Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That may not be that bad a trade.

Have always liked Pageau as an all-around player. Wahlstrom has as much potential as Jake did at the same age.

Both Wahlstrom & DeBrusk through their Age 22 season

Wahlstrom - 152 GP / 32G / 29A / 0.40 PGP
DeBrusk - 138 GP / 43G / 43A / 0.61 PGP

I think Wahlstrom has potential, but he doesn't have the potential that DeBrusk did at the same age.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

I think Wahlstrom has potential, but he doesn't have the potential that DeBrusk did at the same age.
Also talk about a one dimensional player…

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I don't think it's fair to Wahlstrom to compare his development to Debrusk.

His age 19 season was the shortened Covid year (2020). As was his age 20 season. About 100 games spread over two messed up seasons and 3 different leagues (including Europe). Limited access to facilities at times to train. We could go on and on but I'd rather not rehash Covid. The point is, I think comparing their early years is apples and oranges.

The fact that Wahlstrom's production isn't that far off what Debrusk's was at the same age is impressive.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'll text you our Venmo just so you're prepared. Annual dues must be paid in full on the date you join, along with your themed HF avatar submission.
I’m fine giving the founder a few dollars (I wouldn’t respect him if he didn’t have multiple homes and mistress) as long as I don’t have to read stuff- and recruiting is out

Anti Sweeney & Bloom seem interesting but I could get stuck with quietbruinfan fan at a retreat not sure I could handle

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If you believe that, then there's an obvious flaw.

If Monty doesn't blow game 5, then he blows a game further on down the line. If he's a bad coach, he's a bad coach. If he was overwhelmed by the moment, when he was up 3 games to 1 in the first round, he's going to be overwhelmed in the 2nd rd or beyond.

No no no.. in order for this fan fiction to work, you have to go back to the source of the problem. In this case your point of divergence HAS to be:

Don doesn't hire Monty. He does a better job of vetting (which we know is a flaw in their organization since they hired an outside law office to critique their process) and hires a better coach and not one that was canned by another organization.

Do that and they win the Cup.

So the real culprit here is the GM.

Better GM--> Bettter Coach --> No bad line decisions

EDIT: BTW I'm not saying they should have or should now fire Sweeney. I'm saying that if you think the thing that literally caused the greatest team in NHL history to lose in the 1st rd is the coach (and I don't believe that, he was a factor, but not the sole cause)... then yeah you'd have to look at the guy who hired him.
I 100 % Monty cost them that series

Cassidy wins in 5

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Game 5 Monty Lines lasted only 12 minutes but they were losing and outshot 8-3

Here per NESN is what then happened

Self-inflicted wounds
The Bruins by just about every metric, except the score, dominated the hockey game. Boston attempted an insane 91 shots (compared to Florida’s 47) with 47 of those getting to the net. The B’s had 38 scoring chances with 15 high-danger chances at five-on-five with an expected-goal total of 3.1 to just 1.8 for Florida. According to MoneyPuck.com’s “deserve to win meter,” if you simulate that game 1,000 times, the Bruins win 71.3% of the time.

Reactions: Serge

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I’m fine giving the founder a few dollars (I wouldn’t respect him if he didn’t have multiple homes and mistress) as long as I don’t have to read stuff- and recruiting is out

Anti Sweeney & Bloom seem interesting but I could get stuck with quietbruinfan fan at a retreat not sure I could handle

Anti-Sweeney & Bloom is a different group. We couldn't agree on a charter, so they split off. It was like the Great Schism, but worse. We even had to cut the annual retreat.

• Love
Reactions: quietbruinfan

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
There's 8 dmen on the roster currently? Why would we need to replace him?
That’s a fair point, but then you are looking at Zboril being an every day player. I’m not comfortable with that, but that’s my opinion.

They could also demote Shattenkirk, Zboril, or Mitchell for essentially the same cap benefit without having a penalty like they would with Forbort. Mitchell would yield the least relief of course.

My opinion on this? I believe they like Forbort, or at the very least don’t believe there is anyone in the system currently ready to step into that role on the left side. Buying him out was an option, but they also need to ice a team and I don’t think they had the stomach to buy out two players this off-season.

Does Lohrei have a good camp and push him out? Potentially that could happen. Does Zboril push him out? Possible. There will be competition and that is great, but right now I believe they think he’s more valuable to them at this moment than being in Providence.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Monty made mistakes but he’s a good person and coach and deserves another opportunity

He should bounce major changes at crucial times off his assistant coaches, GM, and letter wrearing players

Acting alone or consulting only family is not something that gets you hired

Focus for game 5 should not have been on seeing how lines look but winning
I love everything about Monty. He gets another crack at it. I think we will see just how good a coach he is with a lesser line up. Unfortunately with that line up we had Stanley cups dancing in out heads, and rightfully so.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Ithe

Bertuzzi served up pizza foy -1 game 5

I’m not a big +/- guy or stats guy

Even though hough my Math SAT was in the top 20% I am like Burkie and Sweens we rely on years of watching playing and coaching and will use stats here and there
This was more about Florida than Boston to me. Tkachuk was the best player in the world. Bennet was better than any Bruin and goalie Bob came in and stole the show.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That’s a fair point, but then you are looking at Zboril being an every day player. I’m not comfortable with that, but that’s my opinion.

They could also demote Shattenkirk, Zboril, or Mitchell for essentially the same cap benefit without having a penalty like they would with Forbort. Mitchell would yield the least relief of course.

My opinion on this? I believe they like Forbort, or at the very least don’t believe there is anyone in the system currently ready to step into that role on the left side. Buying him out was an option, but they also need to ice a team and I don’t think they had the stomach to buy out two players this off-season.

Does Lohrei have a good camp and push him out? Potentially that could happen. Does Zboril push him out? Possible. There will be competition and that is great, but right now I believe they think he’s more valuable to them at this moment than being in Providence.

Lorhei is would be trying to push Gryz out of the lineup more than Forbort based on how they like to use Forbort. If you bring in a Hanifin then you kinda half to play Lorhei and I think your pairing look like:

Hanifin McAvoy
Lindholm Shattenkirk
Lorhei Carlo

Which is kind of insane. 1st + Frederic + Lysell to Calgary and then move Gryz and Forbort for whatever you can get leaves you room for Bergeron, too…and then just hope a center makes it to UFA cuz you have no assets to trade!

Lorhei is would be trying to push Gryz out of the lineup more than Forbort based on how they like to use Forbort. If you bring in a Hanifin then you kinda half to play Lorhei and I think your pairing look like:

Hanifin McAvoy
Lindholm Shattenkirk
Lorhei Carlo

Which is kind of insane. 1st + Frederic + Lysell to Calgary and then move Gryz and Forbort for whatever you can get leaves you room for Bergeron, too…and then just hope a center makes it to UFA cuz you have no assets to trade!

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
There's 8 dmen on the roster currently? Why would we need to replace him?
I'd say there is really "nobody" on the roster right now. Things like Capfriendly are just putting rosters together with guys under contract and guessing. If you look at them they only have 12 F (2 of whom are Greer and Megna) and 8 D. That's not including Frederic or Bergeron.

We have to assume they'll have 13F and 7 D with 1 other roster spot that might go unfilled or might be a 14th F or might be an 8th D.

Using the guys on Capfriendly, sub in Frederic and Bergeron for Megna and Greer, waive and demote Forbort, add Lauko as the 13th F. You can look at it as Lauko replacing Forbort on the roster if you want with Mitchell as the 7th D. But most likely if Forbort is waived someone else is taking a spot on the roster.

Reactions: Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
This was more about Florida than Boston to me. Tkachuk was the best player in the world. Bennet was better than any Bruin and goalie Bob came in and stole the show.
Bennet was invisible against the bruins. His coming out party was against Toronto.

I wonder if any of the new defence he got for hall crack the roster. It’s hard to follow players from the west.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Bennet was invisible against the bruins. His coming out party was against Toronto.

I wonder if any of the new defence he got for hall crack the roster. It’s hard to follow players from the west.
Given he played for Montgomery at the university of Denver, and has some puck moving ability, I bet Mitchell has a real shot at being our sixth defenseman.

Reactions: Gordoff and Kegs

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I would take Zadorov over Hanifin considering the state of the defense

Hanifin is obviously the superior player but he is probably going to get Lindholm money on his next deal and I think Lohrei projects as a similar type of player.

Zadorov would provide the size and physicality needed in the top four and I could see him getting something like what Ryan Graves just got at 4.5 over 5/6 years. He can play both sides too.

Zadorov McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Lohrei xxx

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Anti-Sweeney & Bloom is a different group. We couldn't agree on a charter, so they split off. It was like the Great Schism, but worse. We even had to cut the annual retreat.
As a member of both groups, you could not be more right. Henry and Bloom make me angrier than Sweneely. Yet, I probably should confess my angry thoughts several of Sweneely's moves have caused. ...(I am not even Catholic and still feel I should confess lol.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I would take Zadorov over Hanifin considering the state of the defense

Hanifin is obviously the superior player but he is probably going to get Lindholm money on his next deal and I think Lohrei projects as a similar type of player.

Zadorov would provide the size and physicality needed in the top four and I could see him getting something like what Ryan Graves just got at 4.5 over 5/6 years. He can play both sides too.

Zadorov McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Lohrei xxx
I love me some zaforov not going to lie. He hits like a freight train. Violent and hard. Love this player. I’m with you. I’d happily take zadorov.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'm gonna ignore all the Gryz talk cause it's getting tiring at this point, but I've been doing a deep dive into some other stuff cause a lot of the talk on here got me curious into the way we deployed the defense, and I'm BIG mad at Monty again.

So when we first acquired Orlov one of the reasons I was so excited was cause I thought it would allow Monty to follow the Tampa blueprint. With them it was Hedman, Sergachev, and Mcdonaugh. They split those three into three separate pairings and would have at least one of them on the ice basically every minute of every single game come playoffs. Crazy stat, but according to natural stat trick from the start of their first cup run in 2020 to their last game against the Avs in 2022 they played 71 playoff games. And in those games they had 67 TOTAL minutes at 5v5 played without any of Hedman, McDonaugh, or Sergachev on the ice. 67 minutes in 71 games, good for an average of 56 seconds a game.

Contrast that to the way the bruins chose to deploy their defense, in just 7 games the bruins had 59 minutes at 5v5 without any of McAvoy, Orlov, or Lindholm. Which is about 8.5 minutes a game. Also for reference, here are the stats in those 59 minutes: 1 GF, 5GA, 32% xGF%. They got caved in.

The blueprint on how to run the defense was right there, Tampa had just went to 3 straight cups with it, and Monty decided to take light it on fire.
Don’t worry. B’s are done for the summer. After the arbitration, it’s camp time. All teams are pretty much set.

Reactions: Dr Quincy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad