Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Potential Selection Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Best case scenario is the leafs trade down for 3 picks. Maybe a team with lots of picks looking to add another first.

Maybe Anaheim:

28th for 33rd, 65th and 129th...

I like a lot of guys from the 2nd-3rd round range.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
To honour the memory of Kyle Dubas the Leafs should use all of their picks to draft guys from the Soo Greyhounds.

Reactions: hockeynorth

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Its the same discussion every year. We should trade down because we don't have enough picks or try to fill organizational gaps or BPA no matter what. I suspect clubs do all 3 depending on the separation in talent.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Its the same discussion every year. We should trade down because we don't have enough picks or try to fill organizational gaps or BPA no matter what. I suspect clubs do all 3 depending on the separation in talent.
We either pick 28 or I look to Chicago (if Murray will waive) and try to get Ottawa's pick, 44th overall and attach Murray in the deal.

Similar to the Mrazek deal.

Last edited:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Best case scenario is the leafs trade down for 3 picks. Maybe a team with lots of picks looking to add another first.

Maybe Anaheim:

28th for 33rd, 65th and 129th...

I like a lot of guys from the 2nd-3rd round range.
That seems like way too much value to move up 5 spots

I have to assume the scouting staff will make the pick here.

Mitch nylander

Jun 2, 2016
Cowan really came on strong in the second half and playoffs. He is still not a high pick but he should be getting attention in the early 3rd.
I like him in the third. I actually prefer him to Barkey. I think Barkey's speed is not good enough for his size. Amazing Iq and vision though

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I like him in the third. I actually prefer him to Barkey. I think Barkey's speed is not good enough for his size. Amazing Iq and vision though

I have Cowan ranked higher than Barkey.

I have Barkey as late 3rd at best, and honestly, he is probably going to drop even more than that. Wouldn't be the first time I have a guy like him in that range drop into the 5th or 6th round.

Mitch nylander

Jun 2, 2016
I have Cowan ranked higher than Barkey.

I have Barkey as late 3rd at best, and honestly, he is probably going to drop even more than that. Wouldn't be the first time I have a guy like him in that range drop into the 5th or 6th round.

Cowan has a safer floor. Where as Barkey is a swing for the fences type pick, will be curious to see where he ends up. Rankings have him between rounds 2 and 4.

The O, has no high-end talent this year, but I feel it has far more depth than the rest of the chl.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Cowan has a safer floor. Where as Barkey is a swing for the fences type pick, will be curious to see where he ends up. Rankings have him between rounds 2 and 4.

The O, has no high-end talent this year, but I feel it has far more depth than the rest of the chl.

WHL has them beat in all facets.

Goaltending: Ratzlaff and Bjarnason. 2 of the best goalie prospects in the draft. OHL has maybe Bowen, and even he is too inconsistent to take with more than a late round pick.
Defense: WHL I think has the best prospect out of the bunch and probably more bodies, but OHL has more ~top 50 talent. Brzustewicz, Akey, Bertucci, Bonk, Allen, Burns, Gibson, Mania vs. Molendyk, Price, Dragicevic, Cagnoni, Sotheran, Mynio, Leslie, Parker... And I could probably name more worthwhile late round guys out of the WHL than out of the OHL though.
Offense: WHL and its not even close. Easily the best forward draft out of the WHL ever, and you can even take Bedard out of the equation. OHL is fine, but it doesn't match up to the WHL anywhere.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Wrong. You’re acquiring assets not guys ready to play tomorrow.

you take the best player. If he develops you can always trade them to fill a greater need.

And if BPA is really not something you like, then just trade down.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
We either pick 28 or I look to Chicago (if Murray will waive) and try to get Ottawa's pick, 44th overall and attach Murray in the deal.

Similar to the Mrazek deal.

Murray has a buyout that will only count for $700k against the cap next year.

For the love of God - - stop wasting first round picks to get rid of the terrible contracts Dubas gave out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad