OT: 2023 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The Whitecaps look astronomically better to start this season than they did in game 1 last season.

Fitting they finally look better now that I'm no longer a STH. :laugh:

Whitecaps have been dumpster juice for a couple of years now, the honeymoon phase of this team is over and we want a contending team.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Vancouver sat on their hands the entire second half and have barely touched the ball. A 1-0 lead turns into a 2-1 deficit in under 5 minutes.

Sartini has just watched the momentum change and has done nothing to try and get it back.

Edit: makes two subs after going behind instead of while ahead to protect the lead. Brilliant strategy.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Vancouver sat on their hands the entire second half and have barely touched the ball. A 1-0 lead turns into a 2-1 deficit in under 5 minutes.

Sartini has just watched the momentum change and has done nothing to try and get it back.

Edit: makes two subs after going behind instead of while ahead to protect the lead. Brilliant strategy.
I'm still amazed that Sartini is coaching an MLS squad. This is a guy that's way out of his depth...

Guess it comes down to him probably being cheap.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Well, they'll always have the first 45 minutes of the season when it looked like they were ready to turn a corner.

Takaoka impressed in his debut, despite the loss.

Probably the last game I watch on TV this year. Apple's production is garbage and I'm not paying extra money to watch MLS on TV. :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
New personnel but same old Whitecaps.....is there a team in MLS that gives up more late goals than Vancouver? Last year their defense fumbled wins into ties; and ties into losses. Business as usual.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I don’t think “same old Whitecaps” checks out here. They held the edge in possession for the entire game, manufactured chances and won the ball back after losing it many times. They had the better expected goal totals (i.e. should have won). None of that has happened for years. Their results last year often depended on last-minute miracles.

They needed subs earlier when they started to tire and, most of all, they needed to finish their chances (RSL had way more shots on target and Takaoka ended up being the busier keeper). But last night at least, it wasn’t the hopeless squad we’ve seen for a few years.

Reactions: Red and tradervik

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Listening to the Caps on CKLG Radio isn’t to bad it’s actually better than what Apple TV brings to the table

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Not sure they're ever going to learn. TSN is praising the Caps as a team that will enjoy a lot of possession, but since the goal they couldn't wait to give the ball back to San Jose.

Unsurprisingly, the Earthquakes have now equalized.

And now they're trailing. Absolutely disgusting defending on San Jose's second goal.

This team still sucks.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Not sure they're ever going to learn. TSN is praising the Caps as a team that will enjoy a lot of possession, but since the goal they couldn't wait to give the ball back to San Jose.

Unsurprisingly, the Earthquakes have now equalized.

And now they're trailing. Absolutely disgusting defending on San Jose's second goal.

This team still sucks.
It's time to get rid of Sartini already.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The start of every Whitecaps season is like 'Groundhog Day'. Every year they preach the gospel about not getting in a big hole early in the season. And every year they come out of the gate like slugs, and basically chase their tails for the rest of the season.

So it's business as usual. Seemed to a be a lot of Whitecaps fans who made the trip to San Jose. You have to really feel for them......because disappointment is about they can expect from this team.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Vanni is not a good coach.
The team is built to maintain a high press attack for a full 90. Except Cordova is slower than Cavallini and a major downgrade for a high price, and we still have shitty CBs that cannot keep a line.

Half changes each year dooms this team. They needed a new manager, CB upgrades and a faster reliable striker.

Oh well, my time and money is safe for another year.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Just caught the highlights; that was a thrashing and the Caps looked like they were having fun.

Might be the kick they need to see some MLS success.

Reactions: Red

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Where can I watch the game? I watched the Toronto game on TSN last week as well as the Whitecaps. Thanks

Only some of the games are on TSN this season. MLS signed a deal with Apple TV: the games are now there for the "low" price of $100 a year. Terrible move to growing the game.

Caps with their first point of the season today.

Reactions: trellaine201

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Only some of the games are on TSN this season. MLS signed a deal with Apple TV: the games are now there for the "low" price of $100 a year. Terrible move to growing the game.

Thanks. Totally agree on the things you said. Huge mistake MLS.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

I got the MLS package and was quite annoyed to see you can't watch the game after-the-fact on the laptop app without it telling you the score before you even begin. :mad:

Reactions: Red

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad