OT: 2023 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Nice to see the Whitecaps finally lay a beatdown on someone. Montreal takes an early red card and Vancouver shows no mercy, winning 5-0.

Both young guys Becher and Ahmed look outstanding (as they have almost every time they've seen the pitch) with three goals between them. Brian White opens his MLS account (set up by Becher), Gressel gets a much deserved goal. Clean sheet for Takaoka. Gauld, banged up, gets a full rest with a Champions League game coming Wednesday.

They needed this.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
From everything I've heard. It sounds like Vanni intentionally threw yesterdays game....

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
Guys on am 650( Sat and Dan ) were talking a bit about the Caps.
12 years, second worst record over all; worse than a franchise that folded. :(

Reactions: Lindgren

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Guys on am 650( Sat and Dan ) were talking a bit about the Caps.
12 years, second worst record over all; worse than a franchise that folded. :(
Chivas USA? Funnily enough, that club routinely had the Caps' number.

Reactions: Gurn

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The Whitecaps beat CPL side York United 4-1 last night in Toronto to advance to the next stage of the Canadian Championship. It was scoreless for most of the game, but after Sam Adekugbe's brother knocked Russell Teibert's shot off the crossbar into his own net in the 64th minute, things opened up and the last third of the game saw five goals, including a really nice finish from the debuting Levonte Johnson.

There was some curiosity whether the 'Caps might end up playing upstart TSS Rovers of BC League 1 (who had knocked off the CPL's Valour FC one level up), but the Battle of BC will instead be a cross-Strait battle against the CPL's Pacific FC in the next stage. The Whitecaps will get their chance to avenge Pacific's 2021 victory, which did in Marc Dos Santos as manager.

Meanwhile, somehow Toronto and Montreal ended up already playing each other, and Toronto lost (it's always nice when Toronto is out, since they win this thing like 97% of the time). So Montreal's road to the finals also goes through Hamilton's CPL side, Forge.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Anyone watch CPL games? How does the quality compare to MLS?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Anyone watch CPL games? How does the quality compare to MLS?

Last week was my first live viewing of a CPL game (I have watched many games on TV before). The fans made the atmosphere great but the quality of the football was not...good. Very choppy and scrambly compare to what you see in the MLS and the obvious lack of individual talent was evident. Still a good event to take the family to but yeah, this league is massively behind the MLS in talent and quality of football.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really tried to watch my first Whitecaps game on TSN tonight from Portland......but they were down
0-2 in the first 15 minutes, And I gradually drifted away.

Defending was laughably bad on both goals, but then I suppose the Whitecaps aren't one of the worst road-teams in MLS for no reason.

Didn't recognize the names of half the Caps players...Does this team have any chance of making the MLS playoffs?

Reactions: Lindgren

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
So, a month goes by without me getting to watch the Whitecaps. And then this game happens on TSN.

Can someone please remind me why am I supposed to be an engaged fan of this team?

Reactions: petka and Lindgren

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I used to be a pretty big fan.
Watched every game, went to a ton.
The hassili, davies years were awesome.
Now? The marketing is so dreadful, legit forgot the season is even on right now.
Have not watched a single game this year

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Didn't recognize the names of half the Caps players...Does this team have any chance of making the MLS playoffs?
I mean, you can’t get worked up over not knowing the players – MLS is not the top of the global food chain, and this will be the case even for the league’s top teams.

And yes, they’re very much in the mix, because there is lots of parity in the league and the playoff format has been expanded again. They have been playing pretty well this year, for real. They’re definitely “average”, as is most of the league, although they will always have a lower ceiling than others because of built-in disadvantages being in Western Canada playing on turf.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I mean, you can’t get worked up over not knowing the players – MLS is not the top of the global food chain, and this will be the case even for the league’s top teams.

And yes, they’re very much in the mix, because there is lots of parity in the league and the playoff format has been expanded again. They have been playing pretty well this year, for real. They’re definitely “average”, as is most of the league, although they will always have a lower ceiling than others because of built-in disadvantages being in Western Canada playing on turf.

Hmm.

Makes me wonder if there's any chance BC Place makes the switch to grass permanent after the 2026 WC. Or is it too difficult to justify the maintenance costs? I know it's technically possible, but the cost may not be worth it.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Hmm.

Makes me wonder if there's any chance BC Place makes the switch to grass permanent after the 2026 WC. Or is it too difficult to justify the maintenance costs? I know it's technically possible, but the cost may not be worth it.

BC Place holds large RV events, monster truck events along with events that have heavy amusement park rides brought in there. Think off all the weight above the turf.

We will never see real grass in there...

The stadium at Waterfront was a huge missed opportunity.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
BC Place holds large RV events, monster truck events along with events that have heavy amusement park rides brought in there. Think off all the weight above the turf.

Baseball park at waterfront ? Potentially for MLB.

Or am I out to lunch ?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Lions and Whitecaps probably don't generate enough revenue to justify the costs of maintaining a grass field with all the other events they need to host.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Lions and Whitecaps probably don't generate enough revenue to justify the costs of maintaining a grass field with all the other events they need to host.

Unless you have the billion-dollar contraption like in Arizona to roll the field outdoors, not to mention the open space and sunlight, I don’t know how possible it even is to maintain a long-term grass pitch in an indoor stadium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad