Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Is Pageau my first choice for replacement Krejci or Bergeron? NO.

I compared 5 year playoff performances, Debrusk/Pageau share similar point totals however Pageau far exceeded when it came to hits, block shots, and F/O %s on par with Bergeron. Pageau played pk, 2nd pp, and 3rd line center (I'm guessing Pageau matches regular season Debrusk point totals playing with a Bergeron/Marchand). The guy plays hard and is depended on in all critical situations...Debrusk can score goals but he's much closer to a 1 dimensional player.

Folk brushing off a one to one trade and dismissing Pageau's worth haven't watched him play. IMO I take Pageau over Debrusk. Highly doubt Islanders do a 1 for 1 trade knowing what Pageau brings to the team.
Islanders would be 100% in on a 1 for 1 trade with this. Then after it was complete they would laugh their asses off that Boston agreed to it.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Also... Of course DeBrusk has better numbers. Wahlstrom was PART of the return.

If they were a straight comp, the proposal would be one-for-one. In this deal, Wahlstrom is the sweetener.

Listen, I don't like this proposal Pageau for DeBrusk. But Pageau/Wahlstrom for DeBrusk? It's really not bad. I think Pageau is a lot better than some seem to believe around here. I take Pageau on my team any day, man. He is f***ing good and much more than his point totals.

I know this deal is pure fantasyland. But if I'm Sweeney and I gleam that DeBrusk's next contract is gonna likely start with a 7? And we're pretending this deal is on the table? I'm pulling the trigger.
If I'm the Bruins, and I have limited assets, no early picks, and a prospect pool that leaves much to be desired, Pageau would not be my choice for the center piece coming back.

EDIT: Misplaced punctuations and incomplete thoughts in the wrong place. As some liked to point out.

On the scale of 2-way centers from Chris Kelly to Bergeron, Pageau is much closer to the Kelly side of that spectrum than Bergeron. And while that's not a bad thing at all, limited cap space, limited assets, and I feel a high end #3C, low end #2C isn't the prize we should give our limited pieces for.

If Pageau (or a Pageau type) is the sweetener, that's fine, but not the main piece coming back. Pageau/Wahlstrom is just kinda meh for me.

Feels like a typical Bruins quality for quantity deal, where we end up with worse players in the deal.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

I compared 5 year playoff performances, Debrusk/Pageau share similar point totals however Pageau far exceeded when it came to hits, block shots, and F/O %s on par with Bergeron. Pageau played pk, 2nd pp, and 3rd line center (I'm guessing Pageau matches regular season Debrusk point totals playing with a Bergeron/Marchand). The guy plays hard and is depended on in all critical situations...Debrusk can score goals but he's much closer to a 1 dimensional player.

Folk brushing off a one to one trade and dismissing Pageau's worth haven't watched him play. IMO I take Pageau over Debrusk. Highly doubt Islanders do a 1 for 1 trade knowing what Pageau brings to the team.
It’s madness.

Pageau is making $5M for 3 more years and he’s 30. We don’t need another $5M center. He’s not a top six guy - he isn’t for the Islanders and he certainly wouldn’t be here. His defensive play is declining, and he’s got very little offensive pop.

No way in hell you trade a young goal scorer for that. His contract is basically a negative value now - and adding an underachieving one dimensional winger who may some day approach Debrusk offensively and never defensively is a bad bad idea.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008

I've watched Pageau play.

He's a good player.

He's a high end 3C, low end 2C though.

I just don't see why we should target that with the limited assets we have.

And while I don't expect the next Bergeron to be strolling through, Pageau, to me is just not the player/role we are missing.

1:1, there's no reason the Bruins should touch that, and I just don't see a realistic add that really makes me think it's a great idea.

Mad Dr Pepper

Jun 28, 2015
Quebec
Salsa Recipe

Prep5 minutes minutes
Ready in: 5 minutes minutes

Ingredients​

Instructions​

• Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse in 1 second bursts until all ingredients are finely chopped.
  • Serve with tortilla chips. Note that salsa always tastes best after it's been refrigerated for a few hours, so if time allows let the flavors marinate together before serving.
  • Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.

Notes​

• *Use best quality tomatoes or salsa will be lacking in flavor.
  • **Canned diced tomatoes with mild green chilis, or canned fire roasted tomatoes also work great as well.
  • ***For a slightly stronger onion flavor you can just omit green onions and use about 3/4 cup red onion (or 1/2 of a medium onion).
  • ****You can leave the seeds or use a serrano pepper for a spicy salsa. Sometimes I like to substitute a few canned chipotle peppers with some adobo sauce for the jalapeno. This is also a spicier option.
  • Another tasty addition is to include 1/2 bell pepper, or 1 poblano or Anaheim pepper.
  • For a thinner salsa, you can add in a bit of tomato juice or tomato sauce if desired.
You know what?

This might just do the trick! Haha thanks!

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I think JVR will be better with the bruins better group around. I think Bergy will be back but not trading Jake for Pageau. Think they could do much better if they had to move Jake
I'll eat a frozen pizza out of a pizza box uncooked if Donny trades jake for pageau with nothing else coming back. No friggin way this will happen book it! Twice!

Reactions: StonedZboril

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

Debrusk plays PP, PK, and is a very good 5v5 defender on top of being a goal scorer, that is the opposite of a one dimensional player. You're saying we haven't watched Pageau, but I'm starting to think you might've had your eyes closed every time Debrusk was on the ice this season.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Nope. What we have is Bergeron himself coming out and saying his dad had nothing to do with it.
I mean if his dad was sick and there. Would he tell us the truth. That is very much in the gray area. In his mind he says I’m playing no matter what. I doubt Monty got that same vibe pre game. I mean to each their own on that one. It is all ambiguous to me at this time.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If I'm the Bruins, and I have limited assets, no early picks, and a prospect pool that leaves much to be desired.

Pageau would not be my choice for the center piece coming back.

On the scale of 2-way centers from Chris Kelly to Bergeron, Pageau is much closer to the Kelly side of that spectrum than Bergeron. And while that's not a bad thing at all, limited cap space, limited assets, and I feel a high end #3C, low end #2C isn't the prize we should give our limited pieces for.

If Pageau (or a Pageau type) is the sweetener, that's fine, but not the main piece coming back. Pageau/Wahlstrom is just kinda meh for me.

Feels like a typical Bruins quality for quantity deal, where we end up with worse players in the deal.

First of all, your first sentence is not a sentence.

Second, no big revelation there. Pageau is not close to a first ballot Hall of Fame player like Bergeron. Good luck getting one of those by trading Debrusk straight up.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I've watched Pageau play.

He's a good player.

He's a high end 3C, low end 2C though.

I just don't see why we should target that with the limited assets we have.

And while I don't expect the next Bergeron to be strolling through, Pageau, to me is just not the player/role we are missing.

1:1, there's no reason the Bruins should touch that, and I just don't see a realistic add that really makes me think it's a great idea.
If we were to approach this deal then I really think Pageau has to be retained. The idea would be we get futures and cap they get the elite young star winger entering his prime. Like you I couldn’t put together anything I felt helped both teams. Maybe I just like JDB too much.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I mean if his dad was sick and there. Would he tell us the truth. That is very much in the gray area. In his mind he says I’m playing no matter what. I doubt Monty got that same vibe pre game. I mean to each their own on that one. It is all ambiguous to me at this time.

His quote was unambiguous and matter-of-fact. He even pointed out everyone else played that game to show there was nothing special about him playing.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
His quote was unambiguous and matter-of-fact. He even pointed out everyone else played that game to show there was nothing special about him playing.
Everyone else wasn’t a 35+ 1st line center playing heavy minutes. It’s fine that I don’t take that quote as seriously as you do. That’s not changing.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
First of all, your first sentence is not a sentence.

Second, no big revelation there. Pageau is not close to a first ballot Hall of Fame player like Bergeron. Good luck getting one of those by trading Debrusk straight up.
Thanks for grammar lesson, I'll go back and change it, bad typing and train of thought on a phone.

I agree, we aren't getting that by trading Debrusk alone.

But then why trade Debrusk for a non-needed piece. Bundle him in a package. Or get straight futures and bundle those. I'm not expecting Bergeron, but I am expecting a little more than a slightly better version of Chris Kelly.

Either way, Pageau wouldn't be my target.

Last edited:

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Also, to quell any more discussion on the topic, out of all forwards who played 1000+ minutes (so not a statistical outlier like say Biz) Jake was 28th in goals per 60 minutes at 1.51 goals per 60.

Ahead of guys like Matthew Tkachuk, Laine, Stutzle, Crosby, and Kreider.

Is that good???

Reactions: bbfan419

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Debrusk plays PP, PK, and is a very good 5v5 defender on top of being a goal scorer, that is the opposite of a one dimensional player. You're saying we haven't watched Pageau, but I'm starting to think you might've had your eyes closed every time Debrusk was on the ice this season.
Valid point...

Per Chizz I'm moving on.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I've wanted Zadorov here for years. Honestly, though, a lot of that desire was based on projecting his game to improve.

Right now, he's a 12 foot tall Clifton. That's clearly not worthless, but it really shouldn't cost you $20m+.
I don't know Graves averaged .35 points per game over the last two years with 20 mins of TOI and Zadorov averaged .28 with about 18 mins of TOI.

Zadorov is going to hit FA a year older than Graves thats why I can see him getting maybe one less year in term but I think he is probably going to get a similar aav all things considered.
This upcoming year will obviously determine more for him.

But ultimately my point being is that he is going to cost less than Hanifin and fills a dynamic of the defense that is much more needed.

Also Zadorov had more goals this year than Clifton has had in his entire career...just saying

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I am not sure Monty has any confidence in Lauko

He dressed him over Frederic game 5 but after bumbling a two on none break with Nosek, and getting 2 minor penalties one that led to Florida third goal - after 7 minutes he was done

Sweens is running it back if Bergeron is back - he’s added better veterans and Lauko, Clifton and even Freddy he bailed on could all be gone

Lauko days seen numbered

One thing that I really like about you DKH is I legitimately never know if you are being sarcastic or not. There’s dozens of times I think you are being sarcastic and you aren’t and vice versa.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
One thing that I really like about you DKH is I legitimately never know if you are being sarcastic or not. There’s dozens of times I think you are being sarcastic and you aren’t and vice versa.
We don’t always agree but I really enjoy and like you

We agree on this

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Think they might have a deal in their back pocket when/if negotiating with Frederic breaks down.
Monty scratching game 5 and 7 was a confidence killer - especially after Frederic was even in the two games in Florida and they win both

Lauko goes in for 7:24 and gets 4 minutes in penalties including a Tkachuk bait job that 30 seconds in was a Reinhart PP goal

They go to arbitration and Sweens & Goldie take him apart like a Cosco chicken- he’s done here

Boqvist slides in and Frederic + sent to Calgary for Hanny

Reactions: Blowfish

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Thanks for grammar lesson, I'll go back and change it, bad typing and train of thought on a phone.

I agree, we aren't getting that by trading Debrusk alone.

But then why trade Debrusk for a non-needed piece. Bundle him in a package. Or get straight futures and bundle those. I'm not expecting Bergeron, but I am expecting a little more than a slightly better version of Chris Kelly.

Either way, Pageau wouldn't be my target.

Oddly, Pageau and Kelly have the exact same amount of career points (219).

But Pageau has played 209 less game.

In the playoffs Pageau is much better also. He's even better than Debrusk in playoffs.

You may be underrating Pageau a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad