Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Potential Selection Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
Only if we bring Hunter back. NOT
Why not Dale Hunter

He nows the players he has and puts systems in place that work.

This yr is probably his best coaching, he is talking a team that shouldn't be 2 games from the Memorial Cup.

They also lost there starter.

Although I don't think he wants to coach in the NHL anyways.

Reactions: geo25
Mar 12, 2009
I have Cowan ranked higher than Barkey.

I have Barkey as late 3rd at best, and honestly, he is probably going to drop even more than that. Wouldn't be the first time I have a guy like him in that range drop into the 5th or 6th round.
From my viewings I'd have Barkey over Cowan with it not being that close. Size is Barkey's only real problem. He's one of the kinds of players the Hunters get the most out of.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
From my viewings I'd have Barkey over Cowan with it not being that close. Size is Barkey's only real problem. He's one of the kinds of players the Hunters get the most out of.

His size-skating combination is the main concern. If he was average-sized, his skating is fine. Or if his skating was elite, then his size is fine. But we've seen with other guys with similar issues with speed and strength (his edges are more than fine for his size) who have trouble transitioning and also end up falling on draft boards.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Easton Cowan has been brought up more than once now by people that I know heavy into prospects, however we have no 2nd/3rd to take him.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
If we trade down / acquire another pick I’d love to snag Carson Rehkopf. Big body power forward, heavy hitter, heavy shot and can actually skate.

Wouldn’t pick him at 28 but can see him going in the 35-40ish range

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
If we trade down / acquire another pick I’d love to snag Carson Rehkopf. Big body power forward, heavy hitter, heavy shot and can actually skate.

Wouldn’t pick him at 28 but can see him going in the 35-40ish range
I've been wanting him for months now. I'd still take him at 28 because I don't trust teams like Carolina at 30 since they always take players I like in the 1st 3 rounds.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I've been wanting him for months now. I'd still take him at 28 because I don't trust teams like Carolina at 30 since they always take players I like in the 1st 3 rounds.

Yep, if you like the player and he fits into team needs, you take him at 28.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I think those days are over ;-)
I saw that Treviling made a couple of trade downs in the past, so maybe? I'm not a draft expert by any stretch, but it certainly seems like the depth of quality prospects extends through the top 40. Could be a great year for a trade down.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I saw that Treviling made a couple of trade downs in the past, so maybe? I'm not a draft expert by any stretch, but it certainly seems like the depth of quality prospects extends through the top 40. Could be a great year for a trade down.
True. My annual ritual is watching the Friday night draft with anticipation right up to the point where we trade our pick. I was getting wise to Kyle so I didn’t get my hopes up. Now I’m back to guessing :)

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Over/Under 8 slots down from pick 28 we'll have to drop for someone to absorb Matt Murray?

For the love of Christ, this franchise cannot keep giving away draft picks to erase terrible contracts.

The buyout for Murray is less than a $700k cap hit this year. He will be bought out at the earliest possible opportunity.

Reactions: Rob Brown

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
For the love of Christ, this franchise cannot keep giving away draft picks to erase terrible contracts.

The buyout for Murray is less than a $700k cap hit this year. He will be bought out at the earliest possible opportunity.

The buy out hit is 2M for 2024-2025 though. Buyout should be the last possible outcome because of that. But it's possible they just do it.

I don't suspect it would take much to pawn off Murray in some way. A few teams probably wouldn't mind a 1 year gamble, especially rebuilding teams that have a ton of cap space. But it will likely cost a mid/late round pick or perhaps a similar deal to the Mrazek trade.

Last edited:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Buyout isn't gonna happen. If anything we'd eat some of the salary and get the highest pick we possibly could for him and maybe an AHL player or something. I think we could trade the contract without eating salary but maybe it's worth retaining some if it can get you a pick in a round or 2 earlier.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Buyout isn't gonna happen. If anything we'd eat some of the salary and get the highest pick we possibly could for him and maybe an AHL player or something. I think we could trade the contract without eating salary but maybe it's worth retaining some if it can get you a pick in a round or 2 earlier.

No possible chance anyone would even be willing to trade a used water bottle for Murray.

He’s overpaid, injury prone and mediocre at best.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
No possible chance anyone would even be willing to trade a used water bottle for Murray.

He’s overpaid, injury prone and mediocre at best.
He's only got a year left at 4.6 mil. A team desperate for a goalie will take that chance because he didn't look awful here once he started to get comfortable but unfortunately whenever he did start to play well he got injured.Some of those injuries were just so unlucky too. It's also why I said if we retain salary that maybe we'd get an even better return because we're basically just buying a better pick.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He's only got a year left at 4.6 mil. A team desperate for a goalie will take that chance because he didn't look awful here once he started to get comfortable but unfortunately whenever he did start to play well he got injured.Some of those injuries were just so unlucky too. It's also why I said if we retain salary that maybe we'd get an even better return because we're basically just buying a better pick.

Exactly what I've been saying for a while.

This is effectively how the UFA goalie market breaks down:

Good, young-ish tandem guys: Adin Hill, Tristan Jarry, Joonas Korpisalo, MacKenzie Blackwood (likely non-tendered) - PIT, OTT, DET, LA, CAR, SEA
Solid veteran 1B's:
Frederik Andersen, Antti Raanta, Semyon Varlamov - VGK, NYI, CAR, DET, SEA
Older backups who may have a little bit left in the tank:
Cam Talbot, Martin Jones, James Reimer, Alex Stalock - NYI, SJS, NYR, WPG, TBL, VAN, SEA
Slightly younger backups who may get jobs behind guys like Shestyerkin/Vasilevsky/Sorokin
: David Rittich, Alex Nedeljkovic, Anthony Stolarz, Alex Lyon, Joey Daccord - NYI, SJS, NYR, WPG, TBL, VAN, FLA, SEA
Guys who should just retire:
Brian Elliott, Jonathan Quick, Craig Anderson, Thomas Greiss, Jaroslav Halak

The rest are #3's at best and may find jobs in BUF, STL, ANA, TOR, PHI, NJD, NYI, etc.

Hill, Jarry, and Korpisalo are likely getting nice deals. Blackwood, Andersen, Raanta, and Varlamov are likely getting deals in the 2-2.5 mill range (Varlamov likely gets another 1-1.5 mill in performance bonuses to take it up to the 3.5 mill range). The rest are probably under 1.5 mill.

Murray with full retention would likely fall in that 2nd category with Blackwood, Andersen, Raanta, and Varlamov, and I could see us getting like a 4th for him if we do that.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Exactly what I've been saying for a while.

This is effectively how the UFA goalie market breaks down:

Good, young-ish tandem guys: Adin Hill, Tristan Jarry, Joonas Korpisalo, MacKenzie Blackwood (likely non-tendered) - PIT, OTT, DET, LA, CAR, SEA
Solid veteran 1B's:
Frederik Andersen, Antti Raanta, Semyon Varlamov - VGK, NYI, CAR, DET, SEA
Older backups who may have a little bit left in the tank:
Cam Talbot, Martin Jones, James Reimer, Alex Stalock - NYI, SJS, NYR, WPG, TBL, VAN, SEA
Slightly younger backups who may get jobs behind guys like Shestyerkin/Vasilevsky/Sorokin
: David Rittich, Alex Nedeljkovic, Anthony Stolarz, Alex Lyon, Joey Daccord - NYI, SJS, NYR, WPG, TBL, VAN, FLA, SEA
Guys who should just retire:
Brian Elliott, Jonathan Quick, Craig Anderson, Thomas Greiss, Jaroslav Halak

The rest are #3's at best and may find jobs in BUF, STL, ANA, TOR, PHI, NJD, NYI, etc.

Hill, Jarry, and Korpisalo are likely getting nice deals. Blackwood, Andersen, Raanta, and Varlamov are likely getting deals in the 2-2.5 mill range (Varlamov likely gets another 1-1.5 mill in performance bonuses to take it up to the 3.5 mill range). The rest are probably under 1.5 mill.

Murray with full retention would likely fall in that 2nd category with Blackwood, Andersen, Raanta, and Varlamov, and I could see us getting like a 4th for him if we do that.
I know someone who is a Pens fan and he does not want Jarry back at all. He actually liked the idea of possibly bringing Murray back as well.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I know someone who is a Pens fan and he does not want Jarry back at all. He actually liked the idea of possibly bringing Murray back as well.

Oh I would not be excited about Jarry at all either.

But at the same time, he and Hill are probably the best bets for starters in UFA. Korpisalo is too sporadic to be anything more than a 1B, and he may very well regress to being a subpar backup again too.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Oh I would not be excited about Jarry at all either.

But at the same time, he and Hill are probably the best bets for starters in UFA. Korpisalo is too sporadic to be anything more than a 1B, and he may very well regress to being a subpar backup again too.
Hill isnt as good as he's seeming to play... he isnt a full time starter material.
Jarry is the only real 'starter', and he has injury issues almost as bad as Murray
the older ones are slightly better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad