all played a lot and contributed well. Guys like Gerrard and Lampard had injury issues. Even Pirlo played a good amount, he just sucked. Messi is going to play a lot. This won't be some part time gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad