HF Habs: 2023 Roster, Schedule & Standings Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Yeah keep up the 1st overall pick but don’t bother putting him on the PP. Really intelligent Marty.

I don't like those 5 forwards on the 2nd unit. Always liked Dvorak on the 1st unit. Let's see what Monahan can do.

Ideally I wouldn't have Anderson on the pp. But I do want to increase his trade value. So hopefully he picks up some points, while winning battles in the corner and screening the goalie in front of the net.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
1665508767189.png

nGs9CZw.gif

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don't like those 5 forwards on the 2nd unit. Always liked Dvorak on the 1st unit. Let's see what Monahan can do.

Ideally I wouldn't have Anderson on the pp. But I do want to increase his trade value. So hopefully he picks up some points, while winning battles in the corner and screening the goalie in front of the net.
5 forwards with most of them being awful defensively too. The awareness on that unit will be laughable. They will give up more scoring chances than they will create.

Reactions: Runner77

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Poor Dach on that 2nd unit. Good gawd .... :facepalm:
It's ridiculous. The attempt top balance our PP's with so litttle actual top end talent makes no sense. Load up the first wave. Why Wideman Why Wideman Why Wideman he blows. Holy Crap Marty get your shit together man if these are someone elses choices you'd better use your veto powers. How many times do we have to watch the same struggle over and over. It Doesn't Work.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
PP time needs to be earned and it also comes with enormous pressure to produce maybe they want to avoid unneeded pressure to start his career.
Yeah on a team that hasn't been producing anything on the PP in like forever. There is absolutely no reason and no pressure. Both Slaf and Guhle deserve a fair shot at PP time.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's ridiculous. The attempt top balance our PP's with so litttle actual top end talent makes no sense. Load up the first wave. Why Wideman Why Wideman Why Wideman he blows. Holy Crap Marty get your shit together man if these are someone elses choices you'd better use your veto powers. How many times do we have to watch the same struggle over and over. It Doesn't Work.
It’s one game. Lots can happen, once Marty figures out what works.

If the PP units were completely a Burrows concoction, then what more could we say.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019

At least there's a rational explanation for why Slaf isn't on there yet. I can accept it for a bit.

He is 18 it would too much pressure to put him in this situation right now

Why don't you just let it play out a bit? All the forwards need to get open and shoot more so give it time are you longing for the Cup this year or what? It going to be a long season if you are this hot before game 1.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
They are going to be mixing the PP up anyway. Got to let the coaches do their job, They know the chemistry with the players. Can everyone just take a breath?

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Decent PP units. Hoffman as a point man is important for the flow. Or in Suzuki spot on the second wave.

Slaf could work well in front of the net or on the line with is quick hands and passing abilities. But there's a time for everything.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I had the same thought.

Just put Dach on the 1st wave, remove Wideman and go with 5 forwards.

Don’t some teams have only one PP unit that they use for the whole PP? Maybe we should do that.
Yes. Separating your PP unit is like expecting failure.

It would be like separating any of Kucherov, Stamkos, Point and Hedman for the sake of having two balanced unit. Same with Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares.

Load up on PP1 to maximize your chances of scoring. If you can't, the 2nd unit just takes over whatever time is remaining basically.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He is 18 it would too much pressure to put him in this situation right now

Why don't you just let it play out a bit? All the forwards need to get open and shoot more so give it time are you longing for the Cup this year or what? It going to be a long season if you are this hot before game 1.
I'm all for the future and the future needs to be playing on special teams not the vets who have already failed.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Who gets the point on PP1? I don’t care at all about the train wreck that is PP2, but I’m curious about the scheme used by PP1. Umbrella up top I guess?

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
My concern with the tank this year is that everyone is expecting us to lose but give a good fight. Based on the level of hockey the rest of the league (and definetly our division) is playing vs what we’re doing out there, it doesn’t look like we’re going to be connecting much on plays as everyone learns. It’s going to be like watching 55 minutes of broken plays followed by 5 minutes of one of our youngsters doing something exemplary.
I’m fully into the tank but Im just saying that That’s a lot of frustrating matches for a little payoff this year.

I watched every game last year, not sure I’ll be doing the same again this year

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My concern with the tank this year is that everyone is expecting us to lose but give a good fight. Based on the level of hockey the rest of the league (and definetly our division) is playing vs what we’re doing out there, it doesn’t look like we’re going to be connecting much on plays as everyone learns. It’s going to be like watching 55 minutes of broken plays followed by 5 minutes of one of our youngsters doing something exemplary.
I’m fully into the tank but Im just saying that That’s a lot of frustrating matches for a little payoff this year.

I watched every game last year, not sure I’ll be doing the same again this year

I hear you. I just think it could be a franchise altering payoff at the end of the year, and will almost certainly be a huge payoff, even if not franchise altering. Next year isn't another Wright vs. Slafkovsky draft year.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
It is a fact that younger players shine more on the PP because the other team has less players meaning it’s easier to score… I don’t care if it’s the best or worst PP in the league, playing on the PP at 18 years old is considerably easier than 5v5.

I get the “confidence boost” etc but I much prefer to see Slaf on the 3rd line focusing on 5v5, positioning, board battles and not worry about producing on the PP.

If he stays with the Habs it’s not to shine or make HuGo look good, it’s to improve his play. It’s not like those PP units will last more then a month anyway.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I hear you. I just think it could be a franchise altering payoff at the end of the year, and will almost certainly be a huge payoff, even if not franchise altering. Next year isn't another Wright vs. Slafkovsky draft year.
I agree the payout is big. The pain will be real too though

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but its worth watching. Cole gets roasted throughout.

Cole’s the court jester… Didn’t know he would be unanimously voted MSL’s favourite. Helps to do well when the coach is 100% behind you.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I get the “confidence boost” etc but I much prefer to see Slaf on the 3rd line focusing on 5v5, positioning, board battles and not worry about producing on the PP.

If he stays with the Habs it’s not to shine or make HuGo look good, it’s to improve his play. It’s not like those PP units will last more then a month anyway.
I think some will find it strange because it's not the normal way things are done. Normally with young players, they are given highly sheltered mins. Followed by PP mins to keep their moral up. Personally I think MSL's way is interesting and shows me he's not wanting to overwhelm Slaf.

Reactions: jrom

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree the payout is big. The pain will be real too though

0nce Price and Weber went down we weren't going to be competitive. Better to bottom out and get gems for the future than finish around 20th in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad