HF Habs: 2023 Roster, Schedule & Standings Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
PP2 : Crap, Crap, Half-Crap, Dach, Crap.

I don't know what he did to deserve ending up with that much crap.

-The whole reason Hoffman has a career is his PP scoring. Its fair to question if he still has it (or even if he should be in the NHL), but PP is the only place he has ever had value.
-Gallagher was Montreal's 2nd best PP scorer last season and in the preseason.
-Dvorak has historically been a pretty decent PP scorer as well.
-Dach has been the least effective PP performer among everyone on that unit. Anderson is the only guy that does less on the PP counting both units (because he can't cycle to save his life).
Dach with three guys who shoot makes a lot of sense for a PP unit. Anderson on the 1st unit is the real question mark, but I bet its because MSL thinks he can teach him to be a more effective passer/playmaker and it keeps the 1st line together.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
-Gallagher was Montreal's 2nd best PP scorer last season and in the preseason.
That reads like a "tallest midget" kind of statement.

And, yeah, my issue was with guys not even deserving play being on the power play. Drouin being the 14th forward is consquent with how he looked, but in that case, Hoffman should be the 15th forward, not a PP fixture. Dadonov didn't exactly play like a guy who deserves a lineup spot either.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
That reads like a "tallest midget" kind of statement.

Ok? He's still been better on the PP than Dach. If not for Dadonov (who is rotating with Pitlick and who may only be there because Matheson is injured), Dach would be the worst PP guy on the unit.

Its a rebuild, no need to complain young guys are playing with players that have done and proven more.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This is a good article on the situation, albeit it still notes we left $300,000 on the table on Price's LTIR, but added performance bonus cushion because of the kids. They probably prioritized the $4.6m bonus cushion more over maximizing the entirety of Price's LTIR. Xhekaj got sent down because he put them over the cap & has no bonuses.

This may be the explanation I was miwssing.

The Guhle for Barron switch would not be as important as the cap hit difference is only $60k but the bonus difference is $180k in Guhle's favour.

With Mesar versus Harris, Harris' hit is $107,500 less but Harris haws over $500,000 in bonuses whereas Mesar actually has none.

Thank you for finding this and bringing it to my attention. So SOIR was a red herring, but Performance bonuses are a real thing to consider, if for example Farrell or Hutson sign and come up at year end.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Ok? He's still been better on the PP than Dach. If not for Dadonov (who is rotating with Pitlick and who may only be there because Matheson is injured), Dach would be the worst PP guy on the unit.

Its a rebuild, no need to complain young guys are playing with players that have done and proven more.

I have an issue with guys playing like they shouldn't even be in the NHL anymore in the first place.

(If that isn't obvious, this does not include Gallagher).

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Pretty dumb not to have Slaf on the PP. Also Dach on the 2nd unit makes no sense.

Caufield-Suzuki-Dach
Slafkovsky-Wideman

Should be our first unit

Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher/Dadonov
Matheson-Hoffman

Should be our 2nd unit

If this is Burrows making these lines then Marty has to interject, not like Burrows deserves the benefit of the doubt here.

First Line

Summer of Love
Aug 21, 2002
Laval
Pretty dumb not to have Slaf on the PP. Also Dach on the 2nd unit makes no sense.

Caufield-Suzuki-Dach
Slafkovsky-Wideman

Should be our first unit

Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher/Dadonov
Matheson-Hoffman

Should be our 2nd unit

If this is Burrows making these lines then Marty has to interject, not like Burrows deserves the benefit of the doubt here.
PP time needs to be earned and it also comes with enormous pressure to produce maybe they want to avoid unneeded pressure to start his career.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
PP time needs to be earned and it also comes with enormous pressure to produce maybe they want to avoid unneeded pressure to start his career.
He’s already going to be heavily sheltered at even strength, PP time should be his opportunity to shine

First Line

Summer of Love
Aug 21, 2002
Laval
He’s already going to be heavily sheltered at even strength, PP time should be his opportunity to shine
You think the Habs powerplay is somewhere players shine? What was it last year, 30th ranked powerplay in the league?
It’s not the opportunity of getting easy points that you make it seem to be.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You think the Habs powerplay is somewhere players shine? What was it last year, 30th ranked powerplay in the league?
It’s not the opportunity of getting easy points that you make it seem to be.
It is a fact that younger players shine more on the PP because the other team has less players meaning it’s easier to score… I don’t care if it’s the best or worst PP in the league, playing on the PP at 18 years old is considerably easier than 5v5.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I'd like to see Dach on the first PP unit, but I can recognize why they might want to split up Suzuki and Dach as I view the two of them as our best "organic" playmaking forwards.

I have a hard time watching Anderson on the PP. I'd rather have Slafkovksy or Evans out there instead.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
This may be the explanation I was miwssing.

The Guhle for Barron switch would not be as important as the cap hit difference is only $60k but the bonus difference is $180k in Guhle's favour.

With Mesar versus Harris, Harris' hit is $107,500 less but Harris haws over $500,000 in bonuses whereas Mesar actually has none.

Thank you for finding this and bringing it to my attention. So SOIR was a red herring, but Performance bonuses are a real thing to consider, if for example Farrell or Hutson sign and come up at year end.

Yeah for sure. If you have no bonus cushion the players with salaries & bonus, you get hit for it all if you're on LTIR. I forgot the Caufield fiasco. Lol

It makes sense now in terms of the bonuses.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I have an issue with guys playing like they shouldn't even be in the NHL anymore in the first place.

(If that isn't obvious, this does not include Gallagher).

By that measure, there are, like, 7 or 8 guys on the roster who should even be in the NHL.

Its a long season and winning games is not the goal. Who starts game one on the 2nd PP unit does not matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad