GDT: 2023 NHL ENTRY DRAFT June 28 and 29. First round and then rounds 2-7. (ESPN, NHL network, SN, TVA sports 4pm and 8am Pacific Time)

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Did he miss on anyone significant? Iirc we just didn't have great picks and he had to try to take high risk for high upside?

Was he any worse than Burke?
Ozzy and Merkley are probably the big ones but he made some really weird picks from like the 4th round down most years, which isnt the worst thing. The covid year, I think he was being too clever taking all the OHL guys who didn't play and didn't get much talent out of it.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Still avail:

LD: Cagnoni, Price
RD: Brzustewicz,
RW: Ziemmer
C: Perron
LW: Suniev
G: Fowler, Ratzlaff

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If you look at his stat progression, he has pretty much always played up a league or year (or two) against older kids and was a point per game or better player. He first real stumble was this last year promoting up to Liiga because he appeared to be statistically dominant in lower leagues and presumably had nothing left to gain in those leagues. This kid has had stellar stats in all of what would be his bantam and AAA years as a NA equivalent. Tons of potential here and well worth an early second rounder looking at his progression and frequent promotions up a league along the way.
It seems like they're really going for these kids who have a lot of drive to improve and are making some bets on raw talent and upside. Seems like Haltunnen is really toolsy right now but could polish into a good player

Reactions: ISharkted

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If we still had our 3rd, I would have taken Fowler. I low-key think he could be the best goalie in the draft.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
It’s more that we haven’t gotten a single contributor from his whole tenure. In the 2000’s and early 2010’s, it felt like every year someone came out of nowhere and became a meaningful contributor.
Who did we miss on? Any names we should have gotten?

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
It seems like they're really going for these kids who have a lot of drive to improve and are making some bets on raw talent and upside. Seems like Haltunnen is really toolsy right now but could polish into a good player
Absolutely agree. GMMG and team have done a stellar job so far. My qualifying word being “potentially” it is not a stretch or reach to state that we just pulled 3 top 6’ers out of this draft. Smith and Musty as both top line talents and Halttunen a second line wing. Very happy thus far.

Reactions: Alaskanice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad