Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out, but I doubt the PGA relinquished a controlling share. Wonder what it means for those nine-figure contracts some of those guys signed too.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
“Successful” is a sliding scale. The fact that it exists and is being talked about is qualified success because no one is talking the regime in and of itself. They have no intent of making money or even siphoning viewers.

Is it really successful? People are talking about the Saudi's in a different context, but are they talking about the Saudi's atrocities any less?

With the increased talk about SA in all contexts, I feel like we might actually be discussing the regime's hideousness more than we were before.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I will have to read about the merger, but I wonder what it means. Like, are the Saudis gaining a controlling interest in PGA?
Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out, but I doubt the PGA relinquished a controlling share. Wonder what it means for those nine-figure contracts some of those guys signed too.

According to the Times article I read it sounds more like the PIF just bought out the PGA tour, likely with massive offers to the higher ups.

I can't imagine that players who turned down offers from LIV are very happy about the PGA doing this and likely this will lead to massive backlash against the PGA. The PGAs entire premise to it's golfers was that it's immoral to take Saudi cash and then the execs turned around the sold out to the Saudis.

Rory McIlroy probably turned down $250 million or more to stay with the PGA tour and now none of that matters. He could have easily taken the money, laughed about it for a year and then been in the exact same spot.

Under the terms of the tentative agreement announced on Tuesday, the Saudi wealth fund, known as the Public Investment Fund, will at first be the exclusive investor in the blended operation, along with the established tours and LIV. Monahan is expected to be the new group’s chief executive, with Yasir al-Rumayyan, the wealth fund’s governor, installed as its chairman.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Is it really successful? People are talking about the Saudi's in a different context, but are they talking about the Saudi's atrocities any less?

With the increased talk about SA in all contexts, I feel like we might actually be discussing the regime's hideousness more than we were before.
Yes.

And where they’re talking about it is more impactful. In the context of premier sporting events, that’s a lot more relevant soft power to sanitize their image and enter the cultural arena than some commodities trader on CNBC or whatever.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
According to the Times article I read it sounds more like the PIF just bought out the PGA tour, likely with massive offers to the higher ups.

I can't imagine that players who turned down offers from LIV are very happy about the PGA doing this and likely this will lead to massive backlash against the PGA. The PGAs entire premise to it's golfers was that it's immoral to take Saudi cash and then the execs turned around the sold out to the Saudis.

Rory McIlroy probably turned down $250 million or more to stay with the PGA tour and now none of that matters. He could have easily taken the money, laughed about it for a year and then been in the exact same spot.

I do respect him for doing it do. Not respecting the PGA too much for selling HIM out though.

Anyway, I wonder if that will have any repercussion on footy. Like, what is their play? Will they fund Perez's Super League or something crazy like that?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

That’s wild lol. From litigating to total capitulation. I don’t get it. The PGA had more leverage and decided to become a junior partner?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
That’s wild lol. From litigating to total capitulation. I don’t get it. The PGA had more leverage and decided to become a junior partner?

I read some more and it seems maybe they have the majority of shares, but the PIF has a bunch of rights of first refusal around current and future investment.

Probably what happened is the PGA board got roughly eleventy bajillion dollars to drop all the lawsuits and merge.

It's also especially hilarious that the PIF was trying to claim in courts that they shouldn't be part of any lawsuit between the PGA and LIV because they were just a random investor and didn't have any controlling ability. And then suddenly the merger happens and the head of the PGA gets installed on PGAs board and is the chairman of the new venture :laugh:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I read some more and it seems maybe they have the majority of shares, but the PIF has a bunch of rights of first refusal around current and future investment.

Probably what happened is the PGA board got roughly eleventy bajillion dollars to drop all the lawsuits and merge.

It's also especially hilarious that the PIF was trying to claim in courts that they shouldn't be part of any lawsuit between the PGA and LIV because they were just a random investor and didn't have any controlling ability. And then suddenly the merger happens and the head of the PGA gets installed on PGAs board and is the chairman of the new venture :laugh:
100%. Jay Monahan is Scrooge McDuck swimming in a gold vault right now the same way he was castigating the defectors for.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Messi hasnt gone there yet. IT would be his choice not a team selling. Same for Benz. Last pay days. Come on I cant spend my entire time here spoon feeding you this :)
I mean, Madrid clearly wanted to keep Benzema and even offered him a renewal. Yes, Benzema chose money. Does not mean Benz was expendable. Also does not mean they won't go after players with contract and pay the ridiculous release clauses (a guy like Vini has one over 1B). Not saying they necessarily will, but they certainly could.

I think you are underestimating the threat they can be.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean, Madrid clearly wanted to keep Benzema and even offered him a renewal. Yes, Benzema chose money. Does not mean Benz was expendable. Also does not mean they won't go after players with contract and pay the ridiculous release clauses (a guy like Vini has one over 1B). Not saying they necessarily will, but they certainly could.

Benz wants to go after an injury riddled year and being what 35/36? Hardly in his prime. If he was 30 he would’ve laughed in their faces.

Vini ain’t leaving lol

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes.

And where they’re talking about it is more impactful. In the context of premier sporting events, that’s a lot more relevant soft power to sanitize their image and enter the cultural arena than some commodities trader on CNBC or whatever.

I don't feel like zdf or the Berliner Zeitung has criticized the Saudi's any less than they did before this or the golf thing, but that's purely anecdotal.

They do talk about the saudi's in new contexts, but I need to see some data about a decrease in negative news coverage.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Watching the RPL & Chinese leagues fail to buy their way into the elite could definitely breed some complacency about this threat. Though I too suspect it will suffer a similar fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad