Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
As much as I like Jude, Mac Allister and Kone for way less would be a hell of a coup.

They still need to get a central defender who can play the ball and move, and might want to take a flier on a bit more of a project midfielder, but that could change things overnight.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Paul Joyce says Alexis Mac Allister is getting done this week. Romano the tap in merchant agrees. Apparently fee could be as low as 45m? Which makes everyone feel a lot better. This is basically an A transfer on paper if the fee is only 45m

Khephran Thuram is probably next. Manu Kone or Romeo Lavia probably finish out the midfield shopping spree. Think Chelsea get Lavia and LFC get Kone; which is what I would prefer honestly. Also Gabri Veiga name has popped up recently but not sure how legit that link is
He along with the Argentinain journalists have been on it for weeks. In fact others said Brighton havent even heard from LFC. Fab/Merlo and Gaston have loong said its LFC. Fab even said its going to be lower than the reported fee it would take.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Forgot about Skriniar, selling Bitshiabu makes more sense then.

And is Soler expected to be kept? I thought I remembered hearing that he had struggled to settle in so figured he might be sold to clear PT.
If the right offer comes, I think Soler is gone.
I would not sell Bitshiabu except for a stupid offer. He's 17 and has unreal potential.
But I'd loan him and let him learn.
OM did that with Toure and it's paying off given the last few months.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The family thing is a bit of a question. While many people in Saudi Arabia do not have the same rights of many Europeans, if you have stupid wealth, it's a bit of a different experience there. Yes, female members of his family might have issues in public, but they're likely not in public all that often, and you could set it up to live quite comfortably in some settings.

I don't blame the player for taking the money. They're not the last player who will pick the money. I think from a competitive standpoint, along with the social aspects, it's a bit disappointing, but I understand it.

I think for the family thing it's more a matter of if they're used to and comfortable with the country their in. Kids have friends and you don't really want to move them around too much. People always say 'oh the kids can make new friends' but that's a vast oversimplification from my own experience

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think for the family thing it's more a matter of if they're used to and comfortable with the country their in. Kids have friends and you don't really want to move them around too much. People always say 'oh the kids can make new friends' but that's a vast oversimplification from my own experience
Sure. 100%. though you're talking kids who live in a different world than we do. Moving is part of it, but they'd likely move to the best international school in the area, and have the support of a ton of extended family.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sure. 100%. though you're talking kids who live in a different world than we do. Moving is part of it, but they'd likely move to the best international school in the area, and have the support of a ton of extended family.

That's not always a pleasant experience :laugh:

Reactions: maclean

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
For me it more comes down to -- I already have enough money / can still earn enough money in Europe for me and my kids to never worry about money a day in our lives. So why would I spend 3 years of my life living in Saudi Arabia rather than where I'd prefer to live?

I'm not blaming any players for taking a $200M salary, but the notion that everyone would make that choice isn't correct. At some point when you already have enough money, that 3 years of time is worth more than the bag.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Not many professional athletes are even sitting on hundreds of millions, after you take stuff like taxes, agent fees, accountants, lawyers, etc., on top of just spending. Not those guys we are talking about are still plenty well off enough to not have to go to Saudi for a payday, but no one is turning down a payday like that.

I'm sure there are plenty of comps that can be made to people here to test that. Say someone on this board is a lawyer, and they refuse to take certain types of clients, but they offer you a certain level money to do so, at a certain point, the vast majority of people will take on that client. It's not even that you are being greedy or selfish or a sellout, but either you can set your family and generations up for a good life where money isn't a concern or you can then use that money in better ways, plenty of justifications.
I’ve turned down higher paying jobs and I know my firm has turned down clients that are willing to pay a ton. Maybe there’s a line that the potential client just didn’t get to but it’s not hard to turn down money when you make good money

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I’ve turned down higher paying jobs and I know my firm has turned down clients that are willing to pay a ton. Maybe there’s a line that the potential client just didn’t get to but it’s not hard to turn down money when you make good money
My old firm did as well, I don't think people will cross a moral line when the other side is willing to just reasonably overpay, but when it gets to absurd levels, I think most people will take the money. And not everyone would cross the line either.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
That's not always a pleasant experience :laugh:
Ha.
For me it more comes down to -- I already have enough money / can still earn enough money in Europe for me and my kids to never worry about money a day in our lives. So why would I spend 3 years of my life living in Saudi Arabia rather than where I'd prefer to live?

I'm not blaming any players for taking a $200M salary, but the notion that everyone would make that choice isn't correct. At some point when you already have enough money, that 3 years of time is worth more than the bag.
I guess. Benzema in his career might have made 100-150 or so at this point. Maybe less. That assumes he has invested, saved, and spent wisely. That's really likely not the case for a lot of these players. He could manage, work in tv, sign shirts, whatever, and get by, but he might have medical bills or child support, or whatever. Legal bills for sure. He also has a lifestyle he's likely accustom to.

If you could do another year or two and double your lifetime earnings? Triple it? That's family, generational level wealth. It's really hard to pass up.

I think there are some who say screw it, I'm good. But not a lot.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

So have I, but have you turned down 150% of your lifetime earnings for just 1 season? Cause I've never turned down THAT big of a raise.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This. We are talking Monopoly Money compared with just a good raise.
Yeah. I've certainly turned down a path that would've seen me making at least an order of magnitude more than I do...but never have I been offered something like Benzema was.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
My brother in law works at a top boarding school. Definitely a different breed

That poor bastard *hug*

Yeah, I've experienced a lot of really surreal things in my life, but listening to 4th graders bullying each other for their parents having to spend too much of their salaries on maintaining a lifestyle that includes a chauffeured Rolls for your kid, to invest properly; was definitely up there :laugh:

Especially having attended Lab as a scholarship kid; who would get dropped off in an Acura that was older than I was, by my Father as he made his way to work at the University.

Reactions: Chimaera

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I still flick the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools off when I drive by, out of instinct :laugh:

There is a storage company near where I work that posts right-wing crap right along their "Storage by the month!!" electronic messages.

I roll the window down every time and give them the bird and I make eye contact with anyone there in the yard at the time.

Reactions: cgf

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah. I've certainly turned down a path that would've seen me making at least an order of magnitude more than I do...but never have I been offered something like Benzema was.
It's also significantly different for Benzema or some of the others who likely will get stupid money. They're very wealthy. But that money train likely dries up the second they retire. There's no other chance to cash in like this.

Messi and Ronaldo? They can print money in advertising dollars for a long, long while.

Reactions: maclean and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There is a storage company near where I work that posts right-wing crap right along their "Storage by the month!!" electronic messages.

I roll the window down every time and give them the bird and I make eye contact with anyone there in the yard at the time.

lol I do that with the dicks harassing women going into the Planned Parenthood out here in the burbs, but down by Lab I don't even notice myself doing it; it's 100% just out of habit :laugh:

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Benzema and his kids/grandkids/great grandkids probably wont ever get close to spending $600M in their lifetimes. Just the interest and investment income he's making off of his current assets is likely enough for him to live very lavishly (not just comfortably) for the rest of his life.

For me, I'll take $30M+ over 3 years in France/Spain rather than moving to Saudi Arabia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad