HF Habs: 2023 Roster, Schedule & Standings Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
because they did not play an NHL game last year, and are on two-way contracts, their cap hits are ignored. They're not counted against the cap at all. Technically, we get full cap relief for them.
But not one penny more or less than if they were just sent to Sweden or Laval, and London.

Our total excluding Price would STILL be $82,194,166 and STILL should have been $82,363,333 had they done a better job of maximizing by subbing Mesar and Barron for Guhle and Harris.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
But not one penny more or less than if they were just sent to Sweden or Laval, and London.

Our total excluding Price would STILL be $82,194,166 and STILL should have been $82,363,333 had they done a better job of maximizing by subbing Mesar and Barron for Guhle and Harris.

Then after creating the max upper limit, switching them again to create space. I'm not sure why they didn't do that.

Hughes could have been looking at trades too, which is why he canceled his media availability.

If we had $300,000 in extra space, technically you could trade Drouin for someone making $5.8m, or Hoffman for someone making $4.8m, but it obviously didn't happen.

You can't re-assign injured players to lower levels. SOIR gets even more complicated if they had played an NHL game(s) last year.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Then after creating the max upper limit, switching them again to create space. I'm not sure why they didn't do that.

Hughes could have been looking at trades too, which is why he canceled his media availability.

If we had $300,000 in extra space, technically you could trade Drouin for someone making $5.8m, or Hoffman for someone making $4.8m, but it obviously didn't happen.

You can't re-assign injured players to lower levels. SOIR gets even more complicated if they had played an NHL game(s) last year.
It's a simple $170,000 error due to lack of imagination/competence. Reminds me when Gainey thought Spacek was 34 instead of 35, or the Leafs confused Jeff Finger with Kurt Sauer or Jon-Michael Liles.

As for the SOIR, it seems to do nothing for us, neither good nor bad. Had these guys not been injured, the cap space would still be the same.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It's a simple $170,000 error due to lack of imagination/competence. Reminds me when Gainey thought Spacek was 34 instead of 35, or the Leafs confused Jeff Finger with Kurt Sauer or Jon-Michael KLiles.

As for the SOIR, it seems to do nothing for us, neither good nor bad. Had these guys not been injured, the cap space would still be the same.

I wouldn't go so far as to compare it to the Finger-Sauer fiasco. That was a pretty epic & costly screw up.

I suspect Byron goes on LTIR soon, and that should help. $170,000 doesn't sound like a lot, but considering the cap is calculated daily, we essentially turned down $170,000 in injury relief/call-up.

OTOH, CapFriendly noted that maximizing that limit is incredibly difficult. Vancouver is the 1st & only team to actually reach their maximum limit, which they did today. They sent out a celebratory tweet & congratulations to Vancouver.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
With Slaf playing with Dvorak and Gallagher on the 3rd line it helps him start in the NHL with less pressure with 2 vets (and let Dach play himself with a vet instead of a rookie)

if he adjust and is adapting great and he stay with the team longer or for the whole year you can move him on the 2nd line when you feel he is ready and put hoffman on the 3rd so the 2nd line could be Slaf-Dach-Monahan.

Lines will obviously change if they need to but i hope the guys could develop some chemistry instead of bouncing them around.

Slower play of these 2 should also help Slaf and they could both use someone who can do zone entries / passes.

On paper it's a nice setup for Slaf to show he should get more then 9 games (and it mirrors Lecavalier's 1st year as a 3C).

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Toronto focused on developing the forwards and getting Tavares too.

Habs seem focused on developing the defence. That is crucial to future success.

If Barron or Mailloux, Guhle and Xhekaj can even come CLOSE to a Big Three of Glory Days, and guys like Harris can be the Bill Nyrop or Brian Engblom to complement, look out!

If they do not all pan out, we have about $15-$20M we can spend annually within two years on UFA studs to fill the gaps in our prospect pool.
The Habs have too little talent and not enough prospects at forward right now and that is despite finishing out of the playoffs in four of the last five years.

You're saying if three of our d-men become HoF level players it would be good -- yeah I'm sure it would be.

Losing has an inconsistent and unreliable ROI is what I'm saying --- you could lose and lose and lose and not have much to show for it when the rubber meets the road.

It's simply very frustrating to watch a team with so much deadweight. Dadanov, Drouin, Byron, Hoffman, Gallagher, Armia, Savard... with Monty as a 1B goaltender mon dieu this stinks. I hope this is resolved ASAP and those players replaced ASAP. Taking the long, scenic route will be painful.

Another irrelevant post. You are listing teams with incompetent management/owners. Pittsburgh had no problem, Chicago had no problem. Tampa had no problem. And it didn't hurt most of their players to tank for 2-3 years. The key factor is very competent management. HuGo is definitely that.

Forget your examples, what about MY even fewer, less relevant examples? Hmm?

Pittsburgh and Chicago were on the verge of bankruptcy and they sucked for a long time due to not spending on talent or facilities and they also benefited from the previous draft/lottery rules. The Habs will not likely see themselves in a similar position. Tampa is exceptional in many ways and is as irrelevant to the discussion as it gets.

The fact is that Toronto tanked and hasn't won a playoff round, they have two more years before Matthews leaves or re-ups and zero playoff run experience. Buffalo has had three tanks under one entire mega tank and are nowhere close to winning. Arizona isn't even a tank, it's a submarine - its where prospects go to die. Edmonton is cruelly wasting the prime of two of the best hockey players of our lifetimes because of their losing culture. Ottawa purposefully kept costs low and tanked and now they have loaded up on a team that is brittle and has very little playoff experience. Florida cut costs and tanked for years and are now scrambling to instill a winning environment before their terrific prospects spoil and rot.

Colorado was on the verge of the same thing, between picking up Duchene and MacKinnon and Cale Makar it was a long, long time.

In 2022, belief in losing for the sake of winning later is like believing in the good luck candy mountain.

Once the deadweight is jettisoned the Habs have to make shrewed moves and get rolling.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I wouldn't go so far as to compare it to the Finger-Sauer fiasco. That was a pretty epic & costly screw up.

I suspect Byron goes on LTIR soon, and that should help. $170,000 doesn't sound like a lot, but considering the cap is calculated daily, we essentially turned down $170,000 in injury relief/call-up.

OTOH, CapFriendly noted that maximizing that limit is incredibly difficult. Vancouver is the 1st & only team to actually reach their maximum limit, which they did today. They sent out a celebratory tweet & congratulations to Vancouver.
Getting it perfect is crazy, but it's not that difficult to come closer. I posted it repeatedly and even sent the suggestion to Renaud Lavoie and suggested he pass it on.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The Habs have too little talent and not enough prospects at forward right now and that is despite finishing out of the playoffs in four of the last five years.

You're saying if three of our d-men become HoF level players it would be good -- yeah I'm sure it would be.

Losing has an inconsistent and unreliable ROI is what I'm saying --- you could lose and lose and lose and not have much to show for it when the rubber meets the road.

It's simply very frustrating to watch a team with so much deadweight. Dadanov, Drouin, Byron, Hoffman, Gallagher, Armia, Savard... with Monty as a 1B goaltender mon dieu this stinks..............

In 2022, belief in losing for the sake of winning later is like believing in the good luck candy mountain.

Once the deadweight is jettisoned the Habs have to make shrewed moves and get rolling.
I agree. I posted a plan so I can at least be held accountable, and not just be like some posters here, criticizing every move but proposing very little.

We are not going to snap our fingers one day and flip a switch from LOSER mode to CONTENDER.

We can't expect to gather up prime prospects in Laval for two years and then come on the scene with 10 rookies at once. I posted a year by year outline bringing in 3-4 guys per year and flushing out 3-4 guys per year.

I gave reasonable development time to guys both before (in most cases) and after they hit the NHL.

I took into account that despite the most honest of hopes, not all of the prospects will hit the jackpot and suggested that we monitor the situation and spend some UFA dollars (which will be plenty as the deadwood is released) to fill the missing needs.

Importantly, the plan does not require us to win BOTH a multi-team race to the bottom AND a draft lottery as well, just to get competitive. But it does require FOCUS on the overall roster building and to not get bogged down into distractions like how to score a 25 year old suspect on waivers or get a ton more local guys into Laval.

Slafkovsky, Guhle and Xhekaj getting the chance to start developing against the best without expecting perfection or a playoff run this year is a really good start. Gorton, Hughes, MSL, Adam Nicholas and the whole operations asnd management teams have so much more work to do to keep the momentum going.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Edmonton is cruelly wasting the prime of two of the best hockey players of our lifetimes because of their losing culture.
They reached the conference finals last Spring. Their real problem wasn't a losing culture, it was that they never managed to develop/trade for good Ds or goalie since 2005.

I said it a while back, a rebuild last as long as it takes to get a top pair dmen and a good goalie.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Chicago aren't hiding their intention this season:

That's actually better than I thought for Montreal considering Guhle & Xhekaj are just turning pro, Harris & Kovacevic have 14 NHL games combined, and Savard missed a quarter of last season.

So Matheson & Wideman put up a vast majority of those points.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Anybody has a C note laying around?
could make a grand with loto Quebec
65242978-575A-437B-A5C0-F56DD7005B5C.jpeg

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It's a simple $170,000 error due to lack of imagination/competence. Reminds me when Gainey thought Spacek was 34 instead of 35, or the Leafs confused Jeff Finger with Kurt Sauer or Jon-Michael Liles.

Never understood how they choose Jaroslav Spacek before Francois Beauchemin

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Slaf had his best game with someone other than Dvorak at Center.

He plays best with Dach, or even Anderson. He plays better with speed on his line, as it opens up space he can utilize.

Don't like him with either Dvorak or Gallagher.

When are we going to get the Slaf - Dach - Anderson line?! I want to see it!

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
For roster management, if no more injuries at that point:

When Edmundson comes back, Xhekaj or Harris would be sent down.

It's getting a little more complicated when Armia comes back. It could be Slafkosvky or another player for waivers (Pezzetta, Hoffman, Dadonov or Drouin). Or the best would be a trade (Forward for d-man).

I would prefer trading a bad contract for another one... like Hoffman for a d-man. We will see.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
For roster management, if no more injuries at that point:

When Edmundson comes back, Xhekaj or Harris would be sent down.

It's getting a little more complicated when Armia comes back. It could be Slafkosvky or another player for waivers (Pezzetta, Hoffman, Dadonov or Drouin). Or the best would be a trade (Forward for d-man).

I would prefer trading a bad contract for another one... like Hoffman for a d-man. We will see.
Waiving Pezzetta is not a bid decision personally

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

This is a good article on the situation, albeit it still notes we left $300,000 on the table on Price's LTIR, but added performance bonus cushion because of the kids. They probably prioritized the $4.6m bonus cushion more over maximizing the entirety of Price's LTIR. Xhekaj got sent down because he put them over the cap & has no bonuses.

Reactions: Habs10Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad