Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's also a different story for someone who has more than half their life to go after their career. Having money to where you never have to lift a finger is a big motivator.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Benzema and his kids/grandkids/great grandkids probably wont ever get close to spending $600M in their lifetimes. Just the interest and investment income he's making off of his current assets is likely enough for him to live very lavishly (not just comfortably) for the rest of his life.

For me, I'll take $30M+ over 3 years in France/Spain rather than moving to Saudi Arabia.

He has 40 years, maybe more to live. 90 million is nice, and he certainly could live comfortably on that. But he would need to be conservative. No big Ibiza weekends, no jetting to wherever. But 300 million?

We're talking comfortable, to doing whatever he wants without concern.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So have I, but have you turned down 150% of your lifetime earnings for just 1 season? Cause I've never turned down THAT big of a raise.

150% of my lifetime earnings... would...hm.. probably still not be enough to even buy me an apartment. They'd have to do better :D

• Haha
Reactions: Vasilevskiy and cgf

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Some movement in barca finally. But kinda the same. Official offer coming in the next couple days, barca has to reduce salary to fit the budget. Messi and Barca TL are not the same.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
As much as I think most parties want Barca, the longer it goes, I think the more likely he plays a season or two in Saudi.

The money is just too much for him to pass up. Even if he does not need it.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
As much as I think most parties want Barca, the longer it goes, I think the more likely he plays a season or two in Saudi.

A part of me thinks it is all a PR game right now. They will end up trying to blame the rules like they did last time.

Why would Messi have a tight timeline? I mean, the Saudis won't pull their offer if he takes his time. He has all the leverage here. If he really wants to be in Barca, they will find a way.

Hopefully for Barca, and for La Liga quite frankly, they are able to come to terms and he can come back to Camp Nou. As a Madridista, I want la liga to be as healthy as possible and that means have a strong Barca that can contend for all trophies. Messi coming back helps their profile and makes them better and, at the end of the time, it is better for the league as a whole.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Touché lol...but that's a completely different story than someone offering you 150% of your lifetime earnings (each year) at the end of your career.
Sure, but if Benzema wants to manage, he can. So while the earning window is shorter as a player, there's a natural carryover as a manager and/or commentator for a lot of (especially elite) players.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
A part of me thinks it is all a PR game right now. They will end up trying to blame the rules like they did last time.

Why would Messi have a tight timeline? I mean, the Saudis won't pull their offer if he takes his time. He has all the leverage here. If he really wants to be in Barca, they will find a way.

Hopefully for Barca, and for La Liga quite frankly, they are able to come to terms and he can come back to Camp Nou. As a Madridista, I want la liga to be as healthy as possible and that means have a strong Barca that can contend for all trophies. Messi coming back helps their profile and makes them better and, at the end of the time, it is better for the league as a whole.
I completely understand. I think it's more a PR game to eventually get him there. By giving it a "well, I waited, and waited, and no deal was made, had to take the concrete offer" he might save some face.

Dude already is an ambassador for some tourism rip off. Why he wouldn't just open up the money box for the rest of it, I really don't know.

Sure, but if Benzema wants to manage, he can. So while the earning window is shorter as a player, there's a natural carryover as a manager and/or commentator for a lot of (especially elite) players.
This is silly.

Manage or lay out fat on some beach?

yeah, no thanks. No top level player manages because they need to pad the bank account. Make appearances on Sky Sports? Sure. But manage is a different animal. The players who do think they can do it for ego. Or because they need to continue the competitive juices after retirement (which is also somewhat ego).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Quite the opposite for me

ITs quite clear as to why he would have a tight line like I've said numerous times. He wants to be picking the team not have the choice done for him. Like last time and it blew up in his face. Saudi isnt pulling the plug but European teams will. I simply dont see him going out of Europe with Copa looming. He has plenty to play for and has said he wants to continue in Europe if no Barca.

I completely understand. I think it's more a PR game to eventually get him there. By giving it a "well, I waited, and waited, and no deal was made, had to take the concrete offer" he might save some face.

Dude already is an ambassador for some tourism rip off. Why he wouldn't just open up the money box for the rest of it, I really don't know.
See above.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Brighton trying to keep their Argentine quota up. Nicolas Dominguez is in frame to replace Alexis.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

This is silly.

Manage or lay out fat on some beach?

yeah, no thanks. No top level player manages because they need to pad the bank account. Make appearances on Sky Sports? Sure. But manage is a different animal. The players who do think they can do it for ego. Or because they need to continue the competitive juices after retirement (which is also somewhat ego).
Sure, but most players, especially the elite ones, are only that good because of the ego and/or competitive juices.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There’s no way buying a stake in a club as part of a transfer is legal.
Yeah you have to actually but the full club for it to be legal :)

But yeah we know Todd and friends are “creative” but this is ridiculous

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Quite the opposite for me

ITs quite clear as to why he would have a tight line like I've said numerous times. He wants to be picking the team not have the choice done for him. Like last time and it blew up in his face. Saudi isnt pulling the plug but European teams will. I simply dont see him going out of Europe with Copa looming. He has plenty to play for and has said he wants to continue in Europe if no Barca.

See above.
He will be on the national team even if he goes to Saudi.

He already won the Copa AND the World Cup. If he had not, I would agree with you. But, now, of course I do not know him personally, but I doubt the NT plays a huge role in his decision at the club level.

I think it is between going back home to Barca (comfort, legacy, setting up his permanent home) or securing the Saudi bag (well, money). That being said, I could very well be wrong. I just hope he does not go to City.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The biggest impediment they face to making the Saudi league an actual big league is that they don't have the (real) Champion's League and even if they somehow switched from AFC to UEFA, such an ownership structure clearly wouldn't be allowed to compete in UEFA competitions.

You can only throw around deals that are worth 10 or more times market value for so long.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yup, exactly what I said yesterday, they will come for the best CURRENT players very very soon. LIV was nothing but a practice run.
LIV was great in terms of poaching some golfers but in terms of actually making a rival league, they haven't done too well. And I think soccer fans will be even more anti-XI League or whatever dumb name they call it.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
He has 40 years, maybe more to live. 90 million is nice, and he certainly could live comfortably on that. But he would need to be conservative. No big Ibiza weekends, no jetting to wherever. But 300 million?

We're talking comfortable, to doing whatever he wants without concern.
You are severely underestimating how much money 90M is. And not sure you are accounting for the fact that he'll still easily earn 7 figures per year off investment income / interest before even considering potential endorsements, speaking fees, etc.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The biggest impediment they face to making the Saudi league an actual big league is that they don't have the (real) Champion's League and even if they somehow switched from AFC to UEFA, such an ownership structure clearly wouldn't be allowed to compete in UEFA competitions.

You can only throw around deals that are worth 10 or more times market value for so long.
So they make their own Super League type competition that somehow gets around any potential UEFA sanctions for the clubs involved (hell, could even call it an "exhibition competition." We know the Spanish clubs and Juventus would be game for that, as would PSG now that the World Cup is come and gone. There's at least 8 clubs or so, enough to form a nascent club competition.

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Ronaldo, Benzema, and Messi don't really have anything else to play for other than money, they've won leagues and CL titles, they've reached legend status so other than a sack of cash, what's to play for? If a top player that hasn't won anything, like Kane, takes the Saudi bag instead of playing for trophies, then it would time to get concerned.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So they make their own Super League type competition that somehow gets around any potential UEFA sanctions for the clubs involved (hell, could even call it an "exhibition competition." We know the Spanish clubs and Juventus would be game for that, as would PSG now that the World Cup is come and gone. There's at least 8 clubs or so, enough to form a nascent club competition.
Sure, and you somehow also get FIFA/UEFA to add in breaks during the season to have these games alongside the already packed schedule that players dislike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad