Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season - Red Sox-Yankees trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Sam Kennedy a nice guy is paid to take abuse and let Tom Werner and John Henry avoid facing the music.

I can’t stand Werner - if they get it together and win 90 games and advance in playoffs, or sign Ohtani he will be front and center. If they suck you only hear about him marrying some babe younger than his children. Then again he’s a handsome man :sarcasm:
But is Kennedy running this search? I have a hard time believing Werner/Henry are involved in interviewing Thad Levine, Neal Huntington, Craig Breslow. Maybe I'm wrong on that. I feel like they would only confirm the guy Sam Kennedy selects.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Cora has connections all over - his brother Joey is in the NL.

Just hire a GM like Breslow or Romero who he gets along with and knows the game, league, players and go from there

Always so many freakin layers with these guys

It used to be Henry - Lucchino- Theo- Francona

Everyone apparently likes Romero including Cora so stop the horse and pony show

It’s embarrassing

The Phillies - Texas WS would be a nice reminder how the Red Sox are a mess

Texas has prospects at 3B, C, CF, LF - international FA in RF and big time FA up the middle and pitching

A few traded guys as well - Lowe I think was

Phillies similar

They are carbon copies and have mega FA stars - Harper & Seager and very good ones like Semien & Realmuto

On and on

There is your F’in blueprint

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
If Milliken's tweet is accurate, there's an alternative scenario. The Sox hire Eddie as CBO and Breslow is GM. By all indications, Eddie works well with Cora, who has the ear of ownership and Kennedy. If Eddie is promoted, Cora's extension will follow before the start of the season.

I like Romero and have never read a bad word about him. That might be a good scenario. I am not familiar with their job descriptions, but do not like having a GM and a CBO. That's too many cooks. This organization is too bureaucratic to say the least. Just ask Bloom and O'Halloran and Bloom's 29 underlings.

Last edited:
Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
But is Kennedy running this search? I have a hard time believing Werner/Henry are involved in interviewing Thad Levine, Neal Huntington, Craig Breslow. Maybe I'm wrong on that. I feel like they would only confirm the guy Sam Kennedy selects.
I think you are correct - it’s likely it goes that way. Someone has to be point person and O’Halloran & Ferrera would have been on other side of table to start so is Kennedy the one setting this process up? He’s the team president but he can’t possibly make final call

In the end I hope it’s Phillies v Texas because they spend big and develop

Harper & Seager & DeGrom & Wheeler are a bit more shiny then a broken down Trevor Story

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Romero may not fit the mold of young wunderkind from Yale, but I like that he'd bring synergy with Cora and the on-field staff. That's been a big disconnect for a long time, even when we've won in spite of it at times.

I'm okay with that being the direction if it is the direction they take.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
I like Romero and have never read a bad word about him. That might be a good scenario. I am not familiar with their job descriptions, but do not like having a GM and a CBO. That's too many cooks. This organization is too bureaucratic to say the least. Just ask Bloom and O'Halloran and Bloom's 29 underlings.
Most MLB organizations are operated the same way. Doesn’t necessarily mean that’s a positive or negative. It depends on how the organization operates. As it relates to the Sox, the power seems to rest with the underlings who have been with the team for nearly 20 years, rather than with the CBO, who should wield the power and determine the front office team. If Henry, Werner and Kennedy want to keep Raq, BOH, etc., they should hire Eddie. If they want a top executive from outside the organization, they should hand the keys to the hire and give them autonomy.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Do you ever run across a stat and then be like "that can't be right", but it is?

I just read that Noah Syndergaard has 59 career wins. There was a window when he was considered one of the best arms in the game, so that seems shockingly low. But it is true, he only really had two years as an elite pitcher, then a big injury, two good years after that, then another big injury, and has been a back of the rotation journeyman since.

If someone asked how many wins I'd have assumed he'd have. I'd have put it in the over 100 range.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Most MLB organizations are operated the same way. Doesn’t necessarily mean that’s a positive or negative. It depends on how the organization operates. As it relates to the Sox, the power seems to rest with the underlings who have been with the team for nearly 20 years, rather than with the CBO, who should wield the power and determine the front office team. If Henry, Werner and Kennedy want to keep Raq, BOH, etc., they should hire Eddie. If they want a top executive from outside the organization, they should hand the keys to the hire and give them autonomy.
Thanks, I think Romero is in the cards, but given the bureaucracy and insularity, I am not sure that is best.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
IMG_2172.jpeg

:oops:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Do you ever run across a stat and then be like "that can't be right", but it is?

I just read that Noah Syndergaard has 59 career wins. There was a window when he was considered one of the best arms in the game, so that seems shockingly low. But it is true, he only really had two years as an elite pitcher, then a big injury, two good years after that, then another big injury, and has been a back of the rotation journeyman since.

If someone asked how many wins I'd have assumed he'd have. I'd have put it in the over 100 range.

Yup, had a couple of those recently on Immaculate Grid

Could've sworn Bonds had a 200 hit season (nope) or Clemens had a sub 3.00 ERA year in NY (also nope)

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Sam Kennedy, bumbling idiot. Just get this over with. Stop humiliating the franchise. You chose Cora and a ridiculous organizational structure. Own it, promote Romero and let's go.

Reactions: DKH

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think it's Sam Kennedy who's deciding that Cora has to be the manager and that Romero, Ferreira, and all of the other AGMs have jobs for life.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think it's Sam Kennedy who's deciding that Cora has to be the manager and that Romero, Ferreira, and all of the other AGMs have jobs for life.
Did you not say he is leading this search? If he's leading the search I would say yes he could convince ownership to move on from Cora if that's what he wanted. Unless this is his way of showing ownership what the industry thinks right now.

Why would John Henry and Tom Warner care about front office minions? To me the connection would be closer. To someone who allegedly runs the team like Sam Kennedy. Now if I am wrong I will blame the circus like configuration that makes it impossible to tell who is deciding what.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yup, had a couple of those recently on Immaculate Grid

Could've sworn Bonds had a 200 hit season (nope) or Clemens had a sub 3.00 ERA year in NY (also nope)
I've got burned a couple times on Duke Snider who hit 199 hits multiple times but never actually got to 200

Speaking of the grid, they've been introducing new categories. Today had a sub 3 ERA season and players who only played for one franchise. It allowed me to use
Drew Henson
for the Yankees.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I've got burned a couple times on Duke Snider who hit 199 hits multiple times but never actually got to 200

Speaking of the grid, they've been introducing new categories. Today had a sub 3 ERA season and players who only played for one franchise. It allowed me to use
Drew Henson
for the Yankees.

Nice

I used
Pettite
, which was surprisingly low at only 7%

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Nice

I used
Pettite
, which was surprisingly low at only 7%
Roy Smalley - Urban Shocker - Drew Henson
Jesse Orosco - Cy Young - Bob Lemon
Jeff Reardon - Max Scherzer- Steve Rogers

wouldve been an amazing rarity if I didnt answer too quickly and settled on Scherzer instead of thinking of another Expo or Nat pitcher

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Did you not say he is leading this search? If he's leading the search I would say yes he could convince ownership to move on from Cora if that's what he wanted. Unless this is his way of showing ownership what the industry thinks right now.

Why would John Henry and Tom Warner care about front office minions? To me the connection would be closer. To someone who allegedly runs the team like Sam Kennedy. Now if I am wrong I will blame the circus like configuration that makes it impossible to tell who is deciding what.
Just because Sam Kennedy is leading the search doesn't necessarily mean he has the authority to tell candidates that they can hire and fire whomever they want.

That sort of directive would have to come from ownership, no?

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Just because Sam Kennedy is leading the search doesn't necessarily mean he has the authority to tell candidates that they can hire and fire whomever they want.

It could be both. Sam is leading the search, but ownership likely established parameters. Those could include keeping Cora; however, Sam might be (and likely is) on the same page. It might also be a directive from Sam, and ownership doesn't have a strong opinion on the matter. My gut tells me Cora has the ear of both ownership and Sam.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

I don't think so. I just don't think John Henry and Tom Werner would care about front office minions like Eddie Romero and whoever else. That's just a guess of course though. But I suppose it's ownership that has a thing for Cora. Even that's unclear. I have no idea if Sam Kennedy has the power to pull the plug on Cora or not. I would hope that ownership would allow Kennedy to do that if he wanted to but this is all a mystery. Very typical of the Red Sox.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Thank god Ng declined. The Marlins post-season berth was purely based on luck, she turned a top 5 farm into a bottom 5 without making the team a true contender.

I really haven‘t seen many impressive names come up. Just go with Romero.

Reactions: DKH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad