2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
3 weeks ago, the discussion on this board was who is better between Zach Benson and Will Smith and it was close to 50/50

Now Will Smith is better the Leo Carlsson ? Something isn't working...
Most of the board values the public rankings more than anything and then can't wrap head around final rankings from actual scouts.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Typical late season hype from people who watch a few highlights/ a game or two/tournaments.
I can understand for a player like Dvorsky who was one of the only good player in his team and face teams like Canada/Sweden/Czechia or for euro player that had minor role with there teams and they show what they can do in a bigger role.

But changing your evaluation on a player that was in a REALLY weak group with a stack team with line mates he already have a chemistry with is more difficult to understand for me. I can understand that someone prefer Smith to Benson after the U18 since they are close (I was Benson 100 % before the U18 and I'm now asking me questions) but not surpasse player that where rank in a higher tier.

Reactions: atrud66 and Mrb1p

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
3 weeks ago, the discussion on this board was who is better between Zach Benson and Will Smith and it was close to 50/50

Now Will Smith is better the Leo Carlsson ? Something isn't working...
I think this is the echo chamber effect, the same people giving their opinions on the same players about 5 times a day. To me, it has never been close between Benson and Smith. Smith is one tier above. I'd even draft Leonard before Benson.

Benson is on the same category as Yager, Dvorsky, Barlow, Moore. All very good prospects, but not top 5.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I can understand for a player like Dvorsky who was one of the only good player in his team and face teams like Canada/Sweden/Czechia or for euro player that had minor role with there teams and they show what they can do in a bigger role.

But changing your evaluation on a player that was in a REALLY weak group with a stack team with line mates he already have a chemistry with is more difficult to understand for me
Vachon...the impressive thing about Dvorsky is that he had little to work with his Slovakian teammates...he was the only threat on the ice. He enjoyed watching his compete level.
You could win cups with guys like Dvorsky!!!

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think this is the echo chamber effect, the same people giving their opinions on the same players about 5 times a day. To me, it has never been close between Benson and Smith. Smith is one tier above. I'd even draft Leonard before Benson.

Benson is on the same category as Yager, Dvorsky, Barlow, Moore. All very good prospects, but not top 5.
We won't agree on that, I have Benson and Smith in the same tier and I'm still not sure which one I would take with the 5th pick.

Vachon...the impressive thing about Dvorsky is that he had little to work with his Slovakian teammates...he was the only threat on the ice. He enjoyed watching his compete level.
You could win cups with guys like Dvorsky!!!
He's the player that impress me the most at the U18. I still have Smith/Benson/Reinbacher before him but he wasn't in my top 10 before the U18 and he's now in

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
What's everyone's predictions for Bob McKenzie's top 12 list tomorrow?

I'm going with:
1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Michkov
4. Carlsson
5. Smith
6. Dvorsky
7. Leonard
8. Reinbacher
9. Benson
10. Wood
11. Sale
12. Sandin-Pellikka

Reactions: phillytennis

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

I'm going with:
1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Michkov
4. Carlsson
5. Smith
6. Dvorsky
7. Leonard
8. Reinbacher
9. Benson
10. Wood
11. Sale
12. Sandin-Pellikka
1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Smith
4. Carlsson
5. Michkov
6. Leonard
7. Perreault
8. Reinbacher
9. Dvorsky
10. Benson
11. Sale
12. Sandin-Pellikka

Reactions: BergevinBurner

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012

I'm going with:
1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Michkov
4. Carlsson
5. Smith
6. Dvorsky
7. Leonard
8. Reinbacher
9. Benson
10. Wood
11. Sale
12. Sandin-Pellikka
Great list...except I have Carlsson ahead of Michkov...only pick Michkov if he's at the draft...otherwise, use our 2nd first round pick to draft him.

Reactions: BergevinBurner

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Wasn't sure if Mike Modano was physical

Hope he can have the same type of career, especially if he have the 2nd pick OA !
He got better at it, by the time the Stars were a cup winning team he had become a serviceable two way player. It did help that he had Jere Lehtinen on his wing. Having Brett Hull on his OTHER wing did cancel that quite a bit though :laugh: Hitchcock managed to get Hull to try a bit harder for a while but he was never much of a defensive presence and hitting definitely wasn't a big part of his repertoire.

Last edited:
Reactions: WinterLion

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It's striking to me how little flack Fantilli is getting, approaching the level of Byfield in terms of an unchallenged ranking on this board.

I don't think Fantilli is Byfield, Byfield had a much bigger IQ problem. But I think there is some commonality between these 2. Thus far Byfield is not top 10 in his draft in terms of usefulness

Surely more useful thus far:
Laf
Stutzle
Raymond
Sanderson
Drysdale
Mercer
Guhle
Schneider
Jarvis

Maybe:
Quinn
Holtz
Perfetti

1683238303293.png

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
It's striking to me how little flack Fantilli is getting, approaching the level of Byfield in terms of an unchallenged ranking on this board.

I don't think Fantilli is Byfield, Byfield had a much bigger IQ problem. But I think there is some commonality between these 2. Thus far Byfield is not top 10 in his draft in terms of usefulness

Surely more useful thus far:
Laf
Stutzle
Raymond
Sanderson
Drysdale
Mercer
Guhle
Schneider
Jarvis

Maybe:
Quinn
Holtz
Perfetti

View attachment 702894
It's not far fetched that we end up with the best dman from that draft. Pretty cool. Also shows why we need to hold on to the FLA pick if they lose to the Leafs.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
For those who have seen prime Mike Modano, is the comparaison between Adam Fantilli and Modano is a good one ? I've heard that comparaison multiple times

It is exactly the comparison that I made.

Modano was a big guy with great wheels and silky mitts who played like most smaller speed demons play, much like Fantilli. I think Fantilli has a little more bite to his game than Modano had and Modano may have been a little more cerebral. No two players are the same but these two have a lot in common

Reactions: Paddy17 and JAVO16

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It's not far fetched that we end up with the best dman from that draft. Pretty cool. Also shows why we need to hold on to the FLA pick if they lose to the Leafs.

Guhle is not really close to Drysdale and I suspect Sanderson will progress rapidly. Not to talk about the forever debate Guhle vs. Schneider.
I think it's more, the 2020 Ds were very good and should have been drafted earlier.

It is exactly the comparison that I made.

Modano was a big guy with great wheels and silky mitts who played like most smaller speed demons play, much like Fantilli. I think Fantilli has a little more bite to his game than Modano had and Modano may have been a little more cerebral. No two players are the same but these two have a lot in common

It's a good comparison, IF Fantilli works on his skating (3 first steps)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Guhle is not really close to Drysdale and I suspect Sanderson will progress rapidly. Not to talk about the forever debate Guhle vs. Schneider.
I think it's more, the 2020 Ds were very good and should have been drafted earlier.

It's a good comparison, IF Fantilli works on his skating (3 first steps)

I don't see any problem at all with Fantilli's skating. If he isn't the best skater in the draft he is close.

Reactions: SlafySZN

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
He got better at it, by the time the Stars were a cup winning team he had become a serviceable two way player. It did help that he had Jere Lehtinen on his wing. Having Brett Hull on his OTHER wing did cancel that quite a bit though :laugh: Hitchcock managed to get Hull to try a bit harder for a while but he was never much of a defensive presence and hitting definitely wasn't a big part of his repertoire.
Mike Modano was great playing as a member of the Minnesota North Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad