HF Habs: 2023 Roster, Schedule & Standings Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
nor will it ever fit into what the media in Montreal want
The concept is alien to them. The idea of trying to build a team from scratch has never been an agenda here. Keep the aging Vets they might give you a couple of extra points each over an 80+ game season. We are going to be pretty bad and the reporting will get pretty ugly. :sarcasm:

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Tankists sometimes lose the forest for the trees... it's not enjoyable to watch a crappy team play crap hockey. People lose interest, players who are fighting for contracts lose interest or worse get mad. Young players, especially defencemen and goalie, lose confidence. It's just awful all around. And worst of all: there's always the risk of turning into Deadmonton and Buffalose.

And as we've seen, there is hardly an immediate reward for a full year's worth of losing and tanking anyway. There's no guarantee that even the 1OA leads to any positive impact to the bottom line (w%/pt%/playoff round wins) in the foreseeable future. It could be a "bad draft year" , it could be a player that'll take a few years to get going (and by that point you have other holes to fill and have a net gain of 0), it could be a litany of excuses for why rebuilds get derailed.

I can't imagine MSL will be happy if the Habs' pt% is 0.125 or the win% is 0.00... I can't imagine he would retain his chippy, happy, positive, confidence self if he goes through a brutal 82 game marathon...

I think Tanking can be done for a maximum of 2 seasons. Any more leads to negative outcomes. Be careful what you wish for.
As an ex-president once said : it is what it is.

It’s full on tank. Denial here is futile. We suck.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I agree but I think Harris needs to be at the NHL level to adapt to that level of physical play / speed.

Xhekaj physical play isn’t an issue but I hope they don’t keep him for his intangibles and allow him to improve his hockey skills which he would be able to do as a top4 D in the AHL.
Xhekaj’s intangibles is what cost Gorton’s job in NYC (at least partially). Me thinks that unless they trade for a goon or pick one on waivers, intangibles win.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Young players, especially defencemen and goalie lose confidence.
Do you make this stuff up? The determining factor has to do with the individual and not wins/losses. There are plenty of excellent players who played on seriously bad teams who excelled anyways. Joe Sakic Adam Foote Roberto Luongo are just some examples.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
My apologies if this is the wrong thread, but what is the long term outlook of Anderson on the Habs? Is there any stomach to trade him with retention of $1-2m or does the length of his contract scare fans from moving him? If so what would the expected return be?

To me he somewhat sticks out as a player that might provide some level of protection for the young stars, but is nearing the end of his prime (if he hasn’t already past it).

Thanks in advance and I hope to see many of your young stars and prospects thrive and take large steps forward this coming season!
No way Hughes retains on Anderson.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm against tanking (not BUILDING), but I do agree that there should be one thread where tanking is assumed right (can be this one) and one where it is debated, and everywhere else it is better not mentioned.
They are not mutually exclusive. If we move assets again this year for picks we are essentially tanking. Hughes mentioned he wants another 1st rounder and it's not hard to see that he will have to give up something to get it.

Reactions: Runner77

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
They are not mutually exclusive. If we move assets again this year for picks we are essentially tanking. Hughes mentioned he wants another 1st rounder and it's not hard to see that he will have to give up something to get it.
Trading expiring assets for futures is not tanking. It is simply smart building.

Tanking would be banishing the development staff from Montreal, bringing up Fairbrother to replace Guhle, resting Suzuki on back to back nights, playing Monty half the games and playing a bunch of wingers on their wrong sides. Oh wait........... :sarcasm:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Putting aside my disagreement with this definition of tanking, my hope is that the guy we trade for a late first is a rejuvenated Monahan.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Trading expiring assets for futures is not tanking. It is simply smart building.

Tanking would be banishing the development staff from Montreal, bringing up Fairbrother to replace Guhle, resting Suzuki on back to back nights, playing Monty half the games and playing a bunch of wingers on their wrong sides. Oh wait........... :sarcasm:
The Habs would Never be that obvious.

Reactions: McGees and Runner77

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
My apologies if this is the wrong thread, but what is the long term outlook of Anderson on the Habs? Is there any stomach to trade him with retention of $1-2m or does the length of his contract scare fans from moving him? If so what would the expected return be?

To me he somewhat sticks out as a player that might provide some level of protection for the young stars, but is nearing the end of his prime (if he hasn’t already past it).
Anderson is a key player if the team wants to compete before Guhle's and Slaf's ELCs are up.

I highly doubt the club is looking to move him at par, never mind a discount.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Well then, they are not taking the tanking seriously and will lose the race to the bottom.
I don't think the bottom is in play this year given how bad a handful of other teams are. We are tanking by default with glaring holes in our lineup. I don't believe any team tries to tank early on regardless. Usually by game 20 the losers stop trying as hard.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Do you make this stuff up? The determining factor has to do with the individual and not wins/losses. There are plenty of excellent players who played on seriously bad teams who excelled anyways. Joe Sakic Adam Foote Roberto Luongo are just some examples.
How about players who were young and active in a year that started with 2***?

How about Buffalo, Arizona, Edmonton? How about Ottawa constantly spinning its wheels? How about Toronto that doesn't know how to win despite and incredible amount of talent?

Do you make things up to justify tanking? Is there any evidence that losing games means winning more games later?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
They have to submit a cap compliant 23 man (or less) roster by 5 pm.

Bowey & Schue are already in Laval.

Still some moves to make.

Primeau assigned to Laval

On D:

I expect Mailloux to be moved to SOIR (Season Opening Injured Reserve) until he can be assigned to London. By signing him & putting him on SOIR, he actually gives us cap relief.

Edmundson to IR
Leskinen & Barron to Laval

7D: Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Wideman, Xhekaj, Harris & Kovacevic

Fowards:

Heineman to SOIR
Armia to IR

Slafkovsky, RHP & Ylonen to Laval (Slafkovsky can get recalled tomorrow)

14F: Suzuki, Caufield, Anderson, Gallagher, Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, Pezzetta, Dvorak, Dach, Pitlick, Evans, Monahan & Byron.

On Wednesday, Byron gets put on LTIR, and Slafkovsky is recalled from Laval.
Hope you can teach me something: how does the Mailloux placement on SOIR help the cap situation?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
How about players who were young and active in a year that started with 2***?

How about Buffalo, Arizona, Edmonton? How about Ottawa constantly spinning its wheels? How about Toronto that doesn't know how to win despite and incredible amount of talent?

Do you make things up to justify tanking? Is there any evidence that losing games means winning more games later?
Toronto focused on developing the forwards and getting Tavares too.

Habs seem focused on developing the defence. That is crucial to future success.

If Barron or Mailloux, Guhle and Xhekaj can even come CLOSE to a Big Three of Glory Days, and guys like Harris can be the Bill Nyrop or Brian Engblom to complement, look out!

If they do not all pan out, we have about $15-$20M we can spend annually within two years on UFA studs to fill the gaps in our prospect pool.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013

Thanks in advance and I hope to see many of your young stars and prospects thrive and take large steps forward this coming season!

You retain salary on an expiring contract, not on one that has years to go. When you retain salary, it's for the duration of the contract and you don't want to be tied up for years like in Anderson's case. Since you only have 3 retainers, tying you up for a long time isn't good business.

I see retaining salary on Dadonov, Drouin and Monahan this year, because we'll be free at the end of the season. Hoffman can wait for next year.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Tankists sometimes lose the forest for the trees... it's not enjoyable to watch a crappy team play crap hockey. People lose interest, players who are fighting for contracts lose interest or worse get mad. Young players, especially defencemen and goalie, lose confidence. It's just awful all around. And worst of all: there's always the risk of turning into Deadmonton and Buffalose.

And as we've seen, there is hardly an immediate reward for a full year's worth of losing and tanking anyway. There's no guarantee that even the 1OA leads to any positive impact to the bottom line (w%/pt%/playoff round wins) in the foreseeable future. It could be a "bad draft year" , it could be a player that'll take a few years to get going (and by that point you have other holes to fill and have a net gain of 0), it could be a litany of excuses for why rebuilds get derailed.

I can't imagine MSL will be happy if the Habs' pt% is 0.125 or the win% is 0.00... I can't imagine he would retain his chippy, happy, positive, confidence self if he goes through a brutal 82 game marathon...

I think Tanking can be done for a maximum of 2 seasons. Any more leads to negative outcomes. Be careful what you wish for.
You're right. It's not enjoyable to watch a crappy team. Which is more or less what I've been doing since '93. Finally a rebuild is happening. They will slowly become competitive, and knowing that, I can stomach another year of rebuilding pains. This organization had/has a lot of issues that would not have been fixed overnight.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Hope you can teach me something: how does the Mailloux placement on SOIR help the cap situation?

Mailloux & Heineman both went on SOIR.

In fact, Montreal did everything I said except keep Slafkovsky & put Byron on IR instead of roster. I wasn't sure they had the money for that. I didn't bother to calculate if they did.

Price's $10.5m LTIR is now spent. We used $10.194m of it. We don't get to use that last $400,000.

SOIR is only available to players on 2 way contracts, which ELCs are. We'll get the full benefit of their NHL salaries to give us breathing room to recall players, use IR for other players, etc.

Players on IR still count against the cap, which is why teams are expected to save $1m-$2m for that eventuality. Since a lot of teams have not done that this year, you're going to see a lot of games with reduced in-game rosters & emergency recalls.

Mailloux & Heineman give us $1.795m in salary relief immediately. Otherwise, we'd be in emergency conditions too.

Teams have to apply to NHL for SOIR benefits.

Now, Canadiens can choose to keep Byron on IR, and just use the SOIR pool until both Mailloux and Heineman are healthy and the pool can't be used anymore; in which case Byron goes to LTIR.

Or, put Byron on LTIR tomorrow & bring in a $2m-$2.25m D as replacement leaving +$1m for IR after we lose SOIR (cause both Mailloux & Heineman are healthy).

It gives Montreal options for roster movement since it opens up cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad