Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kante’s not a traditional six and has played a lot as a high pressing eight who even roams into the box a lot in the past few years

Really? I had figured that with the age and injuries he'd be running around less, not more. In that case, he could definitely be a fit for what JN's asked his midfielders to do in recent years.

That price tag makes a lot more sense than 100M

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Oh I know that, but like I said, I assumed that with the injuries and age, he would be running less than ever before and under TT he was often in a pretty classical holding role.
He was an attacking midfielder the few games he's played this year...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Despite rumors linking him to clubs like Arsenal, it looks like Darvich is staying in Freiburg for at least another year. Kid is still finishing his schooling and apparently SCF has made him some promises that satisfied him from a sporting perspective.

With SCFII sitting atop the 3rd division, that would seem like a logical next step once he finishes his education...but with Freiburg fighting on multiple fronts again next season, the U17 EM-winning captain could start cameo'ing for the senior team if all goes well the way.

Kinda like how Bischof started to cameo for Hoffenheim this season.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Oh I know that, but like I said, I assumed that with the injuries and age, he would be running less than ever before and under TT he was often in a pretty classical holding role.
I actually don’t know what the best path forward is for Ng.

Saudi makes sense. He’s a devout muslim and family man. He wouldn’t have to go all out physically either.

I can see so many different outcomes. Him being elite in Europe for years with a rejuvenated body. Him staying in europe and continuing to be fit only 25% of the time.

He also wants term on his next contract and with his recent injury history, I think it’s objectively a bad decision to give him 3+ years but it may work out really well. Who knows.

Reactions: cgf

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s just too much money to turn down for a player with literally nothing else to prove

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Yeah I'm gonna be honest here, nobody should be giving shit to Messi, Ronaldo, Benzema any of those guys for going to Saudi. 99% of the people in the world ain't turning down this money.

(f*** Messi still tho.)
It's not really a reasonable comparison, 99% of the people in the world aren't already sitting on hundreds of millions. Put them in that position and I have doubts the vast majority make such a move. At a certain point it's already more money than most people (and their kids, and their grandkids) can reasonably spend in their lifetimes.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not many professional athletes are even sitting on hundreds of millions, after you take stuff like taxes, agent fees, accountants, lawyers, etc., on top of just spending. Not those guys we are talking about are still plenty well off enough to not have to go to Saudi for a payday, but no one is turning down a payday like that.

I'm sure there are plenty of comps that can be made to people here to test that. Say someone on this board is a lawyer, and they refuse to take certain types of clients, but they offer you a certain level money to do so, at a certain point, the vast majority of people will take on that client. It's not even that you are being greedy or selfish or a sellout, but either you can set your family and generations up for a good life where money isn't a concern or you can then use that money in better ways, plenty of justifications.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's not really a reasonable comparison, 99% of the people in the world aren't already sitting on hundreds of millions. Put them in that position and I have doubts the vast majority make such a move. At a certain point it's already more money than most people (and their kids, and their grandkids) can reasonably spend in their lifetimes.

True, but from a simple google search; Benzema's career earnings look to be under 145M...and those may be pre-tax #s, though I think they also don't include endorsement money or any club perks (housing / transport / stipends / etc.)...too lazy to dig deep.

With the Saudi's reportedly offering him almost 215M a year that's nearly 150% of his career earnings to date...for each season that he's there...and I doubt the Saudi state is taking any of that back in taxes.

We also need to keep in mind that professional athletes have much shorter earnings-windows than do most of us to try and understand his decision.

I've turned down massive raises to not hate where I work before, though not quite that massive lol, and not wanting to even tacitly support such a despicable regime is a better reason than I had...while not having generational wealth already...so I agree with you.

Just saying that this is an easy argument to oversimplify whether you're on the right side of it or not.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
True, but from a simple google search; Benzema's career earnings look to be under 145M...and those may be pre-tax #s, though I think they also don't include endorsement money and club perks...too lazy to dig deep.

With the Saudi's reportedly offering him almost 215M a year that's nearly 150% of his career earnings to date...for each season that he's there...and I doubt the Saudi state is taking any of that back in taxes.

We also need to keep in mind that professional athletes have much shorter earnings-windows than do most of us.

I've turned down massive raises to not hate where I work before, but not that massive, and not wanting to even tacitly support such a despicable regime is a better reason than I had.

Just saying that this is an easy argument to oversimplify whether you're on the right side of it or not.
I just think it's an oversimplification to say everyone else would do it in the same context and I believe that's accurate. While the points you raise are true, in the US (for example), the average high school graduating man earns $1.54M in their lifetime (Research Summary: Education and Lifetime Earnings). Shorter earning window, agent fees, taxes, etc... he has still earned far, far more than any average world citizen is ever going to see in their lifetimes.

Good for him if that's the decision he wants to make and what he is valuing, I don't really have a vested interest in critiquing him--though I disagree doing so is off-limits cause "we'd all make the same choice." And really, I'm more just speaking to the trend in general than Benzema in particular.

Last edited:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Don't know how happy United fans are going to be with this but for me the closest comparable to Kim is a two-footed Harry Maguire ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad