Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season - Red Sox-Yankees trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It's also been pointed out in this thread that spending doesn't guarantee anything. Yankees, Mets, Padres, Angels. Further evidence that Dombrowski is a GREAT GM. He spends but knows how to construct a team. And when he wins this WS with his 3rd different team he will cement his legacy as one of the greatest executives the game has ever seen. That is a fact.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

Verdugo is a Gold Glove finalist.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
IMG_2769.png

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Can Soto play RF in Fenway?
(I know we’d be getting an elite hitter, but the idea of Masa in RF is scary)
It is a non-starter since he plays left like a blind man. Bowden is the worst "analyst" out there. I give it about a one percent chance. I think he goes to the Yanks. That Yanks rumor has been around since before mid-season.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Breslow:

He is currently the Assistant General Manager/Vice President, Director of Pitching for the Chicago Cubs

I would take the unknown of him as a lead guy over someone like Neal Huntington. If it is Breslow, it's the type of hire I expected. I despise that he's another Ivy League guy but at least he played the game. Seems like he could be a guy that strikes a balance between a Fangraphs nerd like Bloom and someone like Dombrowski.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Breslow:

He is currently the Assistant General Manager/Vice President, Director of Pitching for the Chicago Cubs

I would take the unknown of him as a lead guy over someone like Neal Huntington. If it is Breslow, it's the type of hire I expected. I despise that he's another Ivy League guy but at least he played the game. Seems like he could be a guy that strikes a balance between a Fangraphs nerd like Bloom and someone like Dombrowski.
No on Breslow. He is not experienced enough. I think they are throwing darts at this point. I wonder what fellow Yale man Ryan Lavarnway is doing? jk I desperately want to see someone experienced and successful enough to stand up to this ownership either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I was watching some of the 2004 ALCS earlier (specifically games 4 and 7), and something that isn't brought up enough in discussing that series is how Joe Torre uncharacteristically made a mess of things. In game 4, he left El Duque out to dry in the 5th when he was clearly gassed and gave up 3 runs he never should've. In game 7 Kevin Brown had nothing and loaded the bases in the 2nd, and instead of going to a reliever to get out of that inning and then put a starter in to long relieve from a fresh inning, he went right to Javier Vazquez with the bases loaded and Damon jumped on the first pitch for a grand slam.

Torre was very good, obviously, but Tito outmanaged him big-time that series.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
I remember Torre as player-manager of terrible Mets teams and mediocre to terrible Braves teams. He was very good with people, learned from mistakes, and was usually decisive, but not a great manager imo.

He generally leaned on his horses too much and did not always think ahead. He was very good not great. God bless him. He was just a New Yorker who was a good fit for the powerhouse Yankees. Tito managed rings around him in that series.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I remember Torre as player-manager of terrible Mets teams and mediocre to terrible Braves teams. He was very good with people, learned from mistakes, and was usually decisive, but not a great manager imo.

He generally leaned on his horses too much and did not always think ahead. He was very good not great. God bless him. He was just a New Yorker who was a good fit for the powerhouse Yankees. Tito managed rings around him in that series.
Great clubhouse guy, it takes a special kind of leader to juggle personalities like he did in the biggest market in the US for as long as he did. But not necessarily known as a tactician, he trusted his horses as you say, and he had some great horses. If there's one ingredient that that 2004 Yankee team desperately missed it was Andy Petitte, the consummate stopper in any playoff series they fell behind in.

Honestly though, by the end of the regular season that year, the Red Sox were the better team. It just took them until after the deadline to find themselves. Deeper bullpen, deeper lineup, specialized bench. Sox batters 1-9 were threats to hit, Yankees had a monster heart of the lineup but at the back of it they were relying on Ruben Sierra, Tony Clark, and Miguel Cairo. They were even using Kenny Lofton as a DH some of those games for inexplicable reasons. They didn't have Giambi that year due to injuries, they acquired Olerud but he broke his foot in game 3, and they really missed the depth that Nick Johnson gave them the year before.

Ultimately it was their 3rd/4th starters that flipped the series. Derek Lowe in the regular season was a ticking time bomb of anxiety. In the post-season he nutted up big time and gave you two huge starts in that series to save you. Kevin Brown had a very good regular season but slowly lost composure all year culminating in punching the wall and breaking his hand in September. He had a very bad ALCS and Torre probably should've started Vazquez or El Duque in game 7 given the pressure they were under.

Having watched those games again, I get the feeling that if in the 2nd inning of game 7 Torre went to a real reliever like a Quantrill or even Gordon to get out of that bases loaded jam, even if they tack on a run and make it 3-0, the Yanks probably would've chipped away at that lead like the year before and then could turn it over to Vazquez or Loaiza for long relief starting with a clean inning. But bringing in Vazquez in cold to work out of the stretch with the bases loaded, in hindsight not his best decision. Not that I'm complaining.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Great clubhouse guy, it takes a special kind of leader to juggle personalities like he did in the biggest market in the US for as long as he did. But not necessarily known as a tactician, he trusted his horses as you say, and he had some great horses. If there's one ingredient that that 2004 Yankee team desperately missed it was Andy Petitte, the consummate stopper in any playoff series they fell behind in.

Honestly though, by the end of the regular season that year, the Red Sox were the better team. It just took them until after the deadline to find themselves. Deeper bullpen, deeper lineup, specialized bench. Sox batters 1-9 were threats to hit, Yankees had a monster heart of the lineup but at the back of it they were relying on Ruben Sierra, Tony Clark, and Miguel Cairo. They were even using Kenny Lofton as a DH some of those games for inexplicable reasons. They didn't have Giambi that year due to injuries, they acquired Olerud but he broke his foot in game 3, and they really missed the depth that Nick Johnson gave them the year before.

Ultimately it was their 3rd/4th starters that flipped the series. Derek Lowe in the regular season was a ticking time bomb of anxiety. In the post-season he nutted up big time and gave you two huge starts in that series to save you. Kevin Brown had a very good regular season but slowly lost composure all year culminating in punching the wall and breaking his hand in September. He had a very bad ALCS and Torre probably should've started Vazquez or El Duque in game 7 given the pressure they were under.

Having watched those games again, I get the feeling that if in the 2nd inning of game 7 Torre went to a real reliever like a Quantrill or even Gordon to get out of that bases loaded jam, even if they tack on a run and make it 3-0, the Yanks probably would've chipped away at that lead like the year before and then could turn it over to Vazquez or Loaiza for long relief starting with a clean inning. But bringing in Vazquez in cold to work out of the stretch with the bases loaded, in hindsight not his best decision. Not that I'm complaining.

Great post and good recall. One quibble. Nick "I lived off being Larry Bowa's nephew" Johnson kinda sucked. Hence, he got traded and disappeared. Yeah I know, he was patient.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
No on Breslow. He is not experienced enough. I think they are throwing darts at this point. I wonder what fellow Yale man Ryan Lavarnway is doing? jk I desperately want to see someone experienced and successful enough to stand up to this ownership either way.
Ultimately I want better than a Breslow type but that doesn't look to be in the cards. So I can live with a Yale dork who actually played baseball. If he is on the same page with Alex Cora then I am willing to see how it goes. However, Sam Kennedy and Alex Cora should be firmly in the spotlight now. Despite the lack of interest in this job the farm system is solid and they have money to spend. This should be a playoff team by year two if not this upcoming year. They should not get as long a leash as Bloom got. If it goes south then Kennedy and Cora should be next guys to go.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Sean McDonagh was on WEEI yesterday- he’s friends with Hazen and said he’d be fantastic. However his wife recently passed from a battle of brain cancer and they have 4 children. They been in Arizona for awhile and ownership been very close to him I’ll add.

I don’t blame him on that alone for staying in Arizona- without even the Red Sox Black Widow reputation.

McDonagh also said Eddie Romero would be a great choice - smart guy knows baseball signed guys like Devers. I think he’s got a law degree

Stop the embarrassing charade and just hire him

Since Cora basically trashed Bloom by giving Eovoldi a tongue bath when they played Texas and mentioned Wacha as well - I’m assuming if he had say they would have kept both and not signed Kluber

They like the patriots need to stop hiding behind their trophies and get their shit together

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
FWIW, McAdam wrote this morning that Breslow seems more likely to be a candidate for GM rather than CBO.
How many freakin people/titles do we need? So they are working on hiring a GM and THEN still hiring a CBO? The whole thing is ass backwards. I keep hearing about all these people in the Red Sox organization that have been around forever yet none of them want or are capable of being the GM serving under a CBO? I will keep asking but what is Sam Kennedy doing? Guy seems like he's completely in over his head as to how to run the baseball team.

Reactions: DKH

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Ultimately I want better than a Breslow type but that doesn't look to be in the cards. So I can live with a Yale dork who actually played baseball. If he is on the same page with Alex Cora then I am willing to see how it goes. However, Sam Kennedy and Alex Cora should be firmly in the spotlight now. Despite the lack of interest in this job the farm system is solid and they have money to spend. This should be a playoff team by year two if not this upcoming year. They should not get as long a leash as Bloom got. If it goes south then Kennedy and Cora should be next guys to go.
I think Cora is gone after the year anyway...It certainly looks to be setting up that way with no contract extension and a mess of a team on paper.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
I think Cora is gone after the year anyway...It certainly looks to be setting up that way with no contract extension and a mess of a team on paper.
If Milliken's tweet is accurate, there's an alternative scenario. The Sox hire Eddie as CBO and Breslow is GM. By all indications, Eddie works well with Cora, who has the ear of ownership and Kennedy. If Eddie is promoted, Cora's extension will follow before the start of the season.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
How many freakin people/titles do we need? So they are working on hiring a GM and THEN still hiring a CBO? The whole thing is ass backwards. I keep hearing about all these people in the Red Sox organization that have been around forever yet none of them want or are capable of being the GM serving under a CBO? I will keep asking but what is Sam Kennedy doing? Guy seems like he's completely in over his head as to how to run the baseball team.
Sam Kennedy a nice guy is paid to take abuse and let Tom Werner and John Henry avoid facing the music.

I can’t stand Werner - if they get it together and win 90 games and advance in playoffs, or sign Ohtani he will be front and center. If they suck you only hear about him marrying some babe younger than his children. Then again he’s a handsome man :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad