GDT: 2023 NHL ENTRY DRAFT June 28 and 29. First round and then rounds 2-7. (ESPN, NHL network, SN, TVA sports 4pm and 8am Pacific Time)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Pretty decently excited about Halttunen, and Svoboda is just a long term project that felt like he would be available later, but maybe they knew he wouldn't. Wouldn't be my pick but seems like a nice enough dude.

Halttunen's interview was great. Super excited about joining the Sharks
Halttunen is a joy of a kid. I loved his photos and interviews at the combine.

Reactions: Alaskanice

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
IMG_9408.jpeg

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Pretty decently excited about Halttunen, and Svoboda is just a long term project that felt like he would be available later, but maybe they knew he wouldn't. Wouldn't be my pick but seems like a nice enough dude.

Halttunen's interview was great. Super excited about joining the Sharks
MGMG was looking someone to clean up the garbage in front of the net and he found a "Finisher" in Halttunen. His goals are not pretty because he is always in front of the net. We'll see if this translate in the higher levels AHL and NHL.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
MGMG was looking someone to clean up the garbage in front of the net and he found a "Finisher" in Halttunen. His goals are not pretty because he is always in front of the net. We'll see if this translate in the higher levels AHL and NHL.
Should go to Pav's class on puck tipping.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Means he's a long term project with a lower chance of success.

I hope this is correct and the report on Twitter was not.
Yep, I don't understand MG with this pick at all. Like this was highway reach... I would have been more calm if it was at least a defencemen or a goalie.

Reactions: themelkman

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Eh. I liked the first three picks. I’ll give Grier the benefit here.
Exactly. First 3 picks ideally address our talent vacuum in the top 6, and are not a reach in seeing that manifest. Those were all home runs in my opinion. Don’t love the Svoboda pick here, but will give him some benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: TheBeard

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Without knowing anything else about Svoboda, the fact he’s a 6’3 right shot center alone is enough for there to be a realistic path to a bottom six role for him someday.

The problem with DWJr’s smurf army is they had no shot of contributing to a NHL team unless they made it as top six forwards which was extremely unlikely in the vast majority of cases.

• Haha
Reactions: DG93 and Sharkz4Fun

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
That's what he is even at Boston.
If he's not ready to play at BU this year and needs to go back to the USHL, means he's farther behind in his development than if he was able to go to BU right away. If he's that far behind he shouldn't be selected in the 3rd round, let alone traded up for. That pick could've been used on someone farther along in their development/higher upside etc.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
I think he means concerning because why would you draft that.

Reminds me of Gushchin who did that because of Covid although he scored about a PPG and not less than half a PPG
You would draft that because of Boston potential. I'm tired of making this joke but at this point it's not a joke. Boston/Height > Everything else is the MO.

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018

He has some funny movement in skating and shooting. But definitely has flashes of vision and scores some good looking goals. Odd to trade 2 picks (including perron) for him but maybe Grier thinks he can be developed.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Without knowing anything else about Svoboda, the fact he’s a 6’3 right shot center alone is enough for there to be a realistic path to a bottom six role for him someday.

The problem with DWJr’s smurf army is they had no shot of contributing to a NHL team unless they made it as top six forwards which was extremely unlikely in the vast majority of cases.
I can see where you're coming from but at 3rd round I would still be looking for gems and players that could become big contributers in top 9 f or top 4 d. I don't understand why trade your 94+100 for a maybe bottom sixer. Jayden Perron just went to Carolina with 94th pick...

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
If he's not ready to play at BU this year and needs to go back to the USHL, means he's farther behind in his development than if he was able to go to BU right away. If he's that far behind he shouldn't be selected in the 3rd round, let alone traded up for. That pick could've been used on someone farther along in their development/higher upside etc.
I mean I agree completely, I'm just trying to make sense of it

Reactions: Lebanezer

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
should be taking high upside swings after round 2
The % of picks after the 2nd round who become top half of the lineup players is insanely small. There’s value in mining cost controlled depth too, either for your roster or as trade chips other teams will value.

Reactions: bullslugg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad