Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Those who spoke out will continue to do so. The masses that didn’t, well nothings changed. This is strictly for their own citizens.
No, it is not.

There has been a concerted effort on their part in the last 5-10 years to sportswash their international image. This is nothing but another step on that journey because they want the 2030 World Cup.

They will be going full LIV on football. Now, will it be successful? Just like LIV, most likely not, but they still will try.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
First Ugarte, now this, Chelsea really trying to PR hard that they're not money-burners anymore, as if either of these cases prove that lol
This one aligns with their winter activity. They were willing to pay big fees but weren't willing to pay above and beyond with wages. Most of their new players are on long but reasonable wages, while Kante makes almost £300,000/week and has only made 51 appearances in 2 years.

With Ugarte it was a fee and wage thing, they were never offering the wages PSG did but it seems they wouldn't push the fee either I guess.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
No, it is not.

There has been a concerted effort on their part in the last 5-10 years to sportswash their international image. This is nothing but another step on that journey because they want the 2030 World Cup.

They will be going full LIV on football. Now, will it be successful? Just like LIV, most likely not, but they still will try.
“Successful” is a sliding scale. The fact that it exists and is being talked about is qualified success because no one is talking the regime in and of itself. They have no intent of making money or even siphoning viewers.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This one aligns with their winter activity. They were willing to pay big fees but weren't willing to pay above and beyond with wages. Most of their new players are on long but reasonable wages, while Kante makes almost £300,000/week and has only made 51 appearances in 2 years.

With Ugarte it was a fee and wage thing, they were never offering the wages PSG did but it seems they wouldn't push the fee either I guess.

My comment is more about the narrative I see being pushed around it. The actions themselves make sense and I agree are nothing different than what Chelsea was doing before. Which is why it seems artificial to hear it being announced like "chelsea say NO!" "adamant!"

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Oh sure. I was responding to the "strictly" comment. That's not the main goal, that's a nice bonus.
I don’t think that is even a sliver of the equation honestly. It’s the same with that dumbass city, NEOM, they’re building. They’re literally expropriating land from their own citizens to build a “futuristic” city almost purely for international consumption. “New king, new kingdom” and all that kind of bullshit.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
“Successful” is a sliding scale. The fact that it exists and is being talked about is qualified success because no one is talking the regime in and of itself. They have no intent of making money or even siphoning viewers.
I do think they have an intent on making money in some sense with some of these projects. They have more money than they know what to do with, but their Allah given resource of oil is only finite. At some point, there is a goal to use some of the wealth to turn a future profit. I think it's just a long, LONG, term goal.

With this project, you juice the league, the advertisers, the fees to buy the clubs, and down the road, maybe it's closer to a sustainability model. I think you're more likely to see an attempt with that with the LIV tour, but whether or not it can be pulled off is the question.

And like you said above, even if they don't pull that off, they can get enough prestige / attention to help themselves to be leaders of the Middle East and with international community stuff.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
No, it is not.

It isn’t. They couldn’t care less about their image. Like I said in my previous post this is a political strategy implemented by MBS since he became crown prince. Pivoting away from the previous religious order.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They do care about their image. they have more money than they could ever spend, but if top leaders don't want to be seen with them because they kill journos or brutalize citizens it does impact them. If companies can't come to open offices or spend money because the pressure is too much, it impacts the bottom line.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They do care about their image. they have more money than they could ever spend, but if top leaders don't want to be seen with them because they kill journos or brutalize citizens it does impact them. If companies can't come to open offices or spend money because the pressure is too much, it impacts the bottom line.
Show me any top leader refusing to be seen with them? Lol

Show me any company refusing to do business with them? It’s foolish to even suggest that there isn’t any real pressure to ease up on HR abuses.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It isn’t. They couldn’t care less about their image. Like I said in my previous post this is a political strategy implemented by MBS since he became crown prince. Pivoting away from the previous religious order.
It sure is... and it is all about their image so they are not seen as toxic by the rest of the World. It is all a show of "look, we are not that bad".

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It sure is... and it is all about their image so they are not seen as toxic by the rest of the World. It is all a show of "look, we are not that bad".
Well ask yourself what do they (MBS) gain from that? The answer is next to nothing. He does however gain a lot from changing the order of things.

This has nothing to do with transfers and instead of wasting the next two pages I’ll move on. The Saudi league isn’t going to become the next big league and no one has to worry about anything. I’ll leave it at that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Looool ya like everyone ran to watch the Chinese league to watch iniesta play. Very little people outside Saudi and the ME will be tuning in to watch messi kick around a ball against farmers.
Remember Oscar? Exactly
A lot cheaper than what we thought. Nice business for lfc to wrap it up quciky.
Feel much better if transfer is in the 45-55 range than the much higher figures that were reported earlier

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I don’t think that is even a sliver of the equation honestly. It’s the same with that dumbass city, NEOM, they’re building. They’re literally expropriating land from their own citizens to build a “futuristic” city almost purely for international consumption. “New king, new kingdom” and all that kind of bullshit.

Haha that city's name literally translates into "not human" in Romanian

Reactions: maclean

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Well ask yourself what do they (MBS) gain from that? The answer is next to nothing. He does however gain a lot from changing the order of things.

This has nothing to do with transfers and instead of wasting the next two pages I’ll move on. The Saudi league isn’t going to become the next big league and no one has to worry about anything. I’ll leave it at that.
No one is saying they will become the biggest league, just that they are going to start offering absurd amounts to players in their prime soon.

Some will take it, some won't. I just hope there are a lot of Tiger/Rory out there.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
No one is saying they will become the biggest league, just that they are going to start offering absurd amounts to players in their prime soon.

Some will take it, some won't. I just hope there are a lot of Tiger/Rory out there.
They will take players who are expandable at most.... which helps the team selling. Like Oscar or Paulinho. The Saudi league will pose no threat. This is a gross overreaction.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Show me any top leader refusing to be seen with them? Lol

Show me any company refusing to do business with them? It’s foolish to even suggest that there isn’t any real pressure to ease up on HR abuses.
When the bonesaw crap came out, MBS didn’t get his 60 minutes, Silicon Valley love fest. It’s blown over (with some cover from the US Govt) but for a bit there was a backlash.

He’s been able to weather it, but anything really stupid like that and there are some ramifications if only for a bit

Speaking of long term profits. This merger for LIV basically means they can make money and run it

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
When the bonesaw crap came out, MBS didn’t get his 60 minutes, Silicon Valley love fest. It’s blown over (with some cover from the US Govt) but for a bit there was a backlash.

He’s been able to weather it, but anything really stupid like that and there are some ramifications if only for a bit

Speaking of long term profits. This merger for LIV basically means they can make money and run it
I will have to read about the merger, but I wonder what it means. Like, are the Saudis gaining a controlling interest in PGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad