Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Sure, and you somehow also get FIFA/UEFA to add in breaks during the season to have these games alongside the already packed schedule that players dislike.
Where there's a will (for $$$) there's a way. The clubs and FIFA/UEFA don't really seem to care much about what the players like anyway (they can cry into their millions amirite?).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So in other words. We are gonna dump money into these clubs to try and make a Super League.

EPL and to some extent UEFA better get out in front of this.
Never going to happen... none sense.

He will be on the national team even if he goes to Saudi.

He already won the Copa AND the World Cup. If he had not, I would agree with you. But, now, of course I do not know him personally, but I doubt the NT plays a huge role in his decision at the club level.

I think it is between going back home to Barca (comfort, legacy, setting up his permanent home) or securing the Saudi bag (well, money). That being said, I could very well be wrong. I just hope he does not go to City.
Doesnt matter he has to be sharp and you cant be sharp playing against villagers even if you are Messi... he obviously knows this.

Its a year away and they have a tight group that is posed to challenge for more silverware. He wont and will never walk away now. He has never had this in his career, he's likely to savor it for as long as he can.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
You are severely underestimating how much money 90M is. And not sure you are accounting for the fact that he'll still easily earn 7 figures per year off investment income / interest before even considering potential endorsements, speaking fees, etc.
I actually think you are. Spanish taxes are going to lop off 30+ right off the top. So you're at what? 63? (that's conservative).

If you think he's living on a couple million a year for the rest of his life, you're kidding. He plays ONE season in Saudi, and he's earning close to what he earned at maximum for every peak year, without rolling out of bed.

Never going to happen... none sense.

Doesnt matter he has to be sharp and you cant be sharp playing against villagers even if you are Messi... he obviously knows this.

Its a year away and they have a tight group that is posed to challenge for more silverware. He wont and will never walk away now. He has never had this in his career, he's likely to savor it for as long as he can.
I guess deep down I agree.

I just wonder how much money gets UEFA talking about letting the Saudi winner enter the CL.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
How would you rate/rank these young forwards in league 1?
Jonathan David, Lois Openda, Folarin Balogun, Amine Gouri and Elye Wahi
Tough to say and very different players.

- David is a top forward except in finishing, but his hard work makes him succeed there. Lille had to trust him for more than half a year before he started scoring though, not sure his next club will have the same patience. He's a guy who has so-so confidence. His performance at the WC was a disgrace. Too much pressure? His head is a question mark.
- Openda is a quick good scoring touch foward with a big motor. But he's still small and I'd say a one trick poney (counter, counter, counter).
- Balogun surprised me. He's in the right spot, he plays with his teammates, he moves really well. Not the best pure finished, but smart off the ball. I have trouble assessing his potential.
- Gouiri has the most tools of all those players. He can dribble, press, shoot, pass. Still he can have trouble at times playing on the same "idea" as his teammates.
- Wahi needs space too, like Openda. He's very quick and technically very solid (more than Openda). He could have trouble leading a line though. On the small side. Old question about his character dating from his 15 year old or so where he was kicked out of Caen's academy.

In terms of potential, Gouiri is IMO the biggest, but he's also the one who has scored the less this season.

Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I actually think you are. Spanish taxes are going to lop off 30+ right off the top. So you're at what? 63? (that's conservative).

If you think he's living on a couple million a year for the rest of his life, you're kidding. He plays ONE season in Saudi, and he's earning close to what he earned at maximum for every peak year, without rolling out of bed.

I guess deep down I agree.

I just wonder how much money gets UEFA talking about letting the Saudi winner enter the CL.
TBF, the 90 million is after taxes. His career earnings are 146M. And that doesn't include endorsement deals.

And, again, for top soccer players, earnings from soccer are not stopped at retirement, whether it be celebrity appearances, speaking engagements, name rights, endorsements, coaching, commentating, etc.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
That assumes that he has invested wisely and bought nothing extravagant. He also could make more money post career but at a lot of work or small return. We are still talking a ridiculous difference in earnings if he plays just one season

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That assumes that he has invested wisely and bought nothing extravagant. He also could make more money post career but at a lot of work or small return. We are still talking a ridiculous difference in earnings if he plays just one season
Don't get me wrong, I understand why the money talks, I was just saying that it isn't 90M gross.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sure, but if Benzema wants to manage, he can. So while the earning window is shorter as a player, there's a natural carryover as a manager and/or commentator for a lot of (especially elite) players.

This is dangerously close to the logic some folks might use to argue that we stop paying players more than minimum wage once they’ve earned enough for it to support their families ad Infinitum if managed well.

Footballers don’t always manage their money well and you’re overstating how much they can make in their post-career unless they are megastars or charming as f*** on tv.

Either way my point was only that it is a very different question for a footballer at the end of their career than it is for someone who works with their mind, at the start of theirs…like it was for us.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Brentford and Forest joined Atleti Madrid in the race to sign Pablo Maia. Sao Paulo wants at least 14m euros. He's pretty much gone in this window. Simeone really likes him

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Brentford and Forest joined Atleti Madrid in the race to sign Pablo Maia. Sao Paulo wants at least 14m euros. He's pretty much gone in this window. Simeone really likes him

What do you think, is Maia an immediate contributor at the PL level? West Ham will need a replacement for Rice - might be fun to get a Brazilian midfield duo with him and Paqueta.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Apparently both Koné and Thuram are on the Liverpool agenda which is great. This shit had to be addressed. Thiago is gone next summer and Henderson took a long time to get in form last season. Leaving Jones and Bajcetic. We needed three of these guys. Fabinho is so out of form he should be sold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad