Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think Lysell is going to end up being a great linemate for JD. Great in transition, plays with pace and more of a playmaking winger.

Like Zacha meshes well with Pasta, I can see Lysell and Debrusk eventually doing the same with a defensively responsible center in between.
I see them getting pushed around.

Reactions: Gordoff

pearljamvs5

Jun 19, 2011
It doesn't change the fact that he's more replaceable than some other "core" members. There are many Jake DeBrusks in the league. He doesn't bring anything all that special or unique.
The contract status is also an issue. He decided to rescind his trade request when ***he saw cup possibilities (and Cassidy was gone) ***
***he was able to deal with his own personal/mental challenges as a human during a worldwide pandemic as a 25 year old (and he was able to enjoy hockey again)***

Jake certain has a role as a core member of this team. If not, who, as of this moment takes over his responsibilities as a "core" member?

Oof...that original post is certainly a take. ::help::

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
***he was able to deal with his own personal/mental challenges as a human during a worldwide pandemic as a 25 year old (and he was able to enjoy hockey again)***

Jake certain has a role as a core member of this team. If not, who, as of this moment takes over his responsibilities as a "core" member?

Idk for me I’m not sure if Jake is a core members because if the opportunity arose tomorrow that he could be part of a package for a #1 center then I’d do that in a heart beat.

I guess it would depend on someone’s definition of a core member though.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Idk for me I’m not sure if Jake is a core members because if the opportunity arose tomorrow that he could be part of a package for a #1 center then I’d do that in a heart beat.

I guess it would depend on someone’s definition of a core member though.
Jake is a very good player. Although imo he's not a guy you build around but he's in the second tier and you need those players to complement your Marchand, Bergies and Pasta's. I also wouldn't be surprised if he tests the FA waters, as I don't believe his name would be bandied about here so much if he wasn't going to be an upcoming UFA.

His game has really taken off since getting the chance to play with Bergy and Marchand, but like you said if he can be moved in a package for #1 center its done or even a legit comparable number two. His contact status kind of puts Sweeney between a rock and Hard place, because he needs Debrusk on this team, but if he cant come to terms with him on a new contract, does he move him for the best possible return or ride out the season with him.

Reactions: GordonHowe

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Jake is a very good player. Although imo he's not a guy you build around but he's in the second tier and you need those players to complement your Marchand, Bergies and Pasta's. I also wouldn't be surprised if he tests the FA waters, as I don't believe his name would be bandied about here so much if he wasn't going to be an upcoming UFA.

His game has really taken off since getting the chance to play with Bergy and Marchand, but like you said if he can be moved in a package for #1 center its done or even a legit comparable number two. His contact status kind of puts Sweeney between a rock and Hard place, because he needs Debrusk on this team, but if he cant come to terms with him on a new contract, does he move him for the best possible return or ride out the season with him.
No contract inevitable, trade him for best available. Especially if it involves a #1 or 2 center.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
In December Jake scored 3 goals in 3 games (one each game)

In January 5 goals in 4 games (one 2 goal game)

In March 4 goals in 4 games (one each game)

Also scored on consecutive nights 3 other times

Bruins were 17-0-1 in those games.
Thanks looking that up and posting it. Seemed to me like Jake was a big part of the second-half run that season. The numbers you posted leave no doubt.

Last season was the turning point for me on Jake when it comes to thinking of him as a line driver. Not going to take the time to go through all the GDTs of last season, but there were plenty of games where the consensus was "thank goodness for Jake." He WAS driving that first line for plenty of games when the other guys on his line weren't at their best.

Now that Marchy will be closer to or at 100% it'll be interesting to see who drives what, but my feeling is that Jake gained a lot of confidence last season when he was shouldering more burden than he ever had in his career. My guess is that a fully healthy Marchy and a peaking Jake are going to be hell on wheels to play against, especially if Bergy comes back and that line stays intact.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022

It might be a "take" because DeBrusk is professional and classy enough to not vent publicly but you have to remember Cassidy had him dropped down the line up several times and if I remember correctly he even got benched briefly. He was not happy with what was happening. The fact that Cassidy was hard on some players is not an unknown thing.
He rescinded his trade request after he got put into the top end of the line up and got his ice time back. It's not that complicated to figure out.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Debrusk is great when he has someone to create for him and put the puck on his stick in space. We’ve seen it with krejci and now bergy/Marchand. However he’s severely struggled when he’s put into a spot where he has to create on his own like we saw with Coyle.

I think this is going to be a very interest boom or bust type contract situation for him this year and it will be interesting to see who his line mates will be if bergy isn’t back. But I think bergy comes back so he should be fine in that case

I believe Bergeron will, indeed, be back.

If Jake can't create offense, he can certainly drive to the net, clean up the garbage, and also score from beyond "the dirty areas."

If he has creative and intelligent linemates, he should score his share and be a valuable contributor to the Bruins.

Also, and don't overlook this, Jake seems like a sweet kid and a nice guy. He seems to be something of an extrovert in the locker room, an easy going type. That argues in his favor, too.

I hope he has a great year and if so, I hope Sweeney realizes what he has in this player.

I'm particularly interested to see if he can rack up both assists and goals on a relatively consistent basis.

With the right linemates, I want to see if the streakiness is a thing of the past.

Go Jake, go!

Thanks looking that up and posting it. Seemed to me like Jake was a big part of the second-half run that season. The numbers you posted leave no doubt.

Last season was the turning point for me on Jake when it comes to thinking of him as a line driver. Not going to take the time to go through all the GDTs of last season, but there were plenty of games where the consensus was "thank goodness for Jake." He WAS driving that first line for plenty of games when the other guys on his line weren't at their best.

Now that Marchy will be closer to or at 100% it'll be interesting to see who drives what, but my feeling is that Jake gained a lot of confidence last season when he was shouldering more burden than he ever had in his career. My guess is that a fully healthy Marchy and a peaking Jake are going to be hell on wheels to play against, especially if Bergy comes back and that line stays intact.

At 35, I don't know that we can count on Brad to ever return to "100%" after double hip surgery.

I'm sure he'll be very good, very driven, as always.

Let's see how it goes. I hope Jake can "drive the line" -- or at least drive to the net -- as he did last season.

I'm very much rooting for him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
There’s something weird about this whole thing

Slap Shots has been told the Bruins immediately terminated Miller’s contract in conjunction with their disassociation from him. There is, however, no record of the team placing him on unconditional waivers for the purpose of termination as required by the CBA. Then too, that regulation applies to mutually agreed termination, which this was not.

The NHLPA, in turn, filed a grievance.

We have learned that in lieu of a hearing, the parties reached a settlement under which Boston was released from its obligation while Miller received an unknown sum and was granted free agency

Seems kind of weird that they could dodge the cap hit penalty by paying him "off the books" to get him to agree to a contract termination.

Feels like it's against the spirit of the cba unless they were granted some special circumstances by the league.

(Assuming the Post is passing accurate information)

Interested to hear @EverettMike s take on this

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Seems kind of weird that they could dodge the cap hit penalty by paying him "off the books" to get him to agree to a contract termination.

Feels like it's against the spirit of the cba unless they were granted some special circumstances by the league.

Aside from the cap implications and (none as of now), it's pretty shitty the Bruins paid him for basically a PR shit show.

Undisclosed, probably a whole lot more than many average citizens are going to make in a good number of years combined.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

It's so weird I'm not sure if I believe it. Or at least whether it's 100% accurate.

But let's say it is: in what universe do they negotiate a deal that doesn't include them getting to announce they've parted ways? That would be insane. That would be gross negligence. (Which, yes, this entire affair has been.) The money, the roster spot, the cap hit all pale in comparison to the reputational damage of being associated with him and having listed as being part of the Bruins organization.

This story doesn't pass the smell test, so I'm not really getting worked up either way until we know more.

If though, we find out this a planted story to make them look better because they didn't want to lose the 200k cap space on the main roster then I'm going Defcon -37.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It's so weird I'm not sure if I believe it. Or at least whether it's 100% accurate.

But let's say it is: in what universe do they negotiate a deal that doesn't include them getting to announce they've parted ways? That would be insane. That would be gross negligence. (Which, yes, this entire affair has been.) The money, the roster spot, the cap hit all pale in comparison to the reputational damage of being associated with him and having listed as being part of the Bruins organization.

This story doesn't pass the smell test, so I'm not really getting worked up either way until we know more.

If though, we find out this a planted story to make them look better because they didn't want to lose the 200k cap space on the main roster then I'm going Defcon -37.

Yea it would go against everything they said if they purposely wanted to slide this under the rug. Doesn't sound like accountability.

Almost like they didn't want to ruin the momentum of their historic season by having this story enter the news cycle (again).

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yea it would go against everything they said if they purposely wanted to slide this under the rug. Doesn't sound like accountability.

Almost like they didn't want to ruin the momentum of their historic season by having this story enter the news cycle (again).
There’s no way this happens without league involvement in the biggest way. There’s something about this story - especially Eustace King - that has never added up, and looks like the league didn’t want that part of the story to be told.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Ya there’s something fishy about this story. For nothing the leak out from the league, team, Miller family, agents and most importantly the victims family then there must be something extremely fishy going on behind the scenes for this to be swept under the rug like this.

What exactly happened for all parties to agree to keep quiet for this long?

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
My best guess, since NHLPA was involved and post grievance approved - the Bruins paid him out more than his buyout to just go away.
Best for him, league, Bruins and Players Assoc.

Thats my guess.

Let’s just hope the Bruins/NHLPA/NHL didn’t sweep this under the rug without informing or including the victims family.

I hope they aren’t hearing about this for the first time as well right now too. Something isn’t sitting right about this situation.

Reactions: HustleB

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If Bergy is back with health the Division is Boston’s again.

What I don’t want is another President Trophy

Good news is both Carolina (especially) and Devils look like they are going after it

Ideally I’d like 6-8 seed but with Bergeron it’s basically Sweens running back the core of the pre trade deadline 44-8-5 team

The biggest change is Monty asking his staff and players for input

Maybe let him experiment late in the season and drop a few spots in seeding to start on road and lower expectations

The issue will be as JFresh model shows they are just to good

Regardless if they end up first again they need to learn from what happened

Having a winner and tough hard-nosed player like Looch will be helpful and you won’t see Sam Bennett or Radko Gudas pulling the extra shenanigans

Go Bruins !!!!

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
In situations like the Miller case, the NHLPA should make exceptions and allow teams to just cancel the contrct without any payment going to the player.
If the team signed him, and then after they signed him he did something... there's a remedy.

But the paper on Miller was out there for over a year, and the Bruins either had full knowledge, or didn't do their homework (which would've consisted of reading a single Athletic article))

No way the union should be in the habit of weakening every contract in the league because a front office didn't show the slightest interest in doing basic vetting. That's on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad