Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I am definitely partially correct. The list of ultra skilled possession monster wingers that play their off wing is a long one.
It absolutely is not a long list relative to strong side puck handlers but yes, there are plenty of examples over the years

I only stated that you were "entirely incorrect" because you used an absolute in saying that skilled puck handlers should always play on their off hand. This is clearly false as the vast majority play on their strong hand side and the reason for that is the one that I stated. I believe that the players that do conform to your philosophy do so because they are either left or right eye dominant depending on what side they are playing on and just don't see the game as well with their dominant eye on the outside of the play.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Imagine if Laine works out and produces as a top six forward; after the solid calibre of play that Monahan delivered.

The Canadiens would have received four seasons (combined) of top six play from Monahan and Laine, plus two first round draft picks, plus a 2nd round draft pick, plus anything they may get should they move Laine at next year's deadline; or extend him as a piece moving forward, and all for the price of Jordan Harris.
Makes you wonder why Bergevin thought he was smart for saving 9.2$m in cap space. 😅

An organization like the CH should be appalled at the decades long mishandling of their asset value.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
It absolutely is not a long list relative to strong side puck handlers but yes, there are plenty of examples over the years

I only stated that you were "entirely incorrect" because you used an absolute in saying that skilled puck handlers should always play on their off hand. This is clearly false as the vast majority play on their strong hand side and the reason for that is the one that I stated. I believe that the players that do conform to your philosophy do so because they are either left or right eye dominant depending on what side they are playing on and just don't see the game as well with their dominant eye on the outside of the play.

Your view is narrow-minded, especially as skaters continually improve their edge-work and the game embraces east-west play. The offensive zone advantages to playing off wing for the ultra skilled outweigh all disadvantages and perceived disadvantages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad