Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You really think he has that kind of pull in America?
USA sold out football stadiums for him with Argentina and Barcelona routinely. In friendlies. People will want to go to say they did if nothing else

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Whether Messi goes to Barca or not is one thing, but I think it’s a mistake if he does go to MLS for this season

In 2 years time people will be watching the Saudi league over the EPL :D

All kidding aside, speak for yourself.

That is exactly what the Saudis are counting on...

Well they can count me out then. Besides, I think they’re counting on merging the two leagues.

Let's do this.

Yeah, let’s. How much?

Madrid can f*** off

Best post in the thread. So good in fact, the dude who hates your frisbee can f*** off as well!

We can add Messi to the collection of GOATs I’ve seen play cause for sure I’ll see him now. Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, KD, Kershaw, Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, Aaron Donald, Messi, Milner

Wait, you live in LA and you haven’t seen Riqui yet? TF?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
USA sold out football stadiums for him with Argentina and Barcelona routinely. In friendlies. People will want to go to say they did if nothing else

Who did those teams play? Not saying he can't draw but are their that many Argentinians in the US that would go in each city? Sure there's a lot of Spanish people that are probably Barcelona fans around the country and a ton of people who go to say they did but 60k plus all over the country? What did Beckham do when he came, I can't remember the increase in attendance.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Who did those teams play? Not saying he can't draw but are their that many Argentinians in the US that would go in each city? Sure there's a lot of Spanish people that are probably Barcelona fans around the country and a ton of people who go to say they did but 60k plus all over the country? What did Beckham do when he came, I can't remember the increase in attendance.

They played Bolivia in Seattle and drew 45k. Venezuela in Boston for 60k. Panama in Chicago 55k, Chile in SF and drew 70k. They also played El Salvador in DC a long time ago and drew 55k. So the question if he comes to the US is more along the lines of who should promote this to make sure all the teams get the most out of this.

If the teams think his first time around the country that it's a good idea to have Messi play in their 18-25k seat stadium they are absolutely crazy. Should be aiming much higher.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Does he belong on the tax evasion list instead?

- Leo Messi
- Cristiano Ronaldo
- Donaldinho Trump
- Martha Stewart
- OJ Simpson
Almost witty.

What I saw in Chicago was remarkable.

• Haha
Reactions: S E P H

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It didn’t matter who they played. They come to see Messi. Like Barcelona played Red Bull New York at Where the Jets/Giants played and that sold out.

I mean I looked at the closest local MLS teams to see when Messi when coming to town today. Granted I was bored; and might just be easier to go to FLL, but this stuff matters

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Violent crime can happen anywhere and a city that is more prone to violent crime means there is a higher chance of that happening anywhere in the city. It ain't just shootings, there are robberies, GTA, and other things. I love Chicago and there is a chance I might move there down the road (based on where I get accepted for my internship). I agree with a lot of your points, but that city can do so much better in cleaning it up, but it seems the politicians care about gathering votes more than actually helping with the segregation issues, crime, etc.

Every news channel is terribad, especially awful biased ones like Fox, CNN, or MSNBC, when Trump was in office you'd think the USA was worse than Somalia if you tuned in my boi Chris Cuomo lol.

Isolated incidents can happen anywhere, but the bolded isn't actually true. Don't believe me, look through the neighborhood by neighborhood breakdowns for yourself.

I did that exercise last summer because my ex didn't want to move "to the southside". If you do, you'll see that excluding those high-violence neighborhoods Chicago is quite safe...and actually safer than rural america.

Chicago's biggest problem is not violence...at least if you're white enough not to need to worry about the CPD...it's segregation and allowing those neglected neighborhoods just to rot away if they're not close enough to downtown to be gentrified.

EDIT:
It also doesn't help that anyone with a semi-functional car can bring guns up from Indiana...but the violence that happens because of Indianan weapons is a symptom of neglect, rather than the root cause of those high-crime neighborhoods.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Messi isn’t just an Argentinian draw.

Hopefully Messi is traveling with Miami by July 15

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean it's the same as when MJ was in the league I'm sure. I'm sure plenty of people who barely followed basketball would pay to see when he was in town just to say they got to see MJ play. The Rapids suck absolute ass right now but bet your ass I'm paying to see them play Miami.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
We can add Messi to the collection of GOATs I’ve seen play cause for sure I’ll see him now. Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, KD, Kershaw, Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, Aaron Donald, Messi, Milner
I saw Tyler Myers and Jonathan Cheechoo. Hell, Cheechoo was the alternate for my home team.
Does that count? :D

BTW, Saudis picking up these players then choosing offhandedly which club the player goes to...?
That's some next level stuff. It's like sorting out player on the playground behind my building when we were kids, trying to make 3-4 team of equal value.

Real life football manager. With admin rights.

• Haha
Reactions: maclean and luiginb

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Isolated incidents can happen anywhere, but the bolded isn't actually true. Don't believe me, look through the neighborhood by neighborhood breakdowns for yourself.

I did that exercise last summer because my ex didn't want to move "to the southside". If you do, you'll see that excluding those high-violence neighborhoods Chicago is quite safe...and actually safer than rural america.

Chicago's biggest problem is not violence...at least if you're white enough not to need to worry about the CPD...it's segregation and allowing those neglected neighborhoods just to rot away if they're not close enough to downtown to be gentrified.

EDIT:
It also doesn't help that anyone with a semi-functional car can bring guns up from Indiana...but the violence that happens because of Indianan weapons is a symptom of neglect, rather than the root cause of those high-crime neighborhoods.
Having spent a ton of time in DC, Richmond and Baltimore, it’s also about being aware and not putting yourself in stupid situations. You can’t prevent everything, but knowing, hey don’t park here, or when it gets dark, I don’t stop at this place, or what have you, eliminates 95% or anything to worry about. Baltimore is probably the worst, because bad shit happens in the good areas, but even that I don’t feel unsafe.

Reactions: cgf

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Having spent a ton of time in DC, Richmond and Baltimore, it’s also about being aware and not putting yourself in stupid situations. You can’t prevent everything, but knowing, hey don’t park here, or when it gets dark, I don’t stop at this place, or what have you, eliminates 95% or anything to worry about. Baltimore is probably the worst, because bad shit happens in the good areas, but even that I don’t feel unsafe.
Don’t make a wrong turn on the way to Camden Yards or you are going to have a bad time

Also Romano says Alexis is only 35m

Think we get an official announcement today or tomorrow

Alphabetically LFC still in on Gabri V, Gravenberch, Lavia, Kone and Thuram

Lot of noise around the French ones. If Alexis was only 35, May as well go in for Caicedo now too

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It didn’t matter who they played. They come to see Messi. Like Barcelona played Red Bull New York at Where the Jets/Giants played and that sold out.

I mean I looked at the closest local MLS teams to see when Messi when coming to town today. Granted I was bored; and might just be easier to go to FLL, but this stuff matters

If Argentina is playing El Salvador I would say a lot of people are there to see Messi but a lot are there to see El Salvador as well. There's a lot more Central Americans living in the US than from most South American countries especially Argentina. So who they play is somewhat important as some of these countries can sell many tickets no matter who the marquee name is. Barcelona is a huge draw in the US with or without Messi, I'm sure they would have sold out regardless.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
For the initial go round, he will likely draw much higher attendance than normal.

60-70k for cities might push it, but most clubs will sell 30-35 without a problem.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
BBC, SSN and others reporting the fee as 55 million. Typo from Romano or his source?
I’m going to choose to believe Romano because he is telling me what he wants to hear. But I’m all seriousness we’ve been hearing from the Argentina sources (and Romano) it’s less than 55 (closer to 40) for a couple of days now

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I’m going to choose to believe Romano because he is telling me what he wants to hear. But I’m all seriousness we’ve been hearing from the Argentina sources (and Romano) it’s less than 55 (closer to 40) for a couple of days now

Is there really a release clause in his contract? If it's so then yes I can see the lower price but if not I would assume the low price is before add ons. You guys also got Gakpo like 10M less than what was suggested so whoever is in charge of deals is getting good value.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Is there really a release clause in his contract? If it's so then yes I can see the lower price but if not I would assume the low price is before add ons. You guys also got Gakpo like 10M less than what was suggested so whoever is in charge of deals is getting good value.
Yeah maybe BMG’s new director gives his dad a discount on Manu Kone now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad